Update Nikon Firmware For Z Series Cameras And Lenses

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Steve

Admin
Staff member
Supporting Member
Marketplace
I just created a new video about updating firmware on the Nikon Z series cameras and lenses. (I had an older video that covered firmware updates, but Nikon has changed some things, so a new video was in order.)

This covers updating the cameras, what to do in special update situations (I use the current double-update procedure with the new Z9 firmware as an example), and how to update Nikon Z series lens firmware.

It's a step-by-step guide that takes the anxiety out of firmware updates. Check it out :)

Thanks Steve! I think of updates for cameras and computers, but haven't for lenses. I checked and nothing available yet for the 180-600. I also realized recently that I had to update my prograde card reader.

Thanks Steve. My biggest challenge is determining which lens needs a firmware update. The only way I have found is to mount each one and check te FW level

Thanks Steve. My biggest challenge is determining which lens needs a firmware update. The only way I have found is to mount each one and check te FW level
If you go to the Nikon Downloads Center and click the Mirrorless Lenses category, they list all of the lenses there. You can check and see if your lenses are still at 1.0 ( like the 180-600) or not. If they are at 1.0 still, there's no need to put them on the camera to check. Saves a little time at least :)

If you go to the Nikon Downloads Center and click the Mirrorless Lenses category, they list all of the lenses there. You can check and see if your lenses are still at 1.0 ( like the 180-600) or not. If they are at 1.0 still, there's no need to put them on the camera to check. Saves a little time at least :)
True. I have done that. But when I lens's fw is updated, I need to check the lens. I should record when I update the firmware on a lens but everythint I try to get that organized I lose my list.

True. I have done that. But when I lens's fw is updated, I need to check the lens. I should record when I update the firmware on a lens but everythint I try to get that organized I lose my list.
Most of the time FW updates for lenses aren't a big deal anyway. Usually it's because the camera has a new gimmick and the lens needs an update to perform its part of the act.

I just created a new video about updating firmware on the Nikon Z series cameras and lenses. (I had an older video that covered firmware updates, but Nikon has changed some things, so a new video was in order.)

This covers updating the cameras, what to do in special update situations (I use the current double-update procedure with the new Z9 firmware as an example), and how to update Nikon Z series lens firmware.

It's a step-by-step guide that takes the anxiety out of firmware updates. Check it out :)

Great video as usual Steve…. I updated a couple days ago to 5.0 and thought I was all set……..not! The little GNSS box was still at 0.07. Re-updated it and…👍👌0.17!

Thank you very much for this video Steve , you’re how to videos are awesome and are very appreciated. This is the best forum ever !! The knowledge of so many people and their willingness to help is so amazing. Thanks again.

Thank you very much for this video Steve , you’re how to videos are awesome and are very appreciated. This is the best forum ever !! The knowledge of so many people and their willingness to help is so amazing. Thanks again.
Thanks for the kind words :)

Yes, this forum has what I feel are the best collection of knowledgable photographers I've seen anywhere. I learn new stuff almost daily from them!

Thanks for the kind words :)

Yes, this forum has what I feel are the best collection of knowledgable photographers I've seen anywhere. I learn new stuff almost daily from them!
Steve I didn’t watch your video before installing firmware 5.0 on my Z9. As a result, I failed to install the second firmware update. Can I just download the bin file again (I deleted it) and install a second time to complete the second install? Or is it more complicated?

Steve I didn’t watch your video before installing firmware 5.0 on my Z9. As a result, I failed to install the second firmware update. Can I just download the bin file again (I deleted it) and install a second time to complete the second install? Or is it more complicated?
Nope, easy as you say. Just download again and install.

Steve; Thank's for the info on lens firmware updates, which, in my previous view, have been rare. When I checked, I found that 9 of my 16 Z lenses needed one, obviously including several that I use quite a bit. Again, my Thanks!
They don't often need updates, so that's a good thing IMO :) Still, I'm glad we can do 'em.

In reading the Nikon notes on the Z9 Firmware 5.00, I noticed this:

Shooting modes now can be selected in photo and video mode individually.
Note: The shooting modes in all shooting banks “A” through “D” are set to P right after the firmware is updated.

So if I SAVE my settings before the update should / can I reload them after this update (currently on 4.10), or do I have to update the shooting mode in all shooting banks after this update? I'm assuming I should NOT reload the settings from 4.10. And does anyone know of any other nasty changes to settings with this update (not that IPTC stuff).

In reading the Nikon notes on the Z9 Firmware 5.00, I noticed this:

Shooting modes now can be selected in photo and video mode individually.
Note: The shooting modes in all shooting banks “A” through “D” are set to P right after the firmware is updated.

So if I SAVE my settings before the update should / can I reload them after this update (currently on 4.10), or do I have to update the shooting mode in all shooting banks after this update? I'm assuming I should NOT reload the settings from 4.10. And does anyone know of any other nasty changes to settings with this update (not that IPTC stuff).
You should check the shooting mode in your banks after the update. Some have reported that they didn’t change but most have had the change happen. It only takes a few minutes to check and make the changes, if needed. None of my other settings were changed due to the update.

Back