Nikon AF-S TC-14E II or III

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

AlanTW

Supporting Member
Marketplace
Could anybody please advise as to whether there is any significant difference in IQ between the MkII and MkIII TC 14E, when used on the 500PF?

My understanding is that the IQ difference is minimal. The differences most commonly cited are that the II will work with more lenses than the III and that the III is more weather-resistant. I only have the III, so I can't really attest to the relative IQ from personal experience, though.

Nikon released TCE14 III in May 2014 with the 400 f2.8E FL . Version III is better than the TC14 vII, but this depends on the lens. It is better with the newer E telephotos, all else being equal especially atmospherics. The F mount Teleconverters focus more precisely on the Z cameras, which also overcomes the hassles and technical constraints with AFFT

There're links and more, here, particularly in the 2020 thread and 2 more recent

Last edited:
Hello everyone!
I just got used TCE14 III. Installed it on 500 PF and it seems to work. But I noticed small lever inside TC, which moves freely and makes sound when TC is not installed.
Is it normal?
Thanks in advance for your help.

Hello everyone!
I just got used TCE14 III. Installed it on 500 PF and it seems to work. But I noticed small lever inside TC, which moves freely and makes sound when TC is not installed.
Is it normal?
I think so. Mine makes the same noise when not connected but solid as a rock when it’s on the camera. In the end, it takes really nice photos and that all that counts for me.

Hello everyone!
Is it normal?
Yes, that's normal. It's the mechanical linkage between camera and the aperture lever on those lenses so equiped. It's under spring tension from the camera when the TC is installed so it doesn't rattle like it does when unattached.

When used with the newer E lenses, the EIII version seems to perform better. I had an EII that I used with a 70-200 E and it was ok. I got an EIII and it is much better. I tried both on a 500f4E and the EIII was noticably sharper. I have 2 EIII's now and they are the same. Maybe the EII wasn't up to par, but from what I've seen I'll stick with the EIII. Nikon will often tweak things and not say anything.

Version II has 5 elements, compared to 7 in TC-14E III, which has updated electronics. So it's incompatible with many older AFS D type telephotos. The newer version also has SIC coatings.

1666270672338.png

1666270626336.png

When I first had the TC-20 III teleconverter and was doing autofocus fine tuning with the D850 it was apparent that the III version of the 2x TC was much sharper than the TC-14 II. I quickly sold the TC-14 II and bought the TC-14 III version.

When I first had the TC-20 III teleconverter and was doing autofocus fine tuning with the D850 it was apparent that the III version of the 2x TC was much sharper than the TC-14 II. I quickly sold the TC-14 II and bought the TC-14 III version.
Thank you for the info

I've never used the TC-14E II. I do use the TC-14E III. Some folks believe the TC-14E III is sharper than the 14E II, and it's also been mentioned that the TC-14E III works better with lenses with electronic apertures.

I believe it also depends to some extent on the camera - mirrorless vs DSLR. Based on what people have reported it seems that a teleconverter works better on a mirrorless camera, and especially in lower light. DSLR's cannot focus accurately consistently when the maximum apertrure is smaller than F/8. Mirrorless cameras can still focus accurately at smaller apertures. A photographer I know of often posts good mages on another photography forum that he makes with a Z6II and TC-20E III and 500mm PF lens. His minimum aperture in those instances is F/11. That would not really be feasible with a DSLR.

Last edited:
I'm of the opinion that the TC-14 III and TC-14 II differences in optical quality are, overall, minimal. Over the years, I've owned and used both of them. If I were asked,
I likely couldn't look at any photo they were used to create and tell which TC was installed at the time.

As Rassie mentions above, the additional equipment you're using the TC with really matters. IMNWO, that is especially true of the lens the TC is used with.

I'm of the opinion that the TC-14 III and TC-14 II differences in optical quality are, overall, minimal. Over the years, I've owned and used both of them. If I were asked,
I likely couldn't look at any photo they were used to create and tell which TC was installed at the time.

As Rassie mentions above, the additional equipment you're using the TC with really matters. IMNWO, that is especially true of the lens the TC is used with.
Thanks for info

Could anybody please advise as to whether there is any significant difference in IQ between the MkII and MkIII TC 14E, when used on the 500PF?
There is a small difference. The III is slightly better.
But although I have a dozen or so of them i'm not a fan of TCs.
I only carry them in case I cant get the image any other way...🦘

Back