Trying out a different crop - Brown-fronted woodpecker

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Although I am not a super-creative and thinking out of the box type person, at times it does occur to me to let out my creative self and try things.
In recent times like many others I have started liking incorporating the habitat into my wildlife images, and one way of dealing with the cropping of those images which I have fallen in love with is a super-wide crop which emphasizes the landscape even more in my view.
What do you guys think??

Brownfrontedwoodpecker-2.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

I can see why you like it Prashant, and I also like it cropped vertically as it has enough environment to tell the woodpecker’s story and mirrors his focus on pecking with a tight focus on him! But I like the calmness of the scene in the way you’ve cropped it, too. Just different I suppose.

I can see why you like it Prashant, and I also like it cropped vertically as it has enough environment to tell the woodpecker’s story and mirrors his focus on pecking with a tight focus on him! But I like the calmness of the scene in the way you’ve cropped it, too. Just different I suppose.
Thanks a lot for telling why you liked it.!!

Works for me. I like to keep the environment in most of my wildlife photo as well. It gives the viewer a sense of where the creature lives, and sometimes a sense of the daily struggle for survival. I frequently use a 16:9 crop vertical or horizontal and in some I use an even narrower and wider crop. I didn't see the original of the above but I like the way you cropped this one. As someone said above, you may want to play with a vertical crop of the same or similar aspect ratio and see how that looks. It's always fun (at least for me) to play with different crops, aspect ratios and the like) when have an image I like.

Works for me. I like to keep the environment in most of my wildlife photo as well. It gives the viewer a sense of where the creature lives, and sometimes a sense of the daily struggle for survival. I frequently use a 16:9 crop vertical or horizontal and in some I use an even narrower and wider crop. I didn't see the original of the above but I like the way you cropped this one. As someone said above, you may want to play with a vertical crop of the same or similar aspect ratio and see how that looks. It's always fun (at least for me) to play with different crops, aspect ratios and the like) when have an image I like.
Appreciate your insights Jeff!! I have similar line of thoughts with showing the landscape as much as possible while giving max priority to the subject as well. I havent thought about vertical thoughts on this one but the idea does spark some interest..And yes, it is fun to work with different styles of crops and edits and have different versions of the same image. :D :D :D

Appreciate your insights Jeff!! I have similar line of thoughts with showing the landscape as much as possible while giving max priority to the subject as well. I havent thought about vertical thoughts on this one but the idea does spark some interest..And yes, it is fun to work with different styles of crops and edits and have different versions of the same image. :D :D :D
I have one I took 2 days ago of a goldfinch (small bird) eating seeds on a thistle plant. I've done horizontal and vertical crop on it and still debating which perspective I like the best. Unfortunately it's not a "portfolio photo" so it's an academic exercise.

I have one I took 2 days ago of a goldfinch (small bird) eating seeds on a thistle plant. I've done horizontal and vertical crop on it and still debating which perspective I like the best. Unfortunately it's not a "portfolio photo" so it's an academic exercise.
Yes, I understand, it dosent work everytime, you do need some conditions to be fulfilled to make the best of the crop/edit or any other thing you plan to do differently. And the more images you work with, the more youll get an idea of when to use where..

I am no expert but agree to the wide crop showing the surrounding environment too and unfortunately necessary if crop too much for my resolution needs. Sorry to see woodpecker likes your rhododendron or is this a wild one? Too bad not in bloom yet but may distract from the woodpecker. I do like narrow vertical in some cases of tall plants with bird perching in case of say tule like plants. Again ,as you stated, doesn't work every time.

I am no expert but agree to the wide crop showing the surrounding environment too and unfortunately necessary if crop too much for my resolution needs. Sorry to see woodpecker likes your rhododendron or is this a wild one? Too bad not in bloom yet but may distract from the woodpecker. I do like narrow vertical in some cases of tall plants with bird perching in case of say tule like plants. Again ,as you stated, doesn't work every time.
Yes, it does seem like a wild one and this was in peak winter so months away from blooming, the woodpecker was pretty low on the tree and almost in level with the plants as you stated, but that very thing triggered me(obviously apart from the golden light which hardly lasts minutes in higher altitudes and one would shoot anything that comes in vision in it ) to take some shots as it was pretty much at eye level.
Thanks for your inputs, will try to choose my angles next time such that i dont get much distractions :D :D :D

Back