Waxwings in afternoon and golden sunset

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

BorderBirder

Supporting Member
Marketplace
I would appreciate your comments and preferences on these images. They were provided by a generous irruption of Eurasian Waxwings from Scandinavia to us in Scotland this winter. The golden hour light produced a dramatic change in their appearance.

I also thought number 4 might be interesting for some caption suggestions if you fancied!
Waxwings-0111-IMG_00001.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.
Waxwings-0111-IMG_00003.jpg
Waxwings-0111-IMG_00004.jpg
Waxwings-0111-IMG_00005.jpg
Waxwings-0111-IMG_00006.jpg
Waxwings-0111-IMG_00007.jpg

ENVIOUS! Great shots!
Thanks very much Lisa. Lovely encouragement. These birds have been so generous to us here this winter. Probably shortage of food in Scandinavia causing them to come over in significant numbers. They’ve been in our area since late November. Such characters and completely different appearance in different light. Colour your winter with waxwings!

Since you asked for critique, I have to say that 'if it were possible', #1, I would've moved around to the other side of the birds and put the sun to my back and #2, not centered the birds quite as much. Other than that, these are fantastic shots, really pretty.

Since you asked for critique, I have to say that 'if it were possible', #1, I would've moved around to the other side of the birds and put the sun to my back and #2, not centered the birds quite as much. Other than that, these are fantastic shots, really pretty.
Thanks my doggy friend! Yes I agree about both comments. ~~~Regards the direction of sunlight, if I had been on my own I would probably have moved, but there was a fellow photographer in situ, and I didn't wish to risk disturbing the birds. Also it is near a fishing stretch of river with some intimidating signs....As it was, as a result I had to pick out thise where the bird tiwsted to catch the sun!
I shall re crop number 2 - I originally had more negative space on the left hand side. I agree its to centrakl looking back at it, now. Thanks for the input, genuinely appreciated.

As a dog lover I'm sure you'll be impressed by my Border Collie sitting still, off the lead for the entire shoot.

Thanks my doggy friend! Yes I agree about both comments. ~~~Regards the direction of sunlight, if I had been on my own I would probably have moved, but there was a fellow photographer in situ, and I didn't wish to risk disturbing the birds. Also it is near a fishing stretch of river with some intimidating signs....As it was, as a result I had to pick out thise where the bird tiwsted to catch the sun!
I shall re crop number 2 - I originally had more negative space on the left hand side. I agree its to centrakl looking back at it, now. Thanks for the input, genuinely appreciated.

As a dog lover I'm sure you'll be impressed by my Border Collie sitting still, off the lead for the entire shoot.
I used to throw frisbee with brothers and friends when I was younger but all that is behind me. For some time, I've wanted a border collie to play frisbee with, would be a lot of fun.

Back