Using Focus Position Save/Recall with Z7 using Firmware update 3.50 10/20/22

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Much to Nikon's credit, yesterday's firmware update included enabling focus point save and recall with newer tele S lenses such as 100 - 400. I have updated the firmware, and it works, but one aspect is confusing. The focus point "saved" icon does not immediately appear in the viewfinder after one push of the Lens L-Fn button. It takes about 3 pushes and a little waiting to get the point saved. (Recall is instantaneous after pushing the Lens L-Fn 2 button). The updated Reference Manual for the Z7 which accompanies the firmware download says "Focus positions cannot be saved while shooting information is displayed." What I understand to be "shooting information" like shutter speed, f stop, ISO is ALWAYS displayed when the camera is on. PLEASE CLARIFY!
How does this feature work for Z9, Z7 II, and Z6 II which have had it for some time?
If shooting BIF, for example, I was planning to save the focus point immediately after focus acquisition so that if the camera focuses on background trees I could promptly recall the focus distance to the bird (or where it WAS) and not have to endure the camera hunting for something to focus on.

I was very disappointed when I bought the 100-400, to find that focus recall was impossible on the Z7. I emailed back and forth with Nikon Customer Service who confirmed my findings, and was not optimistic for a firmware update like they issued yesterday. I think they deserve appreciation for updating the firmware on a camera released a little over 4 years ago!!!

Much to Nikon's credit, yesterday's firmware update included enabling focus point save and recall with newer tele S lenses such as 100 - 400. I have updated the firmware, and it works, but one aspect is confusing. The focus point "saved" icon does not immediately appear in the viewfinder after one push of the Lens L-Fn button. It takes about 3 pushes and a little waiting to get the point saved. (Recall is instantaneous after pushing the Lens L-Fn 2 button). The updated Reference Manual for the Z7 which accompanies the firmware download says "Focus positions cannot be saved while shooting information is displayed." What I understand to be "shooting information" like shutter speed, f stop, ISO is ALWAYS displayed when the camera is on. PLEASE CLARIFY!
How does this feature work for Z9, Z7 II, and Z6 II which have had it for some time?
If shooting BIF, for example, I was planning to save the focus point immediately after focus acquisition so that if the camera focuses on background trees I could promptly recall the focus distance to the bird (or where it WAS) and not have to endure the camera hunting for something to focus on.

I was very disappointed when I bought the 100-400, to find that focus recall was impossible on the Z7. I emailed back and forth with Nikon Customer Service who confirmed my findings, and was not optimistic for a firmware update like they issued yesterday. I think they deserve appreciation for updating the firmware on a camera released a little over 4 years ago!!!
I have no idea what the Nikon manual means when it says that focus positions cannot be save when viewing shooting information. Maybe they’re saying that if your reviewing shooting info in playback, you can’t save a focus position. I don’t know. Just ignore that unless someone can elaborate.

The idea behind the focus position save/recall is to help your AF operation “ start out” by being close to where you want the lens to focus, especially if you’re trying to focus on a relative small object or one that lacks sufficient contrast to “attract” focus. Facing that scenario the best approach is to use your lens manual focusing ring to focus to an appropriate distance where your subject might be, press and hold your programmed Lens FN/FN2 (whichever one you’ve set in custom settings f2) button until you see a confirmation pop up in your viewfinder. It does take about two seconds or so to register. Then, when you try to focus on your subject, and if your lens starts to rack back and forth, or simply gets confused and loses focus, press whatever lens FN button programmed for focus recall. This will help your AF system by at least having the lens pre-focused to a distance where that LTB is ( LTB= little tiny bird). No guarantees that this 100% will get your focus problem solved. But this is what you do to “ help” your AF system which otherwise is struggling to find the “LTB”.

Last edited:
Back