Used Nikon D6 Purchase Issue

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

ecycled

Supporting Member
Marketplace
Hello.

Fairly new to forum but have found a great deal of good info here. Thanks to all.

My issue concerns a purchase I made last August from KEH on a “LN-“ rated D6 body. Have used it without issue since so in regards to camera performing well, could not be more happy. Camera came to me in excellent condition, very low shutter actuations (less than 100), and with original firmware on camera (which I’ve updated to current). Again, all good.

At that time and honestly not until recently did I give any thought to this possibly being a “grey market” item. My interest in pursuing if it was indeed not originally intended to be sold in the US was a website (www.photosynthesis.co.nz/) that listed intended country of sale based on serial number. First alarm goes off. My D6 has a serial number of “8001xxx” which isn’t even listed under D6 bodies.

This led to my discovery that Nikon USA will not repair a grey market item stating that items that fall into this category are not “[…] eligible for Nikon USA repair service.“ Second alarm Goes off.

So plan is to first send this to Nikon USA service and have them determine if it is grey market. Had emailed them and this was their recommendation. Anyone want to chime in on where “8000” series serial numbers may be from, for the D6?

Once I determine if it is or is not a grey market item I must decide what to do next. Do I press KEH on this? My concern is I have an extended warranty for two years on purchase BUT what if after this period expires my camera (which again is in excellent condition) needs something that Nikon USA must do the work? I’m out of luck with a very pricy paperweight.

I would not have purchased if I had known that Nikon USA has this policy. Nothing is stated on KEH website regarding any risk of not having access to service after warranty expires. Thoughts? Clarity from the perspective of the seller seems warranted on Nikon items, certainly something that is like new and even used, a significant investment. On KEH, have had great luck with them on other purchases.

Thanks!
Edward C.

IMG_7006.png

Last edited:
Thoughts?
Nikon serial numbers can be confusing but generally speaking an 8000 series number indicates a camera intended for the UK market. That said, there are some exceptions to the normal 3xxxx numbering for the US market but I'm pretty sure the D6 stuck with that traditional serial numbering scheme. Nikon USA will be able to tell you by sending it in as you posted but I suspect your camera is gray market into the US.

Historically Nikon USA has refused to work on gear that wasn't sold through Nikon channels into the US market and I expect that would apply to your D6 as well. It's been a long time since I owned a gray market Nikon camera body or lens but when I did I was able to get service from third party camera repair houses.

You'd probably have to go back to the original KEH ad for your camera to see how it was listed and whether they stated or implied the camera was a Nikon USA model but I suspect it falls into caveat emptor.

Here's a link to some of the commonly used country codes for Nikon cameras: https://www.dslrbodies.com/cameras/camera-articles/nikon-dslr-notes/nikon-camera-serial-numbers.html

The good news if you don't damage your camera it's likely to run just fine for many years without having to send it in for any repairs.

Ed, I am sorry to hear about the purchase. Having said this, up till 5 years ago, Nikon was fairly relax when it comes to repair grey market gears; IIRC beginning in 2018, Nikon tightned the repair policy ( I knew this because a D750 was dropped & refused service).

In March 2020, Nikon closed all but two authorized service in whole of USA; Nikon stopped selling parts to them.

Last time I heard you can still get parts directly from Japan or Taiwan if Nikon USA refuses to repair the camera.

Back to the D6, short of water damage, it has a shutter life of 500K, it will work fine for another 10 or 8 years perhaps.

Oliver

Nikon serial numbers can be confusing but generally speaking an 8000 series number indicates a camera intended for the UK market. That said, there are some exceptions to the normal 3xxxx numbering for the US market but I'm pretty sure the D6 stuck with that traditional serial numbering scheme. Nikon USA will be able to tell you by sending it in as you posted but I suspect your camera is gray market into the US.

Historically Nikon USA has refused to work on gear that wasn't sold through Nikon channels into the US market and I expect that would apply to your D6 as well. It's been a long time since I owned a gray market Nikon camera body or lens but when I did I was able to get service from third party camera repair houses.

You'd probably have to go back to the original KEH ad for your camera to see how it was listed and whether they stated or implied the camera was a Nikon USA model but I suspect it falls into caveat emptor.

Here's a link to some of the commonly used country codes for Nikon cameras: https://www.dslrbodies.com/cameras/camera-articles/nikon-dslr-notes/nikon-camera-serial-numbers.html

The good news if you don't damage your camera it's likely to run just fine for many years without having to send it in for any repairs.

Thanks for the reply DRwyoming.

Ed, I am sorry to hear about the purchase. Having said this, up till 5 years ago, Nikon was fairly relax when it comes to repair grey market gears; IIRC beginning in 2018, Nikon tightned the repair policy ( I knew this because a D750 was dropped & refused service).

