USA or Gray Market?

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Gray market lenses are not made by Nikon. All of Nikon's products, cameras or lenses in our case, are original Nikon products to be sold through their distribution chain. And not all Nikon products have the same firmware installed or electric connection--all depends on the area of distribution. Gray market product refers to product meant to be sold through/in the 'local' Nikon Authorized Distribution chain and shipped to another Nikon Distribution area in order to allow customers to buy at a discount compared to their local Authorized Nikon Dealers.
And Nikon does not say that they will not repair a product under warranty or repair for a price. Nikon will advise you to send it to the Nikon Service Center for which that product is 'linked'. i.e. Buy from UK..UK service center/Buy in Delhi--Delhi Service Center. and so on....
We all understand that most people purchase grey market goods to save money instead of purchasing through the approved local distribution.
Nikon is not 'failing' in stating its warranty policies. Nikon provides product in each country in accordance with that country's warranty policies and merchantability of goods sold.
There are differences. Check out Britain.
So, the only issue that is valid, imho, is how sites such as Walmart and Amazon educate their customer regarding what it is that they are buying.
We all need to be accountable to ourselves and not place responsibility where it does not belong.
Why is the product so much less expensive than what all other Nikon USA dealers are selling it for? This is not a look how lucky I am to find such a good price. Ask why is this so.
I suspect it is very few who actually fall into this category without further investigation.
Others, many here, are fans of purchasing grey market product, and they fully understand the pros and cons. They have made a choice.
And others who buy grey because of the price may need to 'pay the price' to ship it to parts unknown for Nikon to service their product. Consequences.
Of course it would be nice if Nikon would service these products 'locally' so one doesn't have to jump through hoops and extra costs.
If they did this then the entire network of Country specific authorized dealers would be turned upside down. There would be no reason to buy locally if you could purchase it better through grey market distribution. Why would I want to be a local dealer and stock and service clients if all they do would be to come in, handle our merchandise, pick our brains, and then buy elsewhere? We are all complaining about the loss of local bricks and mortar camera stores. Imagine if our USA major online/bricks + mortar companies reduced their Nikon presence due to this 'new policy'. And, if one suggests that all products should be priced the same worldwide--then this is not realistic.
The two key service centers in the USA are in LA and Melville, NY. Does anyone think that the cost to maintain their locations and staff are the same throughout the world?
A lot to say here, and most not pointed to Wotan..but venting about 'woe is me' and Nikon's legal responsibilities.
Buy from a local Nikon Authorized Dealer and forget about any of these issues.
(*And yes, Nikon still has (I think) a separate policy that addresses your purchase when abroad, with appropriate documentation, when you return to your home base.)

In your first sentence. "gray market lenses are not made by Nikon". yes they are. not sure if you typo'd or not, so just wanted to correct that.

you can read Nikon's site for themselves. they are genuine Nikon products that were intended for other countries.

a big reason gray market items are cheaper is simply currency arbitrage. the US dollar being stronger than in other areas. same way a Windows 10 key costs something outrageous like $129 USD, but you can buy them from India for $6.99 USD. Or how microtransactions on app stores vary depending on country. Pokemon Go coins that cost $99 USD cost the equivalent of $20 USD if you buy them through Turkish conversion.

The product is all the same. And Nikon gets whatever price they want. They don't care about who sells it for what afterwards, because they have already made their money - at whatever price they picked initially.

The reason they don't provide gray market warranty - is because it makes them profit. Which is the same reason they do gray market repairs.

