Weevil Snout

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Andrew Lamberson

Supporting Member
Marketplace
I made the plunge and for my birthday I purchased the Mitutoyo 5X M Plan microscope objective that mounts on my WeMacro Raynox 150 Tube Lens and my Nikon Z6II. The "Mity 5x" lens is widely considered "the best" macro microscope lens at a "reasonable" price of a tad over $800 shipped.

This is a 50-image stack taken with the WeMacro rail and then run through both Helicon and Zerene Stacker. The Zerene D Map won the contest this time.

Then editing in Lightroom and Photoshop to get the image as good as I could to the best of my skills. There is a lot to learn!

From start to finish it was about 3 1/2 hours.

The little guy is small! The eye is about the size of the point of an ink pen. With the naked eye and even 1X with the Nikon macro lens, you don't see the hair or that the color is actually some type of scale (?). Obviously, you can't see the ocelli until you get to 5X.

"Super Macro" is an image over 1:1 magnification (macro) and is beyond the ability of the naked eye to see.

It's a whole new world!

Weevil snout-50.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

Thanks Patrick! It is a long learning curve, but it's cold here again (0 F -18 C) so I'm not planning any hikes today and I need something to stay engaged or the brain withers away!

Very nice, weevils are great subjects. When I was in grad school I spent many an hour hunched over a microscope dissecting acorn weevils since the only way to determine the species was by the male genitalia, which are a different shape in each species. For years I didn't want to ever look at a weevil again, but now that I'm a bit older weevils are interesting again.

Back