What are the best rechargeable AA and AAA batteries to use?

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Ivan Rothman

Supporting Member
Marketplace
What are the best brands and type of AA and AAA rechargeable batteries to use.
And the best battery charger
I appreciate having a higher capacity battery and a battery that holds it charge in storage over a reasonable time period.
I assume the NiMH are better than NiCaDs.

I prefer Imedion (PowerEX) rechargables, have used them for many years and the first ones I bought are still going strong. I use them in my camera traps both commercial and homebrewed, the cameras use AAs and the control boards in the homebrews take AAAs. I used an Imedion 8-battery charger until it had a short and partially melted (it was internal, not associated with the batteries); it's replacement quit after a couple of weeks -- it would show the batteries as charged but they weren't. I also had an Eneloop charger that didn't last long. Now I'm using a cheap Energizer charger, it's OK.

I much prefer the NiMH batteries made in Japan to the Chinese made. I've been told that all Japanese-made NiMH batteries are manufactured in the same facility, but I can't confirm that.

Last edited:
If you really want to go down the rabbit hole, there are Eneloops with black tops and some with white tops. And I think that some are made in Japan and others elsewhere. But I suspect that almost all Eneloops are better than unknown brands. And do check the power ratings as some have more power and others have longer charge life (by design). There used to be some useful sources about all of the Eneloops on a web page, but it has been a few years since I have looked at it.

Good luck,

--Ken

What are the best brands and type of AA and AAA rechargeable batteries to use.
And the best battery charger
I appreciate having a higher capacity battery and a battery that holds it charge in storage over a reasonable time period.
I assume the NiMH are better than NiCaDs.
I have been using Powerex rechargable batteries. Can not say they are the best but they are very solid. Recharge 50-100 batteries a year and in a typical year, I find one or two fail and will not hold a charge (after 3-5 years)

My preferred charge at home is the Powerex MH-C9000. Here is an updated version - xhttps://mahaenergy.com/mh-c9000pro/

Each battery is independent unlike many other charges where the batteries are charged in pairs.

I also use Eneloop batteries. As for capacity, larger isn't necessarily better.

Higher capacity means you can charge them less often compared to the lower capacity. The black Eneloops are great for a flash, the more power, the quicker it can recharge the flash. The blacks ones have a projected lifetime of 500 charges, but the lower capacity Eneloops can be charged over 1000 times.

A trail cam for example doesn't need the higher capacity, so you will be better and cheaper off with the white Eneloops for that.

The white Eneloop batteries "Made in Japan" as there are also "Made in China" white Eneloops out there.
The black Eneloops can't be recharged as often as the white ones and than you have the blue ones that are mainly used for things with a very low consumption such as remote controles, DECT phones, ...

Thank you everyone.
It's clear that the two favorite choices are Eneloop and Powerex. The Powerex Pro batteries are close to half the price of the Eneloop Pro batteries so I plan and ordering the Powerex

I remember the good ol' days of Alkaline's, then came NiCad which offered rechargeability but not much longevity and lower voltage. Then Energizer came out with their lithium AA's which I thought were a godsend for on camera flash but expensive, then came NiMh which had promise and a lot more longevity than NiCad but would lose their charge if sitting dormant and their ability to quickly recharge a flash wasn't the best so the Energizer lithium's were still in the camera bag for serious shoots. Over time the formula for NiMh improved and capacities increased and then Eneloop was one of the first to offer low self-discharge and high recharge cycle. I then thought I found a diamond in the rough with NiZn (Nickel Zinc) technology offering 1.6v and extremely fast recharge; however, they don't last as long as a good NiMh but they powered up my flash's blazing fast, but after a few years the batteries and the charger died and it seemed the technology never took off likely because of the onset of our reigning DC champion Lithium Ion. Only issue is Li-Ion doesn't come in AA size, well, that is until recently. Li-Ion promises the same voltage and fast charge (of devices) as the tradition Lithium battery but with the ability to re-charge over and over. None of the top brand manufacturers have put their name on any Li-Ion AA batteries as of yet so the bulk seems to come from Chinese off brands, I bought some Fenix branded versions by they are a bit pricey and I'm not sure if they really give an advantage though I have not full tested them as of yet.

One caveat to all this, for years I was a diehard Powerex fan until one day, within a few months of my warranty expiring on my Powerex charger it died, just wouldn't charge anything anymore, I spoke with Powerex customer service and was polite in asking if they could do anything to help me out given that I did not abuse the product and they politely told me to pound sound, so I did the next best thing in a capitalist society - I threw away their defective product and bought a La Crosse charger in its place which has lasted me over 6 years now. That being said, Powerex does make good products with typically high QC so I still recommend them even though I did not have a stellar experience with their CS.

