Tufted Titmouse Canon 6D Mark ll, Tamron 150-600 G2 @600mm, f7.1, 1/800s, ISO800

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

79.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

I certainly agree about the difficulty in getting good shots of this bird. A few things I would consider on this image; the eye looks a little soft to me and I might want to selectively sharpen it. I use Topaz Sharpen AI. Does not always work, but sometimes it is amazing how it will help on a slightly OOF eye. Second, I would desaturate the yellows in the BG. It is somewhat distracting now. Third, I would take down the exposure of the perch. This is a problem I frequently run into-the perch is brighter than the bird. Anyway, good effort in getting the bird in the open.

I certainly agree about the difficulty in getting good shots of this bird. A few things I would consider on this image; the eye looks a little soft to me and I might want to selectively sharpen it. I use Topaz Sharpen AI. Does not always work, but sometimes it is amazing how it will help on a slightly OOF eye. Second, I would desaturate the yellows in the BG. It is somewhat distracting now. Third, I would take down the exposure of the perch. This is a problem I frequently run into-the perch is brighter than the bird. Anyway, good effort in getting the bird in the open.
I have Topaz AI sharpen. How would I selectively sharpen the eye? Thanks

I have Topaz AI sharpen. How would I selectively sharpen the eye? Thanks
There are several ways to do it. Easiest is to use the masking feature of Topaz Sharpen AI. When you open the program with your picture on the upper toolbar there is a "masking" icon. You click on this and then use the brush to apply the mask to the eye. On the bottom toolbar there is an "apply mask" icon. Click it. Then you select the method or "mode" you want Sharpen to use. In the latest versions the program will select the best approach for you if you want. I have found it to be pretty good in selecting the mode and the strength; not perfect but usually in the ball park. Your bird's eye is not bad so Sharpen AI should make a definite difference. You can also use Photoshop to select and mask the eye and then manipulate it to your heart's content but Sharpen would be the easiest.

Back