Turn off image stabilization when using high shutter speed

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

You could have a look at this thread. Varied opinions and can get political on some sites.

Yep. Been done to death here and many other places. You won't find any single answer that proves the point beyond doubt. At the end of any alleged testing that's said to have been done it comes down to what the photographer perceives to be the result which may not match with the perception of others.

FWIW I never turn stabilisation of but there would be just as many others who would do the opposite.

If there was a resource that prompted your question I'd be interested to have a look at it.

I have done both...on purpose and by accident🤣
I honestly can't say I've ever seen a difference in any way in any image. I'm talking about thousands of shots...maybe tens of thousands (too many lenses to name...not the 500PF though so????). Try both...see if you prefer one way over the other. I wouldn't perseverate over it though. You aren't going to ruin a once-in-a-lifetime image because of your VR setting.

Since you said 'need' I'd say read your lens manual. It will tell you what the panning modes are and whether it senses the tripod for you. I'm a Canon shooter and know their generation iii IS is quite smart in that way. I don't know from Nikon. It won't help very much if at all at high shutter speeds, but I don't think it will hurt IQ to leave it turned on. Stalk a distant doorknob and try several shots both ways and view at 100% to see what you see.

I read (maybe here?) that VR helps tremendously through 1/500 of a second - anything faster and you won't see any benefits from VR on your image. I'm not sure if that 1/500 number is the same for IBIS in the Z cameras, but that's a different discussion I suppose.

If you're shooting video, it's essential (IMO).

Mother Nikon doesn't say one way or the other. I guess it may depend on your lens. My own experience is the same as most others...I leave my VR ON, even when taking the lens off the camera, and I have never seen a difference in my photeaux. YMMV! The max 1/500 sec. suggestion came from Thom Hogan's excellent article, and he even suggested that maybe...perhaps...possibly...1/000 sec. could be managed with the VR in newer generation lenses. My problem is if I turn it off, I will maybe...perhaps...probably...forget to turn it back on, and at the worst possible moment! o_O He did leave one bit of information that I wrote down; "if you are moving, (car, boat, train, helicopter) use "ACTIVE" mode, if only the object is moving, use "NORMAL".

I have the same equipment as you and I can't say definitively that it makes a difference. Maybe some serious pixel peeping would show a difference. I leave VR on when handholding and when on a monopod. If I'm using a gimbal head and remember to switch it off I will.

I just now read the instruction manual regarding VR for the 200-500 and 500PF. There is NO mention of turning the VR off above any speed.
As I mentioned earlier, I leave it on at all times. I do notice the focus point may be slightly off where it shows in the viewfinder if I shoot before the VR has settled in, and the manual mentions to allow it to settle before making photos.
It's a user choice, on or off. I like on.

On or off..... seems to make little difference. I prefer the image stability hives when composing. Yo minimise the AF point jumping around at the instant of exposure, as Steve has suggested, I have the VR set to sport.

It's funny (and not to belabor this topic) but I always understood that VR Sport Mode was best used when the "photographer was in motion or on a moving platform" (for example, on a boat). But now, I see that Normal Mode is intended for static subjects, while Sport Mode is intended for action / subjects that move within the frame. Much simpler.

I realize this is a personal RTFM reminder, but my understanding and approach to VR has now been updated. :unsure:

Screen Shot 2021-01-04 at 11.04.31 AM.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

I find the answer to this question to be, "it depends". For me it has depended greatly on the lens. Most lenses I have used having VR enabled when using fast shutter speeds has caused softer than normal images most likely the AF lock is slower due to VR needing to settle before AF can lock well. For a lens like my 500pf where both the VR and AF is very fast and accurate I have seen no issues when using a fast shutter speed and leaving VR on in Sport mode. I have nothing but the seat of my pants feel to go off of, but I feel that when using Normal VR and fast shutter speeds the 500pf is slower to AF.

It's funny (and not to belabor this topic) but I always understood that VR Sport Mode was best used when the "photographer was in motion or on a moving platform" (for example, on a boat). But now, I see that Normal Mode is intended for static subjects, while Sport Mode is intended for action / subjects that move within the frame. Much simpler.

I realize this is a personal RTFM reminder, but my understanding and approach to VR has now been updated. :unsure:

Some older lenses had an "Active" mode that was meant for when the photographer was on a moving platform.

I agree with Fred. As I get older I find that my hand holding stability is sometimes not what I would like it to be. The VR seems to help me keep the AF point where I want it. So while keeping VR on all the time might result in a soft image or two, it’s my opinion that my overall keeper rate is up because of it.

I agree with Fred. As I get older I find that my hand holding stability is sometimes not what I would like it to be. The VR seems to help me keep the AF point where I want it. So while keeping VR on all the time might result in a soft image or two, it’s my opinion that my overall keeper rate is up because of it.

And honestly, that's really the bottom line. There are always a ton of different methods and sometimes people get caught up in the "best" one - but the truth is the "best" depends on the photographer and what gives you the best keeper rate.

Back