In March 2020, Nikon closed all but two authorized service in whole of USA; Nikon stopped selling parts to them.

Last time I heard you can still get parts directly from Japan or Taiwan if Nikon USA refuses to repair the camera.

Back to the D6, short of water damage, it has a shutter life of 500K, it will work fine for another 10 or 8 years perhaps.

Oliver

Thank you Oliver. Yes knowing how well this camera is built gives me some sense of relief that it will serve me well for years to come.

Welcome. Just to chip in to above. You own what is arguably Nikon's best DSLR ever, as judged on its advanced autofocus with AI, lowlight image quality, and above all weather sealing/armoured design.

The shutters in these flagship DSLRs are designed for endurance.

The shutter is indeed the finite part(s) of a DSLR, but spares should be around for years ahead. I expect my D6 might well outlive me. I've read of a D3 still running with a very high shutter count approaching 1 million. Searching online reveals many similar cases

Last edited:
I would ask Nikon USA to reply in writing, whatever they decide. If in your favor, it might be needed if they change positions in the future, if not, it would be valuable in negotiations with KEH. One possibility is that the previous owner bought the camera thru legitimate channels in the UK and moved to the USA where they sold it to KEH. In that event, it would not be considered gray market. Ultimately, Nikon USA will decide how they want to handle it. If they say they won't work on it, I'd be looking to KEH to make it right. I'm also curious how the KEH "warranty" would be fulfilled. To my knowledge, Nikon USA is the only repair center for the D6 in the USA. If they won't work on it, would KEH send it to Canada or Japan?

That’s not good, so I hope it’s a simple resolution. I’m not familiar with US grey market practices, but in the UK the “main” importers such as Panamoz work had to maintain their credibility and generally offer their own 3 year (yes three years!) warranty.
Also, I think in the UK if w unknowingly bought a grey market import, then we’d be protected by consumer law. Perhaps you have that in the US? It’s not a case of buyer beware when a seller knowingly sells grey market goods.

I'd just return it to KEH for another body. It's not worth the potential headaches if you need service on a gray market body.

It is possible to get some services handled. Camera Service Company in Atlanta has been able to get parts from Nikon. But not all parts are available. The reality is you will probably be fine with a gray market camera body as mature as the D6 is. It's a great camera and I expect you can use it then sell it without issue.

Hey just a quick blanket post to say thanks to all who’ve offered some great insight and recommendations.

IMO next best step is to have Nikon USA confirm it is/is not grey market. Once I know that I’ll weigh some of the options mentioned above.

Again, big thanks to all.

Like Eric, I would return it. I ran into the same problem with a Z6 a few years ago. Had it for about a month before I realized it wasn't US. KEH was good about returning it for a US one. After that, I always ask for the serial number on used items.

Thanks Eric.

Did you have to have Nikon confirm grey market status by sending them your Z6 before KEH would take back? Just curious because my plan, after an email to/from Nikon USA, stated that I should send my D6 in so they could confirm status. I'm suspecting that it is (likely a UK "intended for sale" model given serial number 8001xxx yet I'm only speculating based on my own research and feedback here). A timely extra step but may be valuable down the road with KEH (who I've had very good service from on other purchases).

The other concern is my purchase was August of 2022 so I'm now nearly seven months out. KEH may push back with that time frame yet honestly wasn't aware of this until just recently. Maybe a call would be prudent.

S
Thanks Eric.

Did you have to have Nikon confirm grey market status by sending them your Z6 before KEH would take back? Just curious because my plan, after an email to/from Nikon USA, stated that I should send my D6 in so they could confirm status. I'm suspecting that it is (likely a UK "intended for sale" model given serial number 8001xxx yet I'm only speculating based on my own research and feedback here). A timely extra step but may be valuable down the road with KEH (who I've had very good service from on other purchases).

The other concern is my purchase was August of 2022 so I'm now nearly seven months out. KEH may push back with that time frame yet honestly wasn't aware of this until just recently. Maybe a call would be prudent.
Yeah, I'd call KEH and see what they say. I think they are aware of serial numbers and the regions they belong to. I just use the website you linked to to get US serial numbers.

Alan

You should be able to get it repaired from an independent repair shop. I have a great local shop I use, so if it was me I probably wouldn't be concerned about it. (If I bought a camera brand new I would not want gray market, but used maybe not so much of an issue, since repairs will likely not be under warranty?).

The serial number is probably UK - though generally UK body numbers changed to a 6 series when Nikon centralised EU including UK imports to Belgium.
My 4.5 year old Z6 has an EU 6 (six) series serial number.
At http://www.photosynthesis.co.nz/nikon/camera.html there are no D6 bodies recorded with an 8 series serial number.
If it is a UK original import Nikon UK should be able to service it - though this involves overseas shipping and possible customs challenges.
You could ask Nikon UK if they can service it.
The serial number indicates an early production model - I am not sure when the D6 was launched but maybe yours is already around 6 years old and could be 8 years old when the warranty you bought expires.

