Update Mar 8 - SanDisk Response and intersting finding -“Hot Card” warning with Z6ii and CFExpress – Do newer/faster CFE cards run cooler?

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

MartyD

Supporting Member
Marketplace
Update again....March 9

Not a good experience with SanDisk support, chatted for several hours, directed to many different places, sure think I answered all of the questions correctly, no real answers and no one wanted to find the answer they wanted to pass it on, decided it wasn't worth my time to pursue it any further. Just hope my CFexpress card will be return in a month or so!

I wanted to update the SanDisk "Hot Card" issue I was having with an Extreme Pro 128 GB CFexpress Card

I contacted SanDisk, it took two submittals to get to the correct SanDisk support department and honestly it was a little confusing as to why SanDisk resonded to my first request and advised me to contact support at a different address which turned out to be the same address I used initially. They advised me to stop using and return the CFE card for replacement and sent me a mailing label and RMA. I have returned the card, it took about a week for the package to be delivered, they advised that it could take 6-9 days for the returned card to be verified and a replacement sent. I am expecting to be without the card for at least 3 weeks and possibley longer.

What I noticed on the SanDisk site, and it can be hard to find, is that there appears to be two versions of the SanDisk Pro CFExpress card. If you choose, Shop, Product Categories, Memory Cards, then filter on Type CFExpress, you will see two different product offerings. One shows starting at $99.99 for a 64 GB, and the other showing $109.99 for a 64 GB but shows a CLEARANCE label on the image. I am not sure what the difference is but the 128 GB version of the first is now selling for $139.99 and the second (supposedly on clearance) is selling for $199.99. I have compared the web site information and even the data sheets for both cards and there does not seem to be any difference in the documentation. I have the first one, SDCFE-128G-GN4NN purchased over a year ago, and the second one is SDCFE-128G-ANCIN. I am not sure how you would know the difference between the cards after purchase. I am interested to see how the replacement card performs and if I can determine which card it is.

Amazon is selling the SDCFE-128G-GN4NN for $139.99
Adorama and B and H Photo are selling the SDCFE-128G-ANCIN for $139.99

I am going to contact SanDisk and see if there is any differences between the two.

My Original Post
I have been getting a Hot Card warning on my Z6ii when shooting some video formats for an extended period to a SanDisk CFExpress card. It has never shut down and I am not sure how concerned I should be about this warning. The camera does feel a little warm but nothing I would be concerned about. CFE cards do run hotter than XQD and the CFE cards do not provide any significant advantage over the XQD cards in my Z6ii so I should probably just shoot with the XQD cards.

My question for those of you that have the latest CFE cards that have much higher sustained write speeds, do they seem to run any cooler?

Last edited:
I find that my SanDisk Extreme CFe cards that I bought to use on my Z7II run quite a bit warmer than the Delkin Black CFe cards that I bought for my Z9. This is the case even though the Delkin Black cards have a higher minimum sustained read and write speed.

I have not used them for any significant amounts of video. I normally see the cards getting warm when I transfer large number of files from the card to my computer using a Sony CFe/XQD reader. Have not gotten any warnings in camera when shooting stills.

some cards definitely run cooler. i don't know if there is a strict correlation to speed, but these days i do pick cards based on heat and performance.

Thanks for the link! It looks like the Delkin Power cards are a good value, they have sustained write speeds almost twice the Sandisk cards and at about half the operating temperature. It is nice that there are becoming more choices for CFE cards.

Z7ii and Z9, not the same cameras. Z9 reports tell me the Z9 is engineered to handle the heat. If you don't need fast cards, don't use fast cards. As a lifelong electronics technician I can assure you that no electronic device will run once you let the smoke out! Maybe in a few months there will be some decent cards at a decent price. Not much choice in today's market. Kudos always goes to the early adapters that blaze the trails into the new frontier! ;)

Back