Vehicle Camera Rest

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

I have a Isuzu Double Cab 4x4 utility ATV and i would like to build a camera rest between the front two seats to rest my camera while i am driving through the bush.

My camera is a DSLR with a 500mm lens attached and at present i lay the camera across my lap whilst driving, but this is not ideal especially when i am driving through really rough terrain, it tends to bounce around and sometimes even falls down between my legs.

I would like to build a centre console rest that i can lay the camera upon whilst i am driving so that it is out of the way but quick and easy accessable when needed.

Has anybody build something similar to what i am asking and if so, can you send me some pictures for me to copy or point me in a direction where i could find assistance.

I dont want to use a door mount because most times i exit the vehicle to do the actual photograph, shooting from inside the cab is only done when it is raining.

looking forward to receiving some advice.

regards

Ronnie,
There was a thread here a while back talking about similar topic. Maybe some ideas for you here:

Modification of the bean bag idea. Use a cloth bag with outer dimensions about equal to the center console footprint. Fill the bag with wood shavings, sunflower seed or something similar that has give in it. Place the bag on the console and nestle the camera/lens combo in that "pillow". You can also use large elastic bands around the camera and pillow to keep the camera secured to the pillow.

I am assuming you want thel lens attached to the camera. The problem is that you have to protect to mounting area on the lens and the camera from any damage as you bounce around on rough roads or ground. The only thing that comes to mind is a long lens bag designed with needed support at the stress point just mentioned. And that lens bag needs to be firmly strapped to a seat. If you were to use a laundry basket with proper support in it, it still could bounce out and get damaged. You have to figure out some way to lock down the lens and the camera w/o stressing the mounting plates.

Back