Tripod Bag and/or QD Strap

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

I have a RRS TVC24 tripod with BH-40. I'm looking at tripod cases (for storage and traveling) and possibly a quick detach (QD) strap system (for field use). I've been looking at RRS cases. Although RRS recommends the 'small' case for the TVC24/BH-40, some reviews on the B&H site state the small case is too tight. Has anyone experienced this? Also, has anyone used the RRS QD collar/QD mount and the Magpul strap? Or recommend an alternate strap system?

I have a RRS TVC24 tripod with BH-40. I'm looking at tripod cases (for storage and traveling) and possibly a quick detach (QD) strap system (for field use). I've been looking at RRS cases. Although RRS recommends the 'small' case for the TVC24/BH-40, some reviews on the B&H site state the small case is too tight. Has anyone experienced this? Also, has anyone used the RRS QD collar/QD mount and the Magpul strap? Or recommend an alternate strap system?

Magpul is as tough as it gets and RRS now puts QD sockets everywhere. I have a larger RRS tripod which has a socket on top, added collar, bought two Magpul thingies directly from them and fashioned my own strap. Not a fan of sling-style.

You must have a usage situation different than mine. I find tripod straps and cases more of a nuisance than something needed. When shooting I carry the tripod over my shoulder, usually with camera, gimbal and lens attached. Where would I store a strap and/or case when shooting? Same situation traveling. The tripod either goes in the car/truck or in checked luggage surrounded by clothes.

You must have a usage situation different than mine. I find tripod straps and cases more of a nuisance than something needed. When shooting I carry the tripod over my shoulder, usually with camera, gimbal and lens attached. Where would I store a strap and/or case when shooting? Same situation traveling. The tripod either goes in the car/truck or in checked luggage surrounded by clothes.

I've never taken my tripod on a plane. I can see where a case would be cumbersome and take up too much room in my luggage. You made a good point here. Too much excess stuff! When traveling via car, I like to put my tripod in a case. I usually just carry the tripod in the field detached from my camera. Sometimes my husband carries my tripod while I scout out a location and he likes a strap.

I have the RRS TVC 24L tripod and usually use it with a RRS BH-55 ballhead, sometimes with a leveling base. I find it a bit awkward to carry in the field with camera and lens attached. I also tend to prefer to not strap it to my camera backpack.

I got a RRS case for the tripod which will hold it with the head attached. I find I tend to use the case for (i) storage at home and (ii) when I throw the tripod in car to drive somewhere. I have not found it that useful in the field, as you have to do something with it after you take the tripod out. It also tends not to fit as well in my luggage, so I have not taken it when traveling by plane.

I recently got a RRS QD attachment set for the tripod and a QD strap. It works ok (better than carrying the tripod in my hand) and I can put the strap in my photo vest when I am not using it. One thing I did not anticipate -- with the ballhead attached (and even more so with both the ballhead and leveling base attached), it is top heavy on the strap. It seems to work better to carry on the strap with the ballhead end down.

Check the measurements an see what is available from B&H which has had the largest selection with my past searches. I like ones with a large outer pocket that closes with a zipper and can hold extra items separate from the tripod legs.

Fortunately with my two Feisol tripods I not only got a better tripod than with RRS or Gitzo, I also got excellent Feisol carry cases included at no extra cost.

I own a Gitzo carbon fiber tripod, and purchased a Gitzo case for it, but never use it. To be honest, for me it was a total waste of money, and I regret buying it in the first place. When I travel locally, I just toss my tripod in the back of the car, and when I fly elsewhere I pack my tripod in my checked luggage, surrounded by clothing, since most airlines only permit one carry-on, which in my case is always my cameras and lenses. My beautiful Gitzo tripod case continues to collect dust under my bed, but I'd be happy to clean it up and sell it to someone else! 🥴

I've converted all my cameras and lenses to the Magpul system. I do not like the Magpul strap so I just bought the QD connectors and have them on a Black Rapid strap Cameras are equipped with RRS or Kick bottom plates and all have the connection port in them Most of my lenses with tripod feet have been switched to feet with the pots also. I've had no problems with them so far its it's an easy connection to attach and remove for tripod/monopod use. I just purchased the rifle QDs witch are the same as the Magpul's QD and less expensive. I figure if they would hold a rifle they would hold a camera with a long lens attached. The QDs with the "C" shaped rings work perfect with the BR snap.

I have two Gitzo and one RRS tripods of various sizes. I have on f-stop tripod (soft) bag that is great for throwing in the back of the car. The have two sizes, are extremely tough, and inexpensive.

Back