Vietnam and Cambodia

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Lance B

Supporting Member
Marketplace
I didn't know where to put this thread as it isn't all strictly landscapes. Maybe we need a travel section?

Anyway, I went to Vietnam and Cambodia for a few weeks. It didn't help that I hurt my lower back the day we left and suffered for the first week with it, making enjoyment of anything rather tough. All this in extremely hot humid conditions mostly in the south of Vietnam and Cambodia. It was 39 Deg C every day we were in Siem Reap where Angkor Wat is. I took the 14-30 f4 and the 24-120 f4 which served me well and probably used the 24-120 95% of the time.

Anyway, here are a few images.

It's almost impossible to get a shot of Ha Long Bay without a boat/ship in the photo somewhere! So, I sometimes made them a focal point.

1) Ha Long Bay
A World Heritage site.
original.jpg

2) Ha Long Bay
original.jpg

3) Ha Long Bay
original.jpg

4) Ha Long Bay
original.jpg

5) Huế
An Imperial City gate at night
A World Heritage site
original.jpg

6) Tam Giang–Cau Hai Lagoon
original.jpg

7) Tam Giang–Cau Hai Lagoon
original.jpg

8) Hội An
A World Heritage site.
The city of lanterns
original.jpg

9) Hội An
original.jpg

10) Angkor Wat
A World Heritage site
The largest religious structure in the world.
original.jpg

11) Angkor Wat
original.jpg

12) Angkor Wat
original.jpg

13) Monks in Angkor Wat
original.jpg

I didn't know where to put this thread as it isn't all strictly landscapes. Maybe we need a travel section?

Anyway, I went to Vietnam and Cambodia for a few weeks. It didn't help that I hurt my lower back the day we left and suffered for the first week with it, making enjoyment of anything rather tough. All this in extremely hot humid conditions mostly in the south of Vietnam and Cambodia. It was 39 Deg C every day we were in Siem Reap where Angkor Wat is. I took the 14-30 f4 and the 24-120 f4 which served me well and probably used the 24-120 95% of the time.

It's almost impossible to get a shot of Ha Long Bay without a boat/ship in the photo somewhere! So, I sometimes made them a focal point.

1) Ha Long Bay
A World Heritage site.
original.jpg

2) Ha Long Bay
original.jpg

3) Ha Long Bay
original.jpg

4) Ha Long Bay
original.jpg

5) Huế
A World Heritage site
original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

8) Hội An
A World Heritage site.
The city of lanterns
original.jpg

9) Hội An
original.jpg

10) Angkor Wat
A World Heritage site
original.jpg

11) Angkor Wat
original.jpg

12) Angkor Wat
original.jpg

13) Monks in Angkor Wat
original.jpg
Excellent! 👍👍👍. Lance, how did you get so many photos in one post. I get stopped at eight?

1) Ha Long Bay
A World Heritage site.
original.jpg

2) Ha Long Bay
original.jpg

3) Ha Long Bay
original.jpg

4) Ha Long Bay
original.jpg

5) Huế
A World Heritage site
original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

8) Hội An
A World Heritage site.
The city of lanterns
original.jpg

9) Hội An
original.jpg

10) Angkor Wat
A World Heritage site
original.jpg

11) Angkor Wat
original.jpg

12) Angkor Wat
original.jpg

13) Monks in Angkor Wat
original.jpg
Wow, really nice shots. Thank you for sharing with us

While traveling in Cambodia we hired a car with AC along with a combination driver, guide, and translator. Being able to take a break and cool down inside the car made a great deal of difference. The sedan along with the driver provided us a safe place to store some of our photo gear so we could walk around without the backpacks. In Cambodia the guides need to be licensed by the government and as a result they are highly professional and very reliable.

Wonderful images, Lance!

I can relate to the heat and humidity! We visited Siem Reap in April 2005 ....and it (and Bangkok) was really miserable. I rinsed out a very light-weight top and it was still damp after 3 days! Fascinating area, though!

While traveling in Cambodia we hired a car with AC along with a combination driver, guide, and translator. Being able to take a break and cool down inside the car made a great deal of difference. The sedan along with the driver provided us a safe place to store some of our photo gear so we could walk around without the backpacks. In Cambodia the guides need to be licensed by the government and as a result they are highly professional and very reliable.
Yes, we were in a private tour of just four of us and a minivan so, we essentially had a similar situation.

Wonderful images, Lance!

I can relate to the heat and humidity! We visited Siem Reap in April 2005 ....and it (and Bangkok) was really miserable. I rinsed out a very light-weight top and it was still damp after 3 days! Fascinating area, though!
Thank you very much, Karen. Much appreciated!

I don't like the heat and humidity but I did cope. We used "neck towels" soaked in water and put in the fridge before we went out which helped. Definitely a fascinating place and the people were lovely.

Really great shots Lance. I’m amazed how you were able to get shots at Angkor Wat

without anybody in the picture.

Thank you very much, jbk2forum. Much appreciated!

There were a few spots where there were no people for a few seconds - you had to be lucky and quickly get the shot! But elsewhere, it was packed!

Do you do anything special to upload them to this site? My photos that I upload never look nearly as sharp as they do on my computer.
No, I just do very, very minor sharpening in post process and upload them to my photo hosting site - in this case PBase.

Beautiful photos Lance. Wise choice to incorporate the boats - they give a really god sense of place. Would love to go there myself but don't think the wife will go for it...

Thank you very much, JHorsch. Much appreciated!

Vietnam and Cambodia are both very safe, but I would get a guided tour if you can. The only drawback for me was the heat in southern Vietnam and Cambodia (especially Cambodia!)

Wonderful! Makes we want to go there too.

Thank you very much, Carol. Much appreciated!

I can definitely recommend it. Other than my bad back early on and the heat of Cambodia, I had a great time. I just wish I had done a few extra areas, especially the Incense farms.

Back