Western Tanager

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

BAL Land

From Orange County, California the other day. My first decent photo of these guys-they’re usually way up in the trees. This was just a walk around shot-got lucky when it landed low down in the bottlebrush and it finally went to an openish branch. No cloning. Handheld. Processed in topaz denoise and photoshop express. Critiques appreciated!!!

Image downsized for posting. Quite a tough bird to edit! All those bright colors came out of the camera really weirdly, I had to make a ton of color adjustments.

1682351197427.jpeg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

Very nice image! I'm not familiar with Photoshop Express, are you able to pull down the background exposure with that program? That may be the only suggestion I would have.

Very nice image! I'm not familiar with Photoshop Express, are you able to pull down the background exposure with that program? That may be the only suggestion I would have.
Thank you!! I can darken that down, but I had actually purposely brightened it. I felt the bird stands out more against the light background.

Really a beautiful pose and I like the bit of vegetation around the bird. I agree.....it seems a bit over exposed. The bottlebrush leaves should be a darker green and the whites and yellows a bit more saturated. I would just lower the exposure over all a bit and call it a day!

Thanks all!! How’s this? My biggest issue is getting the reds the correct shade, especially since the raw file the reds looked too orange.

1682630575564.jpeg

Just for giggles here’s the raw file. Suggestions on getting reds correct? Notice how the reds look too orange here. I’ve played alrund with saturation luminance and hue a lot.

Note that this is a screenshot.
F03D1DB3-C5EA-43BE-9729-FE26744B32A5.jpeg

Back