Vintage and exotic solutions for topic "reach"

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Woodpecker

Supporting Member
Marketplace
When I did some research because of wanting to change m insurance I came across the site Nikon Lenses hosted by a kiwi and I was flabbergasted by some of the lenses listed here, especially looking at the long end:
Lugging these around must have been real enthusiasm, especially considering that in these days you had to live with the light sensitivity limitations of film and no VR what so ever 🙂 .
Via one of these links I found a hint to a post of a guy actually combining a Zeiss 1000mm f/5.6 with a Sony A7.

Isn't it great ???

The reflex lenses would be short and relatively light, but the fixed f/stop would have been limiting. However, the 1000mm reflex on a newer camera that has IBIS would be really interesting.

The zoom is a monster, no question - 16kg - that's 5.3 times the weight of the new Sony or Canon 600 f:4 lenses.
The other 2 are mirror lenses so not as bulky and heavy as the focal length and aperture might suggest (but still some pretty solid beasts for sure). I agree with woody a 1000mm f:6.3 on a mirrorless with IBIS would be a serious birding lens but mirror lenses are not particularly sharp or the bokeh can be downright ugly depending on the direction of the light so I'd much prefer a newer version with PF & VR (even f:8 to keep bulk and cost down) - it wouldn't be cheap but it would be the small bird dream-lens for sure.

Back