two photos I like

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Robert S

What do you think of these?

Bird feeding 02 11 20-7154-DeNoiseAI-standard resize.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

Cocky 24 05 23 -9838-DeNoiseAI-standard resize.jpg

What do you think of these?
If they make you happy, that's the important thing.

Since this is in the critique and feedback section:

- The wing position in that first image is great. Unfortunately the lighting is very difficult. The right wing is over exposed and blown out while the eye is in deep shadow neither of which help the image.

- The second image also has a great wing position but the entire head and both eyes are hidden from view which again is tough from a bird or wildlife photography perspective. The soft lighting in the second image is much nicer than the harsh mid day lighting in the top image.

Making eye contact with wildlife subjects can really make or break a photo. Sure all rules can be broken in some situations but that's a hard one to break effectively. Shooting in mixed direct light is also really hard to deal with which is part of the reason wildlife photographers tend to work at the edges of day or shoot on overcast, rainy or sometimes even bright days but into shadowed areas with consistent softer lighting.

Keep at it, pay attention to the quality of the lighting and really work on images with good eye connection to the viewer. Those opportunities will come with enough time in the field and paying attention to behavior. Sure getting all that to line up while the bird is flying is much tougher but the best bird in flight images will have that kind of viewer to subject eye contact.

Thanks Dave. I accept that the two images are technically mediocre but I like them.
When I was in China the way students were taught to paint was to reproduce an image that others had produced. I'm not sure that would create anything worthwhile.
I don't get out much these days so opportunities are somewhat few.
I did try using flash to get images of birds. I did this from the deck of the granny flat. Tried all different set ups. Ended up using multiple flash units, HS flash, strobes etc. In the end I got disillusioned with the whole enterprise and sold all but one of the flash units and strobes. Looking through old images I found this one which I liked:

17 04 22 PP2-PP3-P4-P5-P6-P7.jpg

I would appreciate a critique of this image. For me it has something, not sure what.

Thanks for taking the time to critique the original two photos, much appreciated.

Thanks Dave. I accept that the two images are technically mediocre but I like them.
When I was in China the way students were taught to paint was to reproduce an image that others had produced. I'm not sure that would create anything worthwhile.
I don't get out much these days so opportunities are somewhat few.
I did try using flash to get images of birds. I did this from the deck of the granny flat. Tried all different set ups. Ended up using multiple flash units, HS flash, strobes etc. In the end I got disillusioned with the whole enterprise and sold all but one of the flash units and strobes. Looking through old images I found this one which I liked:

View attachment 61909

I would appreciate a critique of this image. For me it has something, not sure what.

Thanks for taking the time to critique the original two photos, much appreciated

I saw an older Cambridge in colour discussion about that same image, discussing the moire in the legs.

I saw an older Cambridge in colour discussion about that same image, discussing the moire in the legs.

Yes Bill. At the time I was concerned that moire was showing in some photos but not others. I never did figure out why. I guess it has something to do with the angle that light hits the subject but other than that I'm lost.

Not sure if I posted this in the thread concerning moire.

23 04 22 King PP2-3628-DeNoiseAI-standard-SharpenAI-Focus resize.jpg

The image is a substantial crop. There may be moire on feathers extreme right shoulder of bird, but the rest appear ok to me.

The first has two things that jump out at me: blown whites and manmade objects. On the second image the exposure is much better overall but as the subjects face isn’t visible, there is no point of interest in the photo.

The first has two things that jump out at me: blown whites and manmade objects. On the second image the exposure is much better overall but as the subjects face isn’t visible, there is no point of interest in the photo.
Thanks for the comments Doug. Maybe I'm falling into the trap of remembering other things associated with taking the photos. I need to guard against that.

Back