Used Nikon D6 Purchase Issue

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Just try to get someone (maybe a member overhere?) to write/get you a nice bill, proving you bought the D6 while being abroad.
Doing so will make you eligable for worldwide guarantee.

I would make an appeal directly to the manager of KEH. Make a big fuss. Their reputation is on the line and you are telling a lot of people about this problem. This could be pretty bad PR for KEH in terms of public relations.

That is my next step. I definitely want to push back a bit, in a respectful yet firm way.

The response I received seemed canned and only vaguely addressed my situation. The representative even stated that if I wasn’t happy with the purchase that I could return it within 21 days! This is after stating very clearly in my correspondence both the KEH order number and date of purchase. At this time I’m 7 months into my purchase.

In all honesty I’d love to see them step forward in this matter and first address my specific concern and secondly admit that a much better policy, regardless of an item being used, would be a simple disclosure statement to make those, like myself, fully aware that the equipment being sold may or may not be grey market. And in the case of Nikon, will not be serviceable by Nikon USA if it should ever be needed.

As simple as that. Be upfront and transparent about the transaction, for their own reputation as well as the consumer’s satisfaction.

Last edited:
So an update to my D6 dilemma. Have emailed customer service at KEH in detail and they’ve basically said, in a roundabout way, you’re stuck with the camera.

I also did get confirmation from Nikon UK/Europe that the serial number belongs to D6 bodies intended for Asian market.

So now I face the chance that after my extended warranty expires in Aug 2024 (two years Extend) that IF service was required I may find myself with a very nice paperweight. And sure, maybe not but my investment was significant.

My issue that was raised in my communications with KEH was that the policy with Nikon USA should be disclosed to a potential buyer. Grey market isn’t a bad thing. But an investment of $5,000 on a “Like New” high end Nikon camera needs to have that information available IMO.
Why would you buy a used D6 when for $500 USD more you could have had a new Z9?

Here's a link to some of the commonly used country codes for Nikon cameras: https://www.dslrbodies.com/cameras/camera-articles/nikon-dslr-notes/nikon-camera-serial-numbers.html
Hmm, I would treat those numbers with a fairly hefty pinch of salt. Of the 15 Nikon DSLR's that I have owned (or currently) own only one has/had a serial number starting with an 8 (for the UK) and to the best of my knowledge only my current D780 is grey market. Of the other 14 bodies, three were supplied direct from Nikon UK (i.e. not through a retailer) and they all started with a 6. The remainder were purchased through the retail route from respectable companies and are a mix on 4, 6 & 7.

I just checked my serial numbers (Australia)
I have
4 starting with 8
2 starting with 7
1 starting with 6
2 starting with 5
and 3 starting with 2
I hope it helps ... 🦘

I just checked my serial numbers (Australia)
I have
4 starting with 8
2 starting with 7
1 starting with 6
2 starting with 5
and 3 starting with 2
I hope it helps ... 🦘
One challenge is when Nikon change the serial number series over time.

http://www.photosynthesis.co.nz/nikon/serialno.html#xx-70 shows the 24-120 AF-S variable aperture version as a "2" series when launched, changing to a 4 series in 2006 and then 5 (when production was moved to Thailand) in 2008.

Over 225,000 are recorded up to 2010 in an about 7.5 year production run, with another 720,000 in 12.5 years for the later constant f4 aperture version.

There seems less volatility for body start numbers, though it is widely reported Nikon skipped about 10,000 in the Z9 sequence before what is called on the site "batch 2".

My speculation is Nikon treat "factories" as profit centres including warranty claims - leading to 5 for the 24-120 Thailand production - and possibly some unknown internal part change during Z9 production.

Hello.

Fairly new to forum but have found a great deal of good info here. Thanks to all.

My issue concerns a purchase I made last August from KEH on a “LN-“ rated D6 body. Have used it without issue since so in regards to camera performing well, could not be more happy. Camera came to me in excellent condition, very low shutter actuations (less than 100), and with original firmware on camera (which I’ve updated to current). Again, all good.

At that time and honestly not until recently did I give any thought to this possibly being a “grey market” item. My interest in pursuing if it was indeed not originally intended to be sold in the US was a website (www.photosynthesis.co.nz/) that listed intended country of sale based on serial number. First alarm goes off. My D6 has a serial number of “8001xxx” which isn’t even listed under D6 bodies.

This led to my discovery that Nikon USA will not repair a grey market item stating that items that fall into this category are not “[…] eligible for Nikon USA repair service.“ Second alarm Goes off.

So plan is to first send this to Nikon USA service and have them determine if it is grey market. Had emailed them and this was their recommendation. Anyone want to chime in on where “8000” series serial numbers may be from, for the D6?

Once I determine if it is or is not a grey market item I must decide what to do next. Do I press KEH on this? My concern is I have an extended warranty for two years on purchase BUT what if after this period expires my camera (which again is in excellent condition) needs something that Nikon USA must do the work? I’m out of luck with a very pricy paperweight.

I would not have purchased if I had known that Nikon USA has this policy. Nothing is stated on KEH website regarding any risk of not having access to service after warranty expires. Thoughts? Clarity from the perspective of the seller seems warranted on Nikon items, certainly something that is like new and even used, a significant investment. On KEH, have had great luck with them on other purchases.