Gray market lenses are not made by Nikon. All of Nikon's products, cameras or lenses in our case, are original Nikon products to be sold through their distribution chain. And not all Nikon products have the same firmware installed or electric connection--all depends on the area of distribution. Gray market product refers to product meant to be sold through/in the 'local' Nikon Authorized Distribution chain and shipped to another Nikon Distribution area in order to allow customers to buy at a discount compared to their local Authorized Nikon Dealers.
And Nikon does not say that they will not repair a product under warranty or repair for a price. Nikon will advise you to send it to the Nikon Service Center for which that product is 'linked'. i.e. Buy from UK..UK service center/Buy in Delhi--Delhi Service Center. and so on....
We all understand that most people purchase grey market goods to save money instead of purchasing through the approved local distribution.
Nikon is not 'failing' in stating its warranty policies. Nikon provides product in each country in accordance with that country's warranty policies and merchantability of goods sold.
So, the only issue that is valid, imho, is how sites such as Walmart and Amazon educate their customer regarding what it is that they are buying.
We all need to be accountable to ourselves and not place responsibility where it does not belong.
Why is the product so much less expensive than what all other Nikon USA dealers are selling it for? This is not a look how lucky I am to find such a good price. Ask why is this so.
I suspect it is very few who actually fall into this category without further investigation.
Others, many here, are fans of purchasing grey market product, and they fully understand the pros and cons. They have made a choice.
And others who buy grey because of the price may need to 'pay the price' to ship it to parts unknown for Nikon to service their product. Consequences.
Of course it would be nice if Nikon would service these products 'locally' so one doesn't have to jump through hoops and extra costs.
If they did this then the entire network of Country specific authorized dealers would be turned upside down. There would be no reason to buy locally if you could purchase it better through grey market distribution. Why would I want to be a local dealer and stock and service clients if all they do would be to come in, handle our merchandise, pick our brains, and then buy elsewhere? We are all complaining about the loss of local bricks and mortar camera stores. Imagine if our USA major online/bricks + mortar companies reduced their Nikon presence due to this 'new policy'. And, if one suggests that all products should be priced the same worldwide--then this is not realistic.
The two key service centers in the USA are in LA and Melville, NY. Does anyone think that the cost to maintain their locations and staff are the same throughout the world?
A lot to say here, and most not pointed to Wotan..but venting about 'woe is me' and Nikon's legal responsibilities.
(*And yes, Nikon still has (I think) a separate policy that addresses your purchase when abroad, with appropriate documentation, when you return to your home base.)
The issue for me is not with buying a new lens or camera and it is not concerning a warranty. I would not buy a new Nikon lens or camera from a gray market source.

the issue to me is how can I buy something used if I am unable to tell if it is gray market or not. I don’t expect and am not looking for Nikon warranty just the ability to pay and get it fixed if I break it.

We all have an interest in a stable and sane used equipment market. All of us sell some of our gear from time to time. We want to be able to trade stuff in and get a decent price. The stores also need to be able to assure its customers that if they buy something used it can get serviced.

there should be a way to find out if used gear is gray market before buying. At this point the only way to tell is to buy from a private seller who can prove origin.

i can take care of myself i just think this is a crazy system.

LoL what? Grey market camera and lenses are NOT made by 3rd party or are knockoff gear.

They are just Nikon made gear meant for a different market. So they make a batch for Japan and the UK and so on. But if some retailer had those imported to say the USA, a country they were not made for, that a grey market item, also called an imported item.

The issue for me is not with buying a new lens or camera and it is not concerning a warranty. I would not buy a new Nikon lens or camera from a gray market source.

the issue to me is how can I buy something used if I am unable to tell if it is gray market or not. I don’t expect and am not looking for Nikon warranty just the ability to pay and get it fixed if I break it.

We all have an interest in a stable and sane used equipment market. All of us sell some of our gear from time to time. We want to be able to trade stuff in and get a decent price. The stores also need to be able to assure its customers that if they buy something used it can get serviced.

there should be a way to find out if used gear is gray market before buying. At this point the only way to tell is to buy from a private seller who can prove origin.

Origin doesn't matter as you can but from places like B&H that sell both USA and grey market gear.

The serial can be helpful the first number is a country identifier like 3 is for the USA, 2 is due Japan. But if they made enough to go beyond a certain binder, they have been known to use 2 for the USA

But a fake serial number in a sticker is easily forged. I guess this is the reason Nikon service can't confirm USA or grey market over the phone. They open then up and something on the inside of the item let's then confirm so they ten you they need to see it first

Origin doesn't matter as you can but from places like B&H that sell both USA and grey market gear.

The serial can be helpful the first number is a country identifier like 3 is for the USA, 2 is due Japan. But if they made enough to go beyond a certain binder, they have been known to use 2 for the USA

But a fake serial number in a sticker is easily forged. I guess this is the reason Nikon service can't confirm USA or grey market over the phone. They open then up and something on the inside of the item let's then confirm so they ten you they need to see it first.

From what I've read the idea of first number being for a certain country has not been applicable/reliable for some time.

