What advice would you give beginners about the most common mistakes to avoid

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Lots of mistakes to avoid but realistically you have to experience them to learn why they are mistakes. You can’t always shortcut the learning curve.

So the top mistake I’d say is giving up too quickly. Second one is related: not trying things and seeing what happens because you never know when serendipity strikes. Last one on my list is believing you have to do photography the same way as someone else.
Absolutely, could not say it better….. you learn more from failures than successes (Kevin Costner, Dances with Wolves..😉)

When possible avoid purchasing your gear, primarily cameras and lenses on line. Instead purchase from a local camera dealer when possible. Most local camera dealers will have a wealth of knowledge and experience that they are more than willing to share. Sometime in the near future you will have questions or problems that more than likely that dealer will assist you in resolving your problem. What you don’t want to do is go to a local dealer spend 2-3 maybe 4 hours with him asking questions only to go on line and buy. The only savings is going to be sales tax if even that. Just my opinion / recommendation for the photographer just starting out and learning

Back