Value of the 800mm PF lens

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Calson

I had fire fighting planes circling around my house and grabbed the 800mm PF lens and photographed them hand holding the camera and lens the entire time. My deck was not the best vantage point but nonetheless I was happy to get the shots that I did.

I experimented on the fly so to speak with various autofocus modes and what worked the best for me was DAF medium. I did find myself wishing that the 800mm PF had an infinity marking on the lens. I could not have gotten anything with the 400mm f/2.8 or the 600mm f/4 lenses on a tripod.

FFP_BSZ0635.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

great shot!!!

after shooting wildlife , BIF handheld for about 7 years with D500, D850 with 500pf, now with Z9 plus 500 pf, 100-400 Z lens and 800pf , complemented at times with OM-1 and 300 f/4 I dont remember what a tripod is 😃

Last week I was missing the lens screen showing the focus. I spotted an eagle up high, I wanted a better look, but I had no way of quickly knowing if I’m at infinity.

I focused on a far far away subject, assumed its on infinity and pointed the lens straight up. I found the eagle.

Back