Thanks!
Edward C.

View attachment 58291
Similarly, I naively bought a gray market lens from KEH about ten years ago. I didn’t know it until several years later when I went to sell it. A buyer asked me if it was a Nikon USA model. I realized I didn’t know. I contacted KEH, and they said they didn’t know, and that they don’t make that distinction in buying and selling.

I then called Nikon hoping they could just tell me the USA status over the phone based on the serial number. The rep said they could not and told me I’d need to send it to them so that they could make a formal determination. After inspecting it, they said it was gray market. To avoid further hassle, I ended up just selling it back to KEH at their going rate. As an FYI, I did speak to another Nikon rep later, and he said he’d have told me if it was gray market. But it’s Nikon’s formal policy not to make that call without inspecting the gear.

From the experience, I learned that KEH does not distinguish USA vs gray market bodies and lenses. And they won’t provide serial numbers in advance. As a practical matter, to try and distinguish between gray and USA gear, KEH would likely have to price them differently. And if they made mistakes, then they’d be on the hook to address them. I suspect they determined early on that it was not in their interest to distinguish USA/gray status. So, if one does buy from them and wants assurance that they’re getting a USA product, they’d need to buy the gear, then take whatever steps are needed to make the USA/gray market determination within the return period.

I did later buy a Nikon 500E in Ex condition from KEH during a 20% off sale. I then contacted Nikon, hoping I’d get a rep that might reveal the len’s USA status without the time and expense of shipping the crated lens to Nikon, which would have cost $200-300. The rep never gave me the actual status, but gave me enough clues, like telling me it had been in for previous service, that I felt comfortable keeping it.

As an FYI, MPB provides detailed photos of the actual bodies they sell, and the serial numbers can typically be read from the photos. MPB also provides shutter counts. So between the photos, serial numbers and shutter counts, they provide substantially more information than KEH. On the other hand, KEH seems to have smoother, more predictable buy/sell/return processes. Not recommending one company over another. Just mentioning some observed differences.

Good luck in your dealings with KEH.

Last edited:
So an update to my D6 dilemma. Have emailed customer service at KEH in detail and they’ve basically said, in a roundabout way, you’re stuck with the camera.

I also did get confirmation from Nikon UK/Europe that the serial number belongs to D6 bodies intended for Asian market.

So now I face the chance that after my extended warranty expires in Aug 2024 (two years Extend) that IF service was required I may find myself with a very nice paperweight. And sure, maybe not but my investment was significant.

My issue that was raised in my communications with KEH was that the policy with Nikon USA should be disclosed to a potential buyer. Grey market isn’t a bad thing. But an investment of $5,000 on a “Like New” high end Nikon camera needs to have that information available IMO.
It's certainly worth bringing to KEH's attention. I agree that they should have a general disclaimer stating something to the effect that KEH makes no claims as to the serviceability of the Nikon products they sell by Nikon USA.

Regarding your specific situation, you might find comfort in calling a couple independent camera repair businesses mentioned above to determine whether they would likely be able to service your D6 down the road. I would think that the main issue would be getting parts. But otherwise, as a silver lining, they might be able to provide service at a lower cost than Nikon would have.

Last edited:
Similarly, I naively bought a gray market lens from KEH about ten years ago. I didn’t know it until several years later when I went to sell it. A buyer asked me if it was a Nikon USA model. I realized I didn’t know. I contacted KEH, and they said they didn’t know, and that they don’t make that distinction in buying and selling.

I then called Nikon hoping they could just tell me the USA status over the phone based on the serial number. The rep said they could not and told me I’d need to send it to them so that they could make a formal determination. After inspecting it, they said it was gray market. To avoid further hassle, I ended up just selling it back to KEH at their going rate. As an FYI, I did speak to another Nikon rep later, and he said he’d have told me if it was gray market. But it’s Nikon’s formal policy not to make that call without inspecting the gear.

From the experience, I learned that KEH does not distinguish USA vs gray market bodies and lenses. And they won’t provide serial numbers in advance. As a practical matter, to try and distinguish between gray and USA gear, KEH would likely have to price them differently. And if they made mistakes, then they’d be on the hook to address them. I suspect they determined early on that it was not in their interest to distinguish USA/gray status. So, if one does buy from them and wants assurance that they’re getting a USA product, they’d need to buy the gear, then take whatever steps are needed to make the USA/gray market determination within the return period.

I did later buy a Nikon 500E in Ex condition from KEH during a 20% off sale. I then contacted Nikon, hoping I’d get a rep that might reveal the len’s USA status without the time and expense of shipping the crated lens to Nikon, which would have cost $200-300. The rep never gave me the actual status, but gave me enough clues, like telling me it had been in for previous service, that I felt comfortable keeping it.

As an FYI, MPB provides detailed photos of the actual bodies they sell, and the serial numbers can typically be read from the photos. MPB also provides shutter counts. So between the photos, serial numbers and shutter counts, they provide substantially more information than KEH. On the other hand, KEH seems to have smoother, more predictable buy/sell/return processes. Not recommending one company over another. Just mentioning some observed differences.

Good luck in your dealings with KEH.
Just to show how hard it is to pick Gray market.
Of all my dozen or so non Gray market bodies bought in Australia only one starts with a 6 ... 🦘

Back