Turn off image stabilization when using high shutter speed

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

I recall a while back, Vincent Versace mentioned that VR when on, gets automatically disabled at high shutter speed. Forgot the cut off point.

So leaving it on at all speed is OK.

I need to confirm this, as it was a long time ago, and the firmware update are dynamic with no specific explanations. We are left to fend for ourselves, while the inner NPS circle knows, and we discover by serendipity.

Do I need to turn off image stabilization when using high shutter speed? I am using a Nikon d850 and 500 mm pf.

Short answer NO -- Image Stabilisation it will have little/no impact on the image you take when using shutter speeds faster than 1/350th second. HOWEVER, I say NO because it does help stabilise your viewfinder and the image the AF-sensors are using. The only reason to turn it off -- when NOT using a tripod or very stable shooting platform -- is when it materially slows down your shooting. This feature was greatly helped when "Sport" mode was added, so that the VR-lens element was not recentred between shots.
It should be noted that while using a Z9 and Z-glass VR/IBIS turns itself off when it senses it is on a tripod -- so we can just leave it turned on - and in sport mode when shooting action/high fps ANd in Normal when shooting single shots at very slow shutter speeds.

Last edited:
> "Sport" mode was added, so that the VR-lens element was not recentered between shots.

Ah! That I understand. I like the technical reason, make me appreciate the logic and workings of the process. Now I need to figure out how that applies to the Z9 and the lens VR and in Body VR .and. the sync that occurs between the two. That may explain why I get all too often one blurry picture after a sequential shoot at 20fps, usually the 3 or fourth frame. >> Sharp>Sharp>Sharp>Blurry>Sharp>Sharp>Sharp>Sharp>Sharp> etc.

Unfortunately the VR is lens specific so VR II on one lens may post date "VR" with another lens. Not like the EXPEED processors where one know if a newer generation chip was in the camera. VR on the 80-400mm, 600mm f/4E and the Z 800mm PF lens are quite different in their operation and so no generalizations can be made.

VR in its lens guides and online documentation in its technical documents has stated that VR is useful only for shutter speeds of 1/500s. There is a difference thougth with digital cameras, and especially with high resolution sensors where motion blur is more likely to be evident in images.

With the lenses for the Z cameras where Nikon has not provided a VR setting switch one would assume that it can be enabled the entire time.

I agree wih @Calson. The VR is lens specific. In some old third-part lens the picture in viewfinder will "jump" by focusing, for example.
I use D850 and 500PF and always switch off the VR when photographing above 1/1000s. It saves the battery life and I just have better results, sharper photos. I didn't know why but now @Calson explained it (thanks!). And when I start to shoot bee-eaters or other fast birsd in flight VR even irritates me or obstacles me.
I think it is very subjective and everybody has her/his own technics.

I've seen no issues leaving stabilization on EXCEPT when panning with my Tamron 100-400. If I use regular stabilization the results are blur when doing things like birds in flight. Change to the panning mode which they call mode 2, and all is well. So, I think people who are saying this is a lens specific issue are on the right track.

I generally leave VR on all the time in sport mode. I hand hold almost 100% of the time, but use support (car door, etc.) when I can. Being a little older, I find that I’m not as stable as I used to be, and turning off VR, resulted in some difficulties in keeping the subject where I wanted in the viewfinder, primarily when using longer, and heavier lenses. This is probably not as much of a problem with mirrorless, but I find I have more keepers when using VR as opposed to turning it off. As always, YMMV.

My view on VR On/Off over a certain ss is less of an importance to me now as my current set up Nikon AF-S 300F4/mkII 1.4X tc and this lens has no VR, however I struggle to keep shake down if standing and trying to track small objects as they jumo around all over the place, not too bad if I sit down and can brace the lens/camera better.

N.

Back