Using 70-200mm lens on safaris. Examples. from 2023.

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Do not have the 70-200 f2.8 any more since too heavy for me. Now I have a Z6iii and take the 100-400 - along with the d500 - 500 PF. And always carry at least 2 bodies and sometimes a third with the 24-120. But here is one from a while ago
yes, that's true, it is not light lens. and yea 100-400 is an excellent lens but you cannot go to f2.8. Yes, you definitely don't need but I like experience! And 500PF is one of my favourites! I think, I need to challenge myself and shoot one day of safari only with 500PF.
Thank you for comment!

Great shots all. Every time I use my (old, original VR f mount) 70-200 2.8 lens, which I still do, I'm reminded why it was the lens that was on my D3 for nearly the entire time I shot with that camera; great lens and FL zoom. And now with some cropping room using it on the Z9.... :) In your hands, certainly, it proves its worth for wildlife most definitely, too!
Oh..! I had the very first one, too! MY lions from 2011 are shoot with it! And TC 2.0
Thank yo, Steven!

All very nice Elena! My favorite is the elephant “holding” the sun on it’s tusk. I’m suprised you can get close enough with the 70-200 to get these kind of shots but I have never been to Africa.
Thank you, Roy! Oh, yes, you can come close. Or they come to you. Actually there was a hide in form of platform and downstairs was a fence separating waterhole of vehicles. And I was standing beside of this fence making so as if I was a part of it. Elephants don't see well, they are near-sighted but they smell very good. In this place they are used to all kind of human and vehicles smelliness ;-)

First time I heard hyenas and friendly used in the same sentence!!

Oh, I love hyenas especially after reading the book of Mark and Delia Owens "Cry of the Kalahari" (very recommended)
They can hunt, they are smart, emancipated, very social, sometimes funny and even cute. Those, in Hwange National Park are especially cultivated 😅 and look always very nice.
There are some people who love hyenas, I hope, I am not alone ;-)

Back