What 3-4 lenses would you purchase for Wildlife photography on the Nikon Z system

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

My wife and I are mostly looking for birds, with the occasional deer, fox, coyote, groundhog, squirrel, etc etc....

We use the following:
1 z9 and 2 z8 bodies and 400mm f4.5, 600mm f/6.3, 800mm f/6.3 lenses. Since it's cold and miserable here in Ohio we are mostly looking for raptors, ducks and such at this time. Having these bodies and lenses available seems to cover all our needs quite well. I also kept the old 500mm pf with the FTZ adapter since it is still such a good lens for just about anything. We left the world of zoom lenses behind because they just weren't giving the results we wanted when used at their high end. Now we feel we've got the best 'point and shoot' setups we've ever had. We have no regrets using all primes now and are very pleased with the Nikon z systems.

My wife and I are mostly looking for birds, with the occasional deer, fox, coyote, groundhog, squirrel, etc etc....

We use the following:
1 z9 and 2 z8 bodies and 400mm f4.5, 600mm f/6.3, 800mm f/6.3 lenses. Since it's cold and miserable here in Ohio we are mostly looking for raptors, ducks and such at this time. Having these bodies and lenses available seems to cover all our needs quite well. I also kept the old 500mm pf with the FTZ adapter since it is still such a good lens for just about anything. We left the world of zoom lenses behind because they just weren't giving the results we wanted when used at their high end. Now we feel we've got the best 'point and shoot' setups we've ever had. We have no regrets using all primes now and are very pleased with the Nikon z systems.
I have the same setup and the same response.

Most of whare I am involves birding and long reaches are desirable so I usually start with the 800mm.

I am still sorting out logistics of coordination among lenses. I prefer to use a tripod and gimbal where possible but it adds significantly to the equipment and is also less flexible. A monopod with Wimberley 100 mini gimbal head is much easier to manage but I think I need to improve my gimbal technique. I was out this week on the Washington coast and am still evaluating my images.

I would give some consideration to the f-mount 500mm PF lens that works quite well with the FTZ adapter on Z cameras. Used copies are selling for around $1800 on fredmiranda and quite a bargain compared to the cost of a 400mm f/4.5 and a 1.4x teleconverter at $3500.

Just starting building my lens kit, have the Nikon 24-120 and Nikon 400 f/4.5, in the future will decide which focal length I prefer at the long end.
I was at this position a little while ago.

In my experience using the 400 with a 1.4x tc gets you out to 560 (if my math is correct) will little loss in sharpness. At that level you can also crop significantly and still have a useful image. You can also switch to dx to gain additional reach.

You can also use a 2x tc and get out to 800mm. If you crop or go dx at that level you may not be happy with those results.

In my experience you will gain the most if you go to the 800mm pf. That lens is optically superb and will give you the maximum practical reach available.

Although I have not personally used it, I do not think the 180-600mm zoom makes sense for you to get longer. I understand the 180-600 is softer out at 600mm and your lens with the 1.4x tc would do a better job.

Another good choice is the 600mm F6.3 pf. That is a great lens and you would end up using that at 600 and above. The 600 can work effectively with a TC out to 800mm but you would be at F9 instead of F5.6 with the 800.

after doing some reading and thinking, I'm selling my 70-200 in favor of the 100-400. have considered the 180-600 but it's just too big for me. the new 3 lens setup will be

100-400mm F4.5-F5.6
400mm F2.8 TC
800mm F6.3

and then I'll most likely look to add a 400 4.5 or 600 6.3 down the road when funds are available

We use the following:
I shoot what you shoot. 14-24 for Astro and landscapes, 100-400 great on the water and for fast moving birds, 600 TC for most things, 1.4 TC, and monopod

I use the Nikon 180-600mm lens with a Nikon 1.4 TC behind it on my Z9. I pretty much leave that setup on all the time for wildlife shooting. It takes care of business from closeup subject right on up to infinity (works well for shooting the moon too). I have no urge for any other lenses for wildlife shooting. I have a custom button set up on my lens for swap from DX to FX when cropping calls for it.

I shoot the Z9 with multiple lenses, F-mount 14-24 and 500PF with the FTZ plus Z-mount 70-200, 100-400 and 800PF. Shoot all handheld, though using a monopod more often on the 800 because I am getting older. I will use the TC14 mostly with the 100-400 handheld, or on the 800 when using a tripod or monopod.

My limited funds and bad knees forced me to focus on a lower cost and lighter weight solution. So I went with the following:

* 400mm f/4.5 - Used, but like new copy for $2,500
* 1.4 TC - Used, but like new for $450
* F mount AF-P 70-300mm f/4.5 - 5.6E - Used, but like new for $400
* 105mm Macro - Used, but like new for $800

I sold the 100-400mm because I found its performance at 400mm to be unacceptable. I thought hard about the 180-600mm, but that lens is big, heavy and limited by that f/6.3 aperture.

Last edited:
Back