What are the best rechargeable AA and AAA batteries to use?

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Thats crazy! I've never had an issue with Eneloop and I've been using (not heavily mind you) since 2018. I broke my batteries out to check the model, it looks like I'm on 4th gen mostly (BK-3MCCA). I'm unsure of the product lines (i.e., pro vs consumer, etc.), I just purchased from B&H without giving it thought. Very curious as to the Eneloops you're using and having such bad luck with.

View attachment 74739
Correction, been using since 2020. This batch was from 2021.

A few years ago I was using my Speedlight daily. I initially used Energizers or Duracells, and the chargers which came bundled with them. On the whole, I found those options unsatisfactory. I switched to the Amazon basics NiMH batteries (made in Japan). They were a significant improvement. More importantly, I acquired an Opus BT-C2400 charger. With its Discharge/Refresh option, I have been able to salvage batteries which went unused for too long (I no longer use the flash daily). I was even able to rehabilitate a set of Energizers I had thought useless. It can take 12 hours plus to accomplish this, but it is worth it. All that said, I recently purchased some AAA Amazon batteries (made in Malaysia). On arrival, only four of the eight were fully charged. and, initially, I wasn't able to charge the others. Amazon sent a second package, and the same was true. Half were not fully charged. Eventually, by repeatedly discharging and recharging, I was able to salvage them. I have a suspicion that a charger with the Discharge/Refresh feature is more important than your choice of battery. All the brands others have mentioned come with excellent reputations.

Last edited:
Eneloop, that's my 2 cents. Full stop.

I use about 30+ of these in format AA and AAA for years now and never had any issue, with the oldest ones get close to 9 years now. For me they are very reliable and durable.
Of course, Panasonic can't cheat physics, but to me they seem more tolerant regarding low temperatures. My older outdoor GPS (Garmin GPSmap60x) only survives a full day outside with temperatures well below 0 °C if I have Eneloops in it. With all others I tried I had to put in another set in well before getting back home.

I agree with the Eneloop black as one of the best if not the best but tell me if I the only one to notice this. If you need power quickly and repeatedly use the rechargeables. However, it seems that storage for even a couple of days reduces the charge enough that my nikkor 700 speedlights won't recognize them to function. Then I have to top them off to use. It is as though there has to be a specific power level to activate the speedlight. Once done they work great together.

If you are not using multiple flash units on a regular basis then any rechargeable battery will work. I was using three 4-battery sets with every wedding and it was critical that they functioned properly or they would not power the speedlights electronics.

Failure is not an option when working as a paid photographer at a wedding where retakes are not an option. If my speedlight fails while taking pictures of a hummingbird it is not a big deal and I can return the next day with little difficulty. For occasional shooting around my home I often will grab four alkaline batteries as there is no real need for rechargeable ones and I get 1.5 volts per battery.

Big difference in starting with 6 volts for the flash electronics than starting at 4.8 volts. At a certain point the electronics fail to work properly. The capacitors may charge slower but it is the electronics that control the output which need a minimum voltage level.

With both Nikon and Canon I would use the Nikon 8-battery pack or the Canon 1-battery pack to power speedlights. With the higher voltage they provide the recycle times were reduced by more than half and I could shoot a sequence of 4-6 shots using flash for fill which would not have been possible with the use of only the speedlights' internal AA batteries.

Last edited:
Yup, good argument !
Unfortunately many manufacturer's do a really bad job if it comes to battery diagnostics. Sometimes you could even think they collaborate with the Alkaline producers. In most cases the electronics can work with smaller voltage, but some thresholds are set in a way that sometimes equipment stops working before it really would be necessary for technical reasons. For example, with older Garmin outdoor GPS you were able to choose in the setup, which kind of battery / rechargeable you want to use, and the device treated them accodgingly, alllowing you to use it with all types without any problem. Why things like this are "out of fashion" these days, where sustainability is king, I don't know.

I have used Eneloops for several years with no problems. I have some Amazon hi cap batteries that work well, plus 4 no name rechargeable NiMhs I got from somewhere that do well, also. I go with Eneloop, though. (standards, I guess...blue and white.) I don't use them heavily, but like when I was using non-rechargeables from Costco, I always have a spare pack in my bag.

Another vote for the black Enloops. A few weeks ago I did my own test using a Godox 685 II flash comparing the Back Enloops to several other branded AA's (all mentioned in earlier posts) and the Enloops were the clear winners. Additionally, the Enloops I have are several years old and the others were all new (cycled several times before the test).

Back