Today I buy Eneloop batteries for general use, I buy Eneloop Pro for anything needing fast charge (like a flash). I will likely try some Powerex low-self discharge batteries again at some point in the future. I should also note that I have bought a number of "cheap" Chinese branded NiMh because, well, they were cheap; however, most of these bite the dust pretty quick while my Eneloop's keep on going strong. I have had bad batteries with all the brands I buy, it's just something you have to deal with from time to time.

My last point, keep a close eye on specs, batteries like Powerex Pro and others that offer super high mAh are often not low self-discharge which means they start losing their charge pretty quick after pulling them out of the charger. I like to charge up a bunch of batteries and keep them around for when needed as I often forget to charge ones right before a shoot, YMMV.

One little tip. Mark your batteries.

As the Eneloops whites for example all look the same, when I buy some, I mark them. Typically with a sharpie, marking one or more rings all around them. This way, I can charge similar aged batteries together and there is a more even wear. Little risk of putting three old batteries together with one new one, where the new one may get to do most of the work and wear out quicker.
Especially handy as I have slightly different capacities as Eneloop changed their batteries over time.

I do not know if it makes a massive difference, but thought it could not hurt to keep track of how old particular sets are.

NiCad had their day (about 20 years ago) but were replaced with rechargeable NiMh batteries. The ones that have worked by far the best with the fewest failures are the Powerex 2700 batteries. When I was photographing weddings the Powerex provided the voltage level needed for the speedlights for the longest period of time. With NiMh starting out at 1.2 volts a drop in voltage could result in erratic flash performance. The enlooop batteries have not proven to be reliable and have a shorter useful like than the Powerex ones.

One device that is critical for my use of all batteries is the ZTS pulse load tester. Just as one needs to place a load on a car battery to determine its health, the same applies to most batteries that are designed to produce their rated voltage for as long as possible. Once the voltage drops to a level that is too low for the electronics it stops working properly.

With the ZTS tester I can find batteries that appear to charge normally and yet when tested they are at 80% or less of full state of charge. Only 1 in a set of 4 AA batteries used in a device to cause problems. With the ZTS tester I find batteries that going to cause problems and avoid tossing out batteries that are OK.

I always use a sharpie to date (month and year) my rechargables, that way I know how long they last. What I don't keep track of is how many charge/discharge cycles each set has gone through -- just too much trouble for what benefit it would be.

There's no way I would recharge cheap Chinese made lithium batteries in the house, outside where there aren't any nearby combustible materials would be alright. All my OEM lithium batteries are recharged indoors, but only when we're at home and the fire extinguisher is mere feet away.

One little tip. Mark your batteries.

As the Eneloops whites for example all look the same, when I buy some, I mark them. Typically with a sharpie, marking one or more rings all around them. This way, I can charge similar aged batteries together and there is a more even wear. Little risk of putting three old batteries together with one new one, where the new one may get to do most of the work and wear out quicker.
Especially handy as I have slightly different capacities as Eneloop changed their batteries over time.

I do not know if it makes a massive difference, but thought it could not hurt to keep track of how old particular sets are.
I write the date of the first charge on the battery with a Sharpie.

I used 8-12 AA batteries with every wedding I photographed and had about a 50% charge failure with the enloop batteries. They would appear to charge fine in my Maha chargers but when tested with the ZTS pulse load battery tester they would be at 80% or less. When a charged battery tested at 80% or lower I would throw it away.

I was having problems with my Nikon speedlights at weddings and would replace all 4 AA batteries to keep on shooting. The batteries would all charge to 100% in the Maha charger and test OK in a standard battery tester but when I started using the ZTS test I would find batteries that showed as being at 40-80 percent of a new battery and all it took was one to seriously impact the performance of the electronics of the speedlight.

Calendar age is not important but how many times a battery has been recharged, i.e. charge cycles performed. With the ZTS tester if a battery charges to 100% when tested then I really do not care how old the battery is or how many charge cycles have been done. I found myself with a set of enloop or other rechargeable batteries and if one showed a problem with the ZTS tester then that one battery was trashed and I held onto and continued to use the remaining batteries. It might take batteries from 4 packs of four enloop batteries to get 8 that tested out at 100% after charging.

had about a 50% charge failure with the enloop batteries
Thats crazy! I've never had an issue with Eneloop and I've been using (not heavily mind you) since 2018. I broke my batteries out to check the model, it looks like I'm on 4th gen mostly (BK-3MCCA). I'm unsure of the product lines (i.e., pro vs consumer, etc.), I just purchased from B&H without giving it thought. Very curious as to the Eneloops you're using and having such bad luck with.

20231120_155412.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

Back