Tripod bracket suggestions for Z8

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Kevin.M

Supporting Member
Marketplace
I would like to get an “L” bracket for my Z8 to mount the camera with the 14-24 f2.8 lens on my tripod. I’m using a RRS tripod and used the RRS “L” bracket on my D850 which worked great, before I invest I’m asking for opinions if there are other options. Thanks in advance for your advice.

Kevin

When I received my Z8 last summer RRS's L bracket wasn't available, so I tried the Smallrig version and for $50 it is great. If RRS's was available I would have bought it, but I'm not going to upgrade as I find the Smallrig is good. Works well with my BH-55 ball head for macro and my off camera flash bracket.

I have the RRS L bracket for my Z8. Like it. As usual, well made and pricey.

Thought about the new generic L bracket from RRS, thinking it might work for what comes after the Z8. But recall reading somewhere (can't remember where) that it did not fit the Z8 well. I have read in the Perry forum that it fits the Zf well.

I have used and like Kirk products (plates and a collar for my 180-600), but have not tried their L brackets.

I have both the Smallrig L-bracket, and the Three-Legged Thing Zooey for my Z8. I prefer the latter as it is less fiddly and doesn't block access to the battery door, but both seem to work fine. My main tripod is Peak Design, and the Zooey comes with a Capture Clip compatible adapter. Both are Arca-compatible.

I have the Kirk L bracket on both my Z9 and Z8. I believe it is slightly less expensive than the RRS model but is of comparable quality. I have also used RRS on other bodies and find both to be excellent products.

Like Phil P, I have used RRS for years, but tried the Smallrig when it was the only thing available, and it has been all that I need. I appreciate the integrated tool for installation, and having the bracket run the full length of the body also allows it to sit flat when not mounted on a tripod. Considering that when I've sold my old gear, the RRS brackets have been worth very little, I think the Smallrig is a solid, economical solution.

Back