I encountered a case where Nikon USA service would not repair a Non-US lens.

I purchased a Nikon lens from a US-based large reseller of used equipment. Note that the seller made no claim about the source of the lens and I didn’t think to ask.

After 7 months or so I noticed the zoom ring getting tight and noticed a reduction in sharpness of the photos at the maximum zoom range.

I decided to see if Nikon Service could remedy the issues. I registered the lens with Nikon USA. I then opened a service request with Nikon USA. When they accepted the service request and sent the instructions to send the lens to the Signal Hill location I assumed the serial number checked out as a US model.

Subsequently I received an estimate from Nikon indicating “No Repair” and indicating “NON US NEED POP”. I called Nikon and was told that the lens was a non-US version and they would not repair. Nikon then promptly returned the lens to me (at no charge).

I’ve attached a copy of the Estimate from Nikon USA.

Attachments

• Repair Estimate Acknowledgement 08-21-23.jpg
    Repair Estimate Acknowledgement 08-21-23.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 41
I too have a hard example of Nikon refusing to service a grey market item. See contemporaneous thread from Feb ‘23 below (Post 57 specifically).
Summary: I bought a 70-200 f2.8 that refused to play nice with my D500, where all other lenses worked great with it. After some back and forth, I sent the D500 in and they replied “it’s grey market we won’t work on it”. I was a little miffed, but by that time decided to move on to mirrorless, so I just moved on.

You'd think that proof would be SO EASY to find if it were true. And yet we've not seen any proof posted.
Right from their website: https://www.nikonproductsupport.com/s/article/What-is-Gray-Market?language=en_US

They specifically say they will not repair Grey Market products.

Here's an excerpt. You can look up the whole article yourself.

What does owning a "Gray Market" Nikon product mean to you?

Nikon Inc. USA cannot provide any technical support or warranty service on Gray Market items. Additionally Nikon Inc. USA cannot perform any fee-based repair work on Gray Market items. Please do not contact Nikon Inc. USA for help with any Gray Market products. Please contact the reseller or importer of your Gray Market items for warranty and service information as well as software updates and downloads.

Does anyone know how to tell whether or not a Nikon camera is a USA model or gray market based on the serial number. Is there a website that shows the serial number range for various Nikon USA models.
Thanks Al
Al, just go to Nikon USA website. Open an account. Insert your serial number. If it doesn't tell you right away, ask them.

Right from their website: https://www.nikonproductsupport.com/s/article/What-is-Gray-Market?language=en_US

Nikon Inc. USA cannot provide any technical support or warranty service on Gray Market items. Additionally Nikon Inc. USA cannot perform any fee-based repair work on Gray Market items. Please do not contact Nikon Inc. USA for help with any Gray Market products. Please contact the reseller or importer of your Gray Market items for warranty and service information as well as software updates and downloads.
Thank you. Given all I've read in this thread, I won't take the risk of buying Gray market. But a primary reason is also that I want to support my local camera stores that are authorized Nikon dealers. They are family owned businesses that I rely on.

Interesting that they have that verbiage on an obscure back page, and not on their main page. And that you're the first person I've ever sent post this page.

That particular page was also last updated 04/19/23, so it's plausible it hasn't been changed to reflect the new policy/wording. While the other page that's been linked was updated 02/05/24.

Last edited:
Interesting that they have that verbiage on an obscure back page, and not on their main page. And that you're the first person I've ever sent post this page.

That particular page was also last updated 04/19/23, so it's plausible it hasn't been changed to reflect the new policy/wording. While the other page that's been linked was updated 02/05/24.
Only needs to be updated when there's a change. I remember reading that in the past, not forgot completely about it, only remembering it once i read it today.

But you still refuse to accept the reality. You're car is true, and no reason to doubt you, is the likely scenario i paid out in the very beginning. You got a tech that didn't perform the requisite check prior to doing the repair or when entering it on the system.

Only needs to be updated when there's a change. I remember reading that in the past, not forgot completely about it, only remembering it once i read it today.

But you still refuse to accept the reality. You're car is true, and no reason to doubt you, is the likely scenario i paid out in the very beginning. You got a tech that didn't perform the requisite check prior to doing the repair or when entering it on the system.

