Trip for bobcat photos...Point Reyes

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Viathelens

Supporting Member
Marketplace
I'm setting up a two-day trip in Point Reyes with a guide, Daniel Dietrich, this is near San Francisco if you are not familiar with it. I know there are several people on this site that live in the area.

My primary goal is to photograph bobcats, as I've told him, but there is various other wildlife, including birds and elk. I'm putting this out to see if anyone would like to join me on this trip, that will reduce the cost for the two days by half. If I go alone it's about $1500 for the two days.

Cost: for 2 persons for 2 full days will be $1790, your cost would be half, $895 total, for the two days.
Date: Sept. 6 & 7

You'd make your own motel and food arrangements.

PM me if you are interested.

Connie

Sadly it's a bit too soon. I am going to Point Reyes (and may hire Daniel as well for bobcats), but my dates are fixed for end of September.
I started out with a date around the 20th but then found another tour I thought sounded good and I wanted to sign up for that and of course it was on the same date. So, I changed the date and now I can do both! The second one is a boat tour of the area around the San Juan islands in WA.

Just an fyi - I lived in the Bay Area about 10 years ago and I would drive to Point Reyes many weekends to photograph Tule elk, Bobcats, hawks, coyotes , quail and owls. I had very good luck with Bobcat sightings on Estero Trailhead off Sir Francis Drake Highway. I would drive up and down that road stopping many times to glass those guys - often not disappointed. Have a good trip and good luck shooting there - it’s a beautiful area.

Last edited:
It's been about 6 years now, but did a Point Reyes tour with Daniel and was very impressed. We didn't go specifically for bobcats, but on the first morning he picked us up and off we went. As he was drving along about 45mph, he suddenly braked and said " just saw a bobcat up in that field". Sure enough, there was one quite far away. How he saw it I have no idea. On the second day he found another one as well. I would definitely use him again if I revisit Pt. Reyes.

Last edited:
My wife and I hired Daniel as a guide and were very glad that we did. He took us to an area where river otters hunt and found owls hidden in the trees and was amazing at being able to drive and watch the road and be able to spot bobcats on the hillsides.

Just an fyi - I lived in the Bay Area about 10 years ago and I would drive to Point Reyes many weekends to photograph Tule elk, Bobcats, hawks, coyotes , quail and owls. I had very good luck with Bobcat sightings on Estero Trailhead off Sir Francis Drake Highway. I would drive up and down that road stopping many times to glass those guys - often not disappointed. Have a good trip and good luck shooting there - it’s a beautiful area.
Thanks for the tip! Will check it out

Weather is not so much a concern as visibility when there are wildfires burning in Oregon or California.

Smoke from fires is not healthy to breath and results in grey skies as well. I have cancelled many trips in the past few years in California, Oregon, Idaho, and Montana, as a result of large fires sending smoke and particles many hundreds of miles.

Weather is not so much a concern as visibility when there are wildfires burning in Oregon or California.

Smoke from fires is not healthy to breath and results in grey skies as well. I have cancelled many trips in the past few years in California, Oregon, Idaho, and Montana, as a result of large fires sending smoke and particles many hundreds of miles.
The prevailing winds send wildfire smoke east so it's typically not a problem at Point Reyes. The fires most often are late summer/early fall.

Back