Tripod Maintenance Suggestions

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Hi all,

I just received my first "serious" tripod and was just wondering what your suggestions were in terms of tripod maintenance.
Eg: What do you clean legs, threads, screws, etc. with and what kind of grease do you use for the threads after the fact?

I just want to ensure everything keeps working in tip top shape!

Thanks for your help/suggestions!

Daniel

Thanks for your help/suggestions!
I wipe down the tripod legs, ideally before retracting them after shooting in any kind of dirty, mucky conditions. If they get very wet I'll wipe them down when I get home.

Other than that I don't do regular maintenance but in several decades of owning Gitzo, Velbon, Manfrotto and other high end tripods I've only had to do actual repair work once or twice and then I follow the manufacturer's instructions. I wouldn't recommend regularly breaking down and lubing or otherwise getting deep into the tripod workings and if you do have to do that I'd contact the manufacturer for spare parts, advice on things like lubricants or lack thereof.

I have had to tear down and clean my tripod because of sand. Always extend your bottom leg a bit so this doesn't happen or better if your are going to chase birds on the beach, use a skimmer. I followed manufacturers recommendations for grease. Other than that, I wipe down the tripod after being in water and leave the legs extended so it can dry out over night.

I don't have much of a problem with sand or debris getting into my RRS tripod. It's been more of a problem with my two Gitzo tripods. I had to disassemble them regularly. You want to make sure to clean sand and grit off the threads of the leg locks. Usually that's easy by just wiping them - possibly multiple times. But if necessary, you can take them apart and then wash and wipe out the inside of the leg locks. Just make sure you are careful with the position of shims inside the legs. I remove the tripod feet and keep the leg locks loose while it dries. If you reassemble the tripod and it seems sticky, it's almost always because you did not position the shims correctly.

If your tripod is in muddy water or salt water, you'll need to at least give it a good rinse and most likely will want to partially disassemble it. Clear water is just fine, but you should take care to remove any salt water or salt residue. I rinse my tripod legs the same day as soon as I return to my room or home.

For lubrication, use white or clear bicycle chain lubricant. It's available on Amazon and is not expensive - just $4 for a tube.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000XBH9HI/?tag=backcogaller-20

Just a small amount on the threads of your leg locks makes a big difference. It can also help flush out any grit in the threads.

Back