Wanting a Z8..

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

I recently sold a Canon R5 in anticipation of the R5 MK II before the used prices of them really dropped..OK, its gone. The newer model was not what I was expecting and decided to jump ship..(I am still awaiting a Canon 200-800MM since last November...). So,I had decided on the Z-8 and an adapter for my ef lenses and will sell the RF Lens...My question is simply does anyone have any idea when Nikon has any major sales, or do I have to wait for Black Friday...? I had put a Z8 and 70-120 (I think) NIkkor lens in my cart (BestBuy), then I had surgery on my left hand, by the time I got back to my cart, it was regularly priced 700.00 higher..My fault, but now I cant bring myself to paying the 700.00 mistake premium!!
There is a refurbished sale at Nikon for the next 2 days. It was 4 days total. Z8 a thousand dollars off if you want a refurbished one

It sounds like the r5ii is the better solution objectively, once you get over whatever is making you angry. Running 2 brands can be a pain, though people do it. They added the cooling vents to reduce overheating and introduced active cooling in one of the grips. You need the new batteries.

3656.95 is ludicrous for the same camera they were selling for over a month at 3295.99...I did see the two refurbished on their site, but I'm not comfortable buying refurbished, especially at re-sale time...Refurbished to me is the same as used and buying used if not below at least half off the original price, I pass..Just me, I guess...Sony was the same way on their A7Rv is 400 higher now than it was a week ago..Now the Canon R5Mkii at 4300.00 is well just about the outrages mark..I will do without, I refuse to pay these prices...But, thank-you !!!!
FYI - my refurbished Z8 bought in February from Nikon had an actuation count of 5 and was in new condition. I suspect it was not sold earlier because its serial number was among a large batch of those subject to the two early advisories. I'm guessing it took time for Nikon to work through the backlog to correct any deficiencies before putting them on sale as refurbs. I have no regrets.

FYI - my refurbished Z8 bought in February from Nikon had an actuation count of 5 and was in new condition. I suspect it was not sold earlier because its serial number was among a large batch of those subject to the two early advisories. I'm guessing it took time for Nikon to work through the backlog to correct any deficiencies before putting them on sale as refurbs. I have no regrets.

Im happy for ya, really...I would not be happy with a refurbished/used...with the caveat of the price(s) wanted for it..

It sounds like the r5ii is the better solution objectively, once you get over whatever is making you angry. Running 2 brands can be a pain, though people do it. They added the cooling vents to reduce overheating and introduced active cooling in one of the grips. You need the new batteries.

Im not I would call angry, nor am I "running" two brands...My Macro stuff is my macro stuff with the EF lenses (and others) with my Stackshot..The R6Mkii actually belongs to my wife..My ZWO stuff is planetary and deep space, my modified 5DMKii stays attached to my Televue-85 and the ZWO to my FSQ106EDX...I can tell them apart...I do not wish to purchase new Canon batteries, nor a new Canon Grip to keep a camera cool nor anything else Canon...They make great stuff but no longer for me..I have plenty to do while awaiting a NIkon of Sony sale...:giggle::giggle:

As what...¿. Yen in June July 0.0069...Yen Yesterday....0.0069 ...So its the same, but somehow ..different...
Over the last few months, one dollar has fallen from about 161 yen to today's 144 yen, about a 10% drop. So maybe the recent price increase of some Nikon products was to absorb some of this loss in revenue?

Attachments

• yen per dollar.png
    yen per dollar.png
    43 KB · Views: 3
Over the last few months, one dollar has fallen from about 161 yen to today's 144 yen, about a 10% drop. So maybe the recent price increase of some Nikon products was to absorb some of this loss in revenue?

Could be, not sure I care...Sales aside to clear inventory, I don't recall any manufacture drop prices when their currency goes up..I don't particularly watch for it tho...I am a dyed in the wool Capitalist and for FAIR trade...(I would like to see a raise in price triggering a raise in tariffs or manufacture it here ie, BMW, Glock ect.ect...For me, Ill just wait on a sale !!!

Thank-You Kieth, Ill check it out....I once bought a EAA camera from an outfit in Montreal (I think), was hung up seemed forever in Customs...Not their fault, just the way it was...

EDIT : It come out to present U.S. prices with Canadian shipping. BestBuy's price is 3799....There is a little savings tho, not enough to deal with duty (Tariffs)..heheh

Last edited:
They just had a refurbished sale with a z8 for 3k. I would be OK with a refurbished camera from Nikon itself but I tend to prefer new glass. Depending on what you are shooting a z8 may be overkill. It’s an action camera very fast etc but if you are planning on landscape or general photography you may want to consider a z6iii.

I posted this on another thread. Nikon Japan reports that the price increase for the 180-600 lens (and a few other products) is meant to offset rising raw material, manufacturing, and logistics costs. These increased costs may be related to exchange rate fluctuation over the past quarter or two, but the announcement is silent on that issue.

Attachments

• IMG_1102.jpeg
    IMG_1102.jpeg
    740.1 KB · Views: 2
I posted this on another thread. Nikon Japan reports that the price increase for the 180-600 lens (and a few other products) is meant to offset rising raw material, manufacturing, and logistics costs. These increased costs may be related to exchange rate fluctuation over the past quarter or two, but the announcement is silent on that issue.
Something tells me when the 180-600 sales tank they will run a "Sale" ...

I want to respond to the comment about buying refurbished or used. I am retired so I have to watch my equipment spending. I bought my Z9 and the 400 TC 2.8 new at list price from my local camera store because I wanted access to certain features and they were both just released when I got them. For a recent trip to Central America I needed a brighter, short telephoto. I picked up a used 300 PF and mounted it with the FTZ I already had. Worked great for hummingbirds and on rain forest trails where I really appreciated having f/4 available. I later added a used Z8 as a back-up body. It was listed "like new" when it arrived it still had the warranty card and was in pristine condition. I sold some older and surplus camera gear so the net cost for the Z8 was $1400. The risks can be managed and you can stretch your photography budget by careful use of the used and refurbished market.

Thanks! I am sure there are many considerations in pricing goods for a large international company like Nikon. Supply and demand, price of materials, etc as you noted. My dad had a small business and would import raw materials from other countries but sell in the US so currencies made a difference in the cost of the imported materials. And the worst thing is for plants to sit idle. Or have finished goods piling up in the supply chain. If one can wait, then one can grab the occasional sales as a company tried to even out its product and demand. However there is a cost of waiting, which is not having the camera to take pics in the wait time.
PS. I bought my Z8 when it was released for $3997. I am sure later I could have gotten it cheaper but wouldn't have had it during the time I was waiting.

Last edited:
When I put that camera in my cart from Bestbuy it was 3495. then let it accidentally expire..If your happy paying 500.00 extra for not waiting, great...A camera to me is just another hammer in my toolbox...I do not earn income from it, in fact it is disposable income to buy it..I do not need it, I want it, so I can wait for the sale, whenever it comes which is the question I originally asked...I may have said I'm impatiently waiting, but not 500.00 impatient (or actually 700.00)..I also wanted the 70-120 lens, was 4199.00 for both...(plus tax)..

Back