TSA and cameras

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Frankfurt airport for example is notorious for unfriendly security staff and on numerous of times did I had to take everything out of my camera bag and put it in a container.
Recently were new scanners brought in use and everything, including laptops, can remain in the bag, I believe also liquids.
I truly hope that these scanners are indeed come in use at more airports.
As a general rule do i indeed follow the guidelines from @EricBowles :
- I do not put any Li-Ion batteries in my checked in bags
- all different cables and chargers go in pouches that go on part in the backpack
- lenses are not attached to a body
- Spare camera batteries go in pouches from ThinkTank and in th backpack

I want to be ready for photography on arrival hence I have a USB adaptor, USB cables and an MH-33 and/or MH-34 charger, depending on the type of body I take with me. Of course are all batteries charged prior starting my travel.
A pouch with cleaning stuff, tripod, ballhead/gimbal, ... goes in my checked luggage. If that should arrive late is that not a big drama.

Some airlines only allow one extra battery.
I use pelican bags but not for travel.
An airtag in the bag might help it from getting lost...🦘
Can you tell us which airline only allowed you one extra battery (and when that was)? As someone who brings 5 plus spare batteries, that would be a disaster! Once I had a spare battery in my pocket (had forgotten about it) and they asked me to put it in the carry on (not sure why that would make a difference), but never had them tell me only one spare battery allowed.

Might be interesting:

But contradicted by this site

FAA website
Well according to the regulations, there are no limits for spare batteries the size of a camera battery. So not sure how a TSA agent can prevent one from carrying more than one spare. However, guess one can't argue with them. Once they confiscated a small Allen wrench I had in my carry on since they said it could be used "as a weapon". I tried to say it was to tighten the nuts on my tripod, but there was no way he was going to allow it in my carry on.

Back