Waikiki Beach Blue Hour

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

splatbass

Supporting Member
Marketplace
I tried something different here, let me know what you think. D850, 16-35mm f4 (at 16mm), 2.5", f22, ISO220.

Waikiki Nightscape BCG DSC_9775 copy.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

I would have opened up the aperture. F/22 softened up the image with diffraction. I believe you could have gotten a sharper result with f/11. I would have also tried stacking to get the seawall sharp as a tack all the way through against the softened surf from the longer exposure. Nice composition.

I would have opened up the aperture. F/22 softened up the image with diffraction. I believe you could have gotten a sharper result with f/11. I would have also tried stacking to get the seawall sharp as a tack all the way through against the softened surf from the longer exposure. Nice composition.

@R.Philip

So to achieve an image in the manor that you are suggesting would you let’s say take a 3 or 4 shot sequence and focus on the wall at different places throughout the images to keep everything sharp ?

Then would another separate image need to be taken at a long exposure to gain the effects of the streaking clouds , and finally, blend ALL of the images together thus creating a pin sharp single photo with the effect of a long exposure being the outcome, would that be correct ?

Harry.G

The D850 has focus shift mode that does the focus stack for you. The method u suggest sounds like one method. Another would be to use a 3 or 6 stop ND filter in the focus stack. I believe the exposure would be sufficiently static to accomplish it all in the focus stack. The original image was only 2.5 seconds.

Back