It may be as simple as this sort of thing:

During the late 2010s I was employed as the director of the CCD programs at a few churches and while it was for the most part not the sort of work that led to a lot of unhappy "customers," you did have a policy here or there which were not the sorts of things that came up frequently but could cause some aggravation when it did - mostly stuff about what would happen if people missed too many meetings or how to handle situations where kids were in key years but they'd skipped all the in between years, etc. Then there were things which people could technically do but which we'd rather they didn't because it tended to cause problems.

The way we handled most of these things was to be as quiet as possible about them. We tried to avoid making any of this stuff especially prominent in any of the materials or paperwork we put out there. If someone asked about it, we'd tell them the way it was, but we really only got into any of this if someone did ask or if it specifically came up somehow. This allowed everything to run smoothly with 99% of people not having any issues and the 1% who did we would try to figure out when it came up.

Without getting more specific information about anything, it seems equally likely that Nikon is doing something like this as it does that they've actually changed their policy.

After my experience with Nikon support with my non-US lens I looked at their web site to see what they said. I don’t have any screenshots from that time but I went back to that site today to read the current information. It is pretty clear.

If you go to https://www.nikonusa.com/

Search for gray market
Select grey-market – you will see the Gray Market Warning which addresses warranty support
Select FAQ (near the top)
Select Gray Market Products

There it says:

“What are Gray Market products?

Nikon products that are imported and sold by anyone other than Nikon Inc. USA are considered Gray Market products. These often are genuine Nikon products that were intended for other countries; therefore, they may not meet Nikon’s specifications for US products or perform as expected, and they are not covered by a Nikon USA warranty or eligible for Nikon USA repair service. Learn more about Gray Market products.”

All that said, I suspect like any other business the Nikon team has some discretion to accept or reject repair requests for non-US equipment based on the equipment type, the customer, etc. As I indicated earlier, in my case they politely said no and promptly returned my lens.

I'm a new member and have learned a lot from Steve and all the individuals that post photos and other information on this forum. Thanks to all of you for sharing your photos and your expertise.

On the main Gray Market Warning page, I see this text which differs from the FAQ text with the highlighted word: warranty:

No Nikon Warranty​
Gray Market products may contain a limited warranty from the seller, but they are not covered by a Nikon USA warranty and are not eligible for Nikon USA warranty repair service.​

A nuanced difference, to be sure, but my sense is that this key word was unintentionally omitted in the FAQ text.

I would agree with the suggestion that they will repair gray market products at their discretion, but it’s unlikely that the criteria is simply ‘gray market’ and has more to do with available resources: people, time, parts, etc.

I guess it's right there plain as day, as noted by droad and mmoretti, if you read the FAQ:

Last edited:
On the main Gray Market Warning page, I see this text which differs from the FAQ text with the highlighted word: warranty:

No Nikon Warranty​
Gray Market products may contain a limited warranty from the seller, but they are not covered by a Nikon USA warranty and are not eligible for Nikon USA warranty repair service.​

A nuanced difference, to be sure, but my sense is that this key word was unintentionally omitted in the FAQ text.

I would agree with the suggestion that they will repair gray market products at their discretion, but it’s unlikely that the criteria is simply ‘gray market’ and has more to do with available resources: people, time, parts, etc.
Doubtful as I have only ever seen nmerc show any apparent proof of a grey market items being repaired at Nikon USA and I've seen and heard of dozens being refused any option for repair.

I still find it infinitely more plausible that a tech just didn't do his due diligence and just processed his gear without checking if it was a USA item or not.

I think it would open up all kinds of legal cans of worms if Nikon was selectively or arbitrarily repairing some grey market items and not others and if that was the case, we'd have heard many more people saying they had a grey market item repaired at Nikon USA

In my (and only my) experience, I haven't seen grey market savings that would tempt me to take the risk. The exception is if the item is inexpensive enough that I could regard it as a "throwaway" if things went south. Otherwise, if I need a significant savings, then maybe I should postpone such a purchase.

I think I've read most of this thread and always appreciate hearing diverse views. My question is, is there a camera service center who does Nikon repairs as an option to their service? I understand it wouldn't be free but do they exist? (The actual product should be the same initial build whether it's USA or Gray)
Thanks,
Vinny

Retailers can if they so choose obtain the warranty from the owner from new - presuming a first trade on a previously new item and the original owner kept the documents.

Back