Last edited:
D6 was first launched in the late spring of 2020. I got mine in the first batch as the pandemic had dropped demand from pros. If you think an independant repair facility will repair a D6, you should call first. I was told by APS that Nikon won't provide the tech support necessary for the D5, D6, D850; they have to go to Nikon.

Welcome. Just to chip in to above. You own what is arguably Nikon's best DSLR ever, as judged on its advanced autofocus with AI, lowlight image quality, and above all weather sealing/armoured design.

The shutters in these flagship DSLRs are designed for endurance.

The shutter is indeed the finite part(s) of a DSLR, but spares should be around for years ahead. I expect my D6 might well outlive me. I've read of a D3 still running with a very high shutter count approaching 1 million. Searching online reveals many similar cases

I agree with you except on your ai statement. A camera processing a low light photo with firmware is not AI. AI is the ability to learn and advance software capabilities use prior inputs and improving said software. There are no cameras at time using AI.

I agree with you except on your ai statement. A camera processing a low light photo with firmware is not AI. AI is the ability to learn and advance software capabilities use prior inputs and improving said software. There are no cameras at time using AI.
I wrote "....its advanced autofocus with AI..." as a related couplet, with lowlight image IQ as additional important features of the D6.

Strictly speaking, to stick to more pedantic terminology, which i refrained from going into.... Nikon uses deep-learning (aka machine learning) algorithm(s) as a key part of the integral software in the D6 AF for pattern recognition (including eye and face recognition). As we know, the software in the Z9 is more advanced. Deep-Learning has developed as a standard application of Artificial Intelligence in many devices.

The software for the D6 and Z9 is trained to an acceptable level of performance, before being finalized prior to being locked into the firmware. The firmware does no learning in its own right. Nikon has said little about its leverage of AI applications in the D6, but much more in marketing the Z9. Canon has similar technology in their 1D X Mark III

Thom Hogan wrote an interesting essay about the deep-learning and AF performance of the Z9

Hello.

Fairly new to forum but have found a great deal of good info here. Thanks to all.

My issue concerns a purchase I made last August from KEH on a “LN-“ rated D6 body. Have used it without issue since so in regards to camera performing well, could not be more happy. Camera came to me in excellent condition, very low shutter actuations (less than 100), and with original firmware on camera (which I’ve updated to current). Again, all good.

At that time and honestly not until recently did I give any thought to this possibly being a “grey market” item. My interest in pursuing if it was indeed not originally intended to be sold in the US was a website (www.photosynthesis.co.nz/) that listed intended country of sale based on serial number. First alarm goes off. My D6 has a serial number of “8001xxx” which isn’t even listed under D6 bodies.

This led to my discovery that Nikon USA will not repair a grey market item stating that items that fall into this category are not “[…] eligible for Nikon USA repair service.“ Second alarm Goes off.

So plan is to first send this to Nikon USA service and have them determine if it is grey market. Had emailed them and this was their recommendation. Anyone want to chime in on where “8000” series serial numbers may be from, for the D6?

Once I determine if it is or is not a grey market item I must decide what to do next. Do I press KEH on this? My concern is I have an extended warranty for two years on purchase BUT what if after this period expires my camera (which again is in excellent condition) needs something that Nikon USA must do the work? I’m out of luck with a very pricy paperweight.

I would not have purchased if I had known that Nikon USA has this policy. Nothing is stated on KEH website regarding any risk of not having access to service after warranty expires. Thoughts? Clarity from the perspective of the seller seems warranted on Nikon items, certainly something that is like new and even used, a significant investment. On KEH, have had great luck with them on other purchases.

Thanks!
Edward C.

View attachment 58291
I dont know about America but here in Australia Nikon has serviced most of my old cameras and lenses, some up to 60 years old.
Firmware updates are probably the only thing that stops when a camera starts to age.
Recently NPS sent me a PDF copy of a manual for a piece of Nikon gear thats from the early 1970s ... 🦘

So an update to my D6 dilemma. Have emailed customer service at KEH in detail and they’ve basically said, in a roundabout way, you’re stuck with the camera.

I also did get confirmation from Nikon UK/Europe that the serial number belongs to D6 bodies intended for Asian market.

So now I face the chance that after my extended warranty expires in Aug 2024 (two years Extend) that IF service was required I may find myself with a very nice paperweight. And sure, maybe not but my investment was significant.

My issue that was raised in my communications with KEH was that the policy with Nikon USA should be disclosed to a potential buyer. Grey market isn’t a bad thing. But an investment of $5,000 on a “Like New” high end Nikon camera needs to have that information available IMO.

Back