USA or Gray Market?

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

I think I've read most of this thread and always appreciate hearing diverse views. My question is, is there a camera service center who does Nikon repairs as an option to their service? I understand it wouldn't be free but do they exist? (The actual product should be the same initial build whether it's USA or Gray)
Thanks,
Vinny
No, Nikon pulled all there Nikon authorized repair center suspension from all camera repair shops, at least in the USA about 2-3 years ago. They pulled at Nikon calibration equipment and do not sell any of them parts for repair. So in case that a shop will repair Nikon, they are using parts they've had since before this change, or maybe buying used cameras for parts.

The only place to get Nikon repair service is Nikon USA in Melville NY or in LA

Hey Nikon! Increase your market share and make people love your products more! Repair them, no matter where purchased or what country they were originally meant to be in . Support and stand behind your brand and photographers will be loyal instead of skeptical of the brand and afraid to invest in it.

I believe that is how Canon does it. But they have some caveats also when it comes to altered serial numbers.

Last edited:
I think I've read most of this thread and always appreciate hearing diverse views. My question is, is there a camera service center who does Nikon repairs as an option to their service? I understand it wouldn't be free but do they exist? (The actual product should be the same initial build whether it's USA or Gray)
Thanks,
Vinny
https://www.nikoncamerarepair.com/ I used these guys when the helicoid was broken on my Nikon Afs 70-200mm G version and Nikon no longer supported repairs or parts for this lens. Evidently they purchased parts stock when Nikon let go of the independent repair relationship and now only service their own in LA and/ or NY. I was lucky that they (independent shop) had the part for the lens, which was preferable to having it as a paper weight. I’m also lucky that I’m only an hour from the LA Nikon repair center…nothing but a wonderful experience from them. AND no they won’t repair grey market Nikon goods…as they say “from the horses mouth“. Hope that‘s helpfu!

Having reviewed everything here I will summarize my conclusions.

Buying a gray market camera or lens is not without risk. basically the risk is that you will either have to find a non Nikon repair shop or ship it overseas for repair.

It Is relatively easy to identify gray market buying new. But it is much harder buying used. About the only way for sure is to buy private and get proof of us origin.

In buying used it is important to work with a reputable dealer. They should be able to tell you where you can go to get repair and maintenance if you need it. Do your homework before buying. Dealers of used equipment should be able to give answers to these questions.

For me I will not buy gray market new. I will also prefer to buy used equipment privately and verify origin.

I don’t think that information is available. From what I have seen you need proof such as an original sales receipt or the us warranty card. Even b h photo says they can’t verify origin on their used equipment.

I don’t know this for a fact but I suspect Amazon sells refurbished lenses that are actually gray market. They currently have 400mm tc vr lenses for about $2500 below new price. I have thought about getting one but is it a safe choice?
I was confronted with the same problem several years ago. I obtained the lens S/N and called Nikon USA. They were able to confirm that the lens was not gray market.

Interesting, I checked Amazon they also sell renewed /refurbish. Nikon lens, (Z & other mounts) See the attached landing page. This has an option at the bottom to save decent coin and says it has a warranty. Going to that page renewed page, the warranty if from Amazon and is “Eligible for Return, Refund, or Replacement within 90 days of receipt.”

This is the Amazon warranty. “This item can be returned in its original condition for a full refund or replacement within 90 days of receipt.” Also on this page is a note that telling a buyer that import duty into Canada is extra.

This is still a 25% discount off the new price $1,099.00cnd before taxes, which is applicable to either new or used. The idea mentioned above regarding camera insurance doesn't sound like bad advice.

Item: $732.56
Import Fees Deposit*: $87.91
Shipping charges: FREE

Total: $820.47**

* We will collect the Import Fees Deposit at the time of your purchase and manage the customs process from there. Learn more.

** The total may change depending on the chosen shipping option and items in cart during checkout.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-04-20 112110.png
    Screenshot 2024-04-20 112110.png
    738.1 KB · Views: 8
If Nikon won't repair a gray market item and won't provide parts to independent shops, it makes me wonder how much some resellers' warranties are worth. From that it can be inferred that the reseller would either have to replace the gear or send it overseas for repair. An argument could be made that any gear of undetermined origin is only worth purchasing if its price is less than the cost to repair.

I have also read many accounts over the years of people who had a gray market Nikon and couldn't get it repaired in the US regardless of whether or not they were willing to pay for it. I used to shoot Nikon, and it is the primary reason I didn't buy my gear gray market.

If Nikon won't repair a gray market item and won't provide parts to independent shops, it makes me wonder how much some resellers' warranties are worth.
On the first part things are not too bad in the UK with at least 3 Nikon authorised repairers able to get parts, do repairs, and at least one (Fixation) able to do warranty work on Nikon Pro gear.
To get Nikon to pay the cost of warranty work there has to be a Nikon Europe Warranty document supplied with the item (the Europe warranty includes UK) and a valid purchase receipt.

On your second point of resellers (grey importers) warranties I understand this might be done by Nikon repairers Jonsons in Glasgow. Whether they have the equipment to carry out a complex repair on perhaps a Z8 or a Zf is something I do not know.

Fortunately here in OZ we have a couple of long standing Grey Market dealers, delivery and service repairs are fast and first class.

I mean if your on a small island and caught flirting with the chiefs daughter, you better know how to swim as the whole island will know about it very quickly form the drum beat.

Good grey market operators often have a local stock dispatch room and have twice weekly air shuttles to Asia.

They sell any brand cameras hair dryers phones or what ever is popular and can get anything at any price.

I have had 4 or 5 pro grade bodies and lenses that are Grey, even a couple used i bought locally, Nikon has always attended to their service no question a good move from Nikon.

Does this apply to other countries or locations i don't know, that said i have only in the last few years bought local as there is 2 years warranty and prices are on par.

With Mirror less the level of issues to date seem to be greater than DSLRS were,

and incredibly expensive for any major issues out of warranty such as mother board issues, unlike DSLRS.

Identifying used if its grey is simply a question or proof of purchase.

Choosing the right long standing Grey dealer is paramount, the newbies with no local foot print or history are a little riskier.

Only an opinion

Interesting, I checked Amazon they also sell renewed /refurbish. Nikon lens, (Z & other mounts) See the attached landing page. This has an option at the bottom to save decent coin and says it has a warranty. Going to that page renewed page, the warranty if from Amazon and is “Eligible for Return, Refund, or Replacement within 90 days of receipt.”

This is the Amazon warranty. “This item can be returned in its original condition for a full refund or replacement within 90 days of receipt.” Also on this page is a note that telling a buyer that import duty into Canada is extra.

This is still a 25% discount off the new price $1,099.00cnd before taxes, which is applicable to either new or used. The idea mentioned above regarding camera insurance doesn't sound like bad advice.

Item: $732.56
Import Fees Deposit*: $87.91
Shipping charges: FREE

Total: $820.47**

* We will collect the Import Fees Deposit at the time of your purchase and manage the customs process from there. Learn more.

** The total may change depending on the chosen shipping option and items in cart during checkout.
Amazon offers a reconditioned super prime z 400mm f2.8 for about $2500 less than the standard price for a US model, There is one review that states the lens is gray market and “Nikon says it will not service my lens if it ever needs it” . Don’t know if they were actually told that or they are extrapolating from what they have read.

Some used photo dealers add an extended warranty on their stuff but Amazon makes no such offer for this lens.

I was getting interested but not any more. If I am going to pay that much on a lens I am going to want to know I can get it serviced.

Back