upgrading imac to SSD

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

I have a late 2015 iMac with 27" 5Kretina screen It has 32gb RAM. I was considering upgrading to a SSD(rather than upgrading to new iMac).Will this help improve performance using Lightroom and plug-ins such as denoise?

I have a late 2015 iMac with 27" 5Kretina screen It has 32gb RAM. I was considering upgrading to a SSD(rather than upgrading to new iMac).Will this help improve performance using Lightroom and plug-ins such as denoise?
SSD should help with file opening and save times, not much more. Denoise I believe uses the processor. Still highly recommend upgrading to an SSD, if you are planning on keeping the Mac

As mentioned, won’t improve processing speed but will definitely speed up things in general. I‘m assuming you have a HHD in there now. With a SSD , there will be a dramatic change in boot up times and disk access. Definitely worth it. Don’t go any smaller than
2TB. Are you doing it yourself?
You might want to consider using an external drive as your boot up drive. It’s a much less intrusive way to go. It no easy task to upgrade a an imac if your doing it yourself. If your paying someone to do it, it would most definitely be more cost effective to go with an external drive.

Last edited:
+1 on going with an external SSD. I’ve opened iMacs before and they are a pain, though some easier than others.
I don't know if this is still true, but at one time Best Buy's Geek squad charged the same amount of money to install a new drive into an iMac as they would to drop a new internal drive into a standard Windows desktop. The former is a giant pain, the latter takes about 15 minutes. I cheerfully paid (at the time) $50 to have them install the drive into my iMac.

If this or similar low cost install option is still available, I'd swap the old HDD for an internal SSD. Buy the SSD yourself (or from them, I doubt Best Buy's price would be substantially higher than what you'd get on Amazon or elsewhere). You might. have to do a bit of research to get the very best speed option for the internal drive.

SSDs are much faster; every application startup is quicker since it is off the much lower latency SSD, paging is quicker if you are memory constrained, bootup faster etc etc.

Back