Waiting to Leave

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

David Berry

🇦🇺 Australia 🦘
Bar-tailed Godwits…
Bar-tailed Godwits : Limosa lapponica
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

Bar-tailed Godwits : Limosa lapponica
Moreton Bay, Queensland, AU

With the equinox only days away and the male's plumage already more appropriate for the far northern hemisphere, these two Bar-tailed Godwits are ready to commence their 10,000 kilometre migration.

Also spending the boreal winter in Moreton Bay (links within BCG):

Last edited:
Almost the exact same temperature right now in Anchorage. Uncanny :rolleyes:
Oh, yes! :ROFLMAO:

I read somewhere that Brisbane and London have much the same weather during June. As I did live in London long ago, I ought to know: sounds about right.

Anyway, now is that intriguing time of year when we all receive equal lengths of day and night. Roughly: Anchorage 150ºW, Brisbane 150ºE; therefore, sun rises and sets four hours earlier in Anchorage (today's trivia).
… David

Last edited:
Oh, yes! :ROFLMAO:

I read somewhere that Brisbane and London have much the same weather during June. As I did live in London long ago, I ought to know: sounds about right.

Anyway, now is that intriguing time of year when we all receive equal lengths of day and night. Roughly: Anchorage 150ºW, Brisbane 150ºE; therefore, sun rises and sets four hours earlier in Anchorage (today's trivia).
… David

Well if you enjoy geographic trivia, the farthest north, east, and west points in the 50 United States are all in Alaska.

As we pass the equinox in Anchorage the daylight hours are increasing/decreasing by six minutes per day.

In December/early January the "golden hour" lasts for 28 days.

We actually suffer less jetlag travelling to NZ than to the east coast of the USA, three hours vs four hours time difference.

Have passport; will travel?

I took far too many godwit photos. Whilst culling the out-of-focus and out-of-frame failures, I spotted this bird with a tiny green ID 'flag' attached to its right leg! (As far as I know, a green flag indicates Queensland.)

Bar-tailed Godwit

Bar-tailed Godwit

Well if you enjoy geographic trivia, the farthest north, east, and west points in the 50 United States are all in Alaska.

As we pass the equinox in Anchorage the daylight hours are increasing/decreasing by six minutes per day.

In December/early January the "golden hour" lasts for 28 days.

We actually suffer less jetlag travelling to NZ than to the east coast of the USA, three hours vs four hours time difference.
I notice travelling west imparts less jetlag also.

Back