Using 500 PF lens and adapter with a Z 1.4 extender on a Z8

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

To be clear, I want to get the Z 1.4 extender for use when I get some Z lenses for my Z8 but in the meantime can I put the Z extender on the Z8 now and then mount the F adapter and 500 PF?

To be clear, I want to get the Z 1.4 extender for use when I get some Z lenses for my Z8 but in the meantime can I put the Z extender on the Z8 now and then mount the F adapter and 500 PF?
When using the FTZ and F mount lenses you need to use the f mount TC, not a Z mount TC. The Z mount TC will only work with the Z lenses. It isn’t possible to put the FTZ adapter on the Z teleconverter.

Nope. It can't be done. You cannot fit an FTZ adapter on the front end of a Z TC. The FTZ adapter always has to be mounted to the body first before mounting an F-mount TC or TC-lens combo.

When using the FTZ and F mount lenses you need to use the f mount TC, not a Z mount TC. The Z mount TC will only work with the Z lenses. It isn’t possible to put the FTZ adapter on the Z teleconverter.
much appreciated!
Nope. It can't be done. You cannot fit an FTZ adapter on the front end of a Z TC. The FTZ adapter always has to be mounted to the body first before mounting an F-mount TC or TC-lens combo.
Thanks much!

Why is that? I have a Tamron 28-75 2.8 that I use for jazz performance photography that will not AF on the Z8 with an FTZ lens adapter.
I don’t know why but the version III was much faster and more precise than the version II. Third party lenses sometimes don’t work with Nikon teles. When I had a Sigma 150 to 600 sport the only teleconverter that would work with AF was the Sigma 1401.

Exactly what are you basing this claim on? I have seen comparisons from those I trust and they all say there is no difference.
Maybe I had a bad one in my version II but with the 500pf it was very slow to focus, focus was not accurate. The version III was much better and faster with the 500pf and was always spot on when focusing on a subject.

I tried a friends 1.4 version II and it was the same as my version II.

Last edited:
Ok, mine is fast and produces excellent IQ. Thanks. I have also had amazing results with my TC20EIII.
I purchased the vs II 1.4 tele long before I bought the 500 pf with the 300 f4 predecessor to the pf. It worked okay but just didn't like the output. Then I got the 500 pf with the same results with a D500 and D850. it did work better on the Z6II with the adapter and the 500pf. Then the landlord who I rent the farmland from moved back and he had the 1.4 vs III and used with his Nikon 200-500. I told him that i had the vs II and he told me he didn't like it either. He switched to canon and sold me his vs III. When the 600pf came out I bought the 1.4 x and sold the vs III with my 500pf.

Maybe I had a bad one in my version II but with the 500pf it was very slow to focus, focus was not accurate. The version III was much better and faster with the 500pf and was always spot on when focusing on a subject.

I tried a friends 1.4 version II and it was the same as my version II.
I’ve never noticed an AF difference. But according to a Photography Life review, the iii appeared to produce somewhat better IQ with some of the newest high end F mount teles.

There been a fair amount of discussion on the F mount TC14's. It's correct Nikon recommends vIII for E type F-Nikkors. They released TC14 III together launched with the 400 f2.8E FL. The Z MILC's give a new lease on life to the Fmount TC pairings. The Z AF works at slow apertures (down to f22), and it obviates the need for AF fine-tune

Why is that? I have a Tamron 28-75 2.8 that I use for jazz performance photography that will not AF on the Z8 with an FTZ lens adapter.
TCs have to mount very close to the back glass of the telephoto lens to work properly. As for the Tamron that won't AF on the Z8, it might be an older lens that needs a screw drive, which the mirrorless Nikons do not have. Or it could be that the lens does not understand the latest Nikon focus signals or supply the correct signals for the Z8 body. Third party lens makers have to reverse engineer the signal protocols, as Nikon has not generally made them available to other manufacturers. There may be a recent exception to that, but Tamron was not it.

The Z mount tc's will only work on lenses designed to fit them. The Z tc's have an extended depth on the lens side and the lens element itself has to be recessed so it can fit. The caps for these Z tc's include warning reminder not to install it backwards.

There are a number of Z mount lenses that will not work with a Z tc. As I recall the z 105 macro lens will not work with the Z tc's.

The FTZ adapters which allow F mount lenses to be used on Z mount cameras is designed to bring the F mount lens close enough so its focal plane is at the Z sensor. Even if were possible to put a Z tc between the FTZ and the camera, this would throw off the focus plane of the lens.

The Z mount tc's will only work on lenses designed to fit them. The Z tc's have an extended depth on the lens side and the lens element itself has to be recessed so it can fit. The caps for these Z tc's include warning reminder not to install it backwards.

There are a number of Z mount lenses that will not work with a Z tc. As I recall the z 105 macro lens will not work with the Z tc's.

The FTZ adapters which allow F mount lenses to be used on Z mount cameras is designed to bring the F mount lens close enough so its focal plane is at the Z sensor. Even if were possible to put a Z tc between the FTZ and the camera, this would throw off the focus plane of the lens.
Thanks everyone!

Actually, the FTZ adapters move the F mount lenses away from the sensor, as the mirror sensor is at the very front (just behind the sensor guard). The F mount sensors or film are at the back of the mirror box to allow for the mirror and viewfinder prism. And of course, the mounts are different sizes. The larger Z mount allows for some better optical results. All in all, if you can afford one of the new mirror bodies, you will not be disappointed.

Back