What are these?

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Hello. I just bought a Hejnar tripod foot for my Nikon PF VR 500mm.
I installed it and just saw those white spots on the surface :(.
I think it's a pitting corrosion. White spots (the area is a small dent) on the surface.
Is it serious or am i freaking out without reason?

Edit: I am overreacting. There are probably some minor manufacturing faults. Nothing serious.
It would take a lot of time for it to corrode. I am now relieved.
Thanks for your suggestions.

IMG_20221117_183555.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

IMG_20221117_183805.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

Last edited:
I won't say you're overreacting or not. I will say that I agree with Wes. It's going to get more marked up than that just from going in and out of the tripod and carrying around. Most of the paint has long ago rubbed off the edges of my tripod foot (as well as the corners of my D500 camera body). It happens with use.
I don't think it is corrosion. I'm pretty sure these are machined aluminum and, although aluminum can have corrosion over time, it's not likely it would do so that quickly without being exposed to some caustic type substance.
If it were mine I would use it until I wore the black off of it and then use it some more. However, I'm not you and only you can make the decision on what to do next.

I think most if not all products made by Hejnar, Kirk, RRS are anodized not painted. What you're seeing could be anodizing defects. Contact Hejnar. I'm sure he'll send you a replacement.
Indeed it is anodized. Will be there a problem if i keep the foot?
In order to send the defective foot and get another one for a long time.
I waited 1 month for the foot to arrive to Europe.

Last edited:
I think it's a pitting corrosion. White spots (the area is a small dent) on the surface.

Edit: I am overreacting. There are probably some minor manufacturing faults. Nothing serious.

View attachment 49417

View attachment 49420
Email him to relieve your fears. He is very responsive. Back in 2020, I actually purchased a foot for my 500 pf before I received the lens. Four months later the lens came in and when I attempted to put the foot on, the tolerances were such that I couldn’t get it on. I emailed him and he sent me another with a mailing label so that i could send back the original, no questions asked.

@Mr. Meows, I don't believe it will affect the structural integrity of the foot at all. I would not be put off by it (However, Hejnar's QC should have caught it!) As @aolander says, it is a void in the anodized coating. In fact I bought a new Wimberely II gimbal head direct from the factory at a goodly discount due to a very small void in the powder coat finish. 100% factory warranty applies, no question asked. 'Twas only cosmetic. As others here have stated, you will give it more character with use over the years.

Looks harmless but he’s awesome to deal with if you wanted to return it and ask for another. To your point though, Europe is probably a long wait. I’m fortunate to live about 29 minutes from his shop.

@Mr. Meows, I don't believe it will affect the structural integrity of the foot at all. I would not be put off by it (However, Hejnar's QC should have caught it!) As @aolander says, it is a void in the anodized coating. In fact I bought a new Wimberely II gimbal head direct from the factory at a goodly discount due to a very small void in the powder coat finish. 100% factory warranty applies, no question asked. 'Twas only cosmetic. As others here have stated, you will give it more character with use over the years.
Thanks for the info. Yeah, i don't think it will affect the structural integrity of the foot. That was my main worry.

Looks harmless but he’s awesome to deal with if you wanted to return it and ask for another. To your point though, Europe is probably a long wait. I’m fortunate to live about 29 minutes from his shop.
I will keep it. I already waited for 1 month. I don't think some minor voids in the anodized coating will cause structural problems.

over time the anodizing will wear off on the high points (corners etc.) and wear points like if you carry the camera on any kind of carrier like a cotton carrier or a peak design thing where it rubs against the carrier as you walk it wears too. I have a couple of the foot and base plates (not from the same maker) that are anodized and I said paint but I couldn't think of the exact word..

If you are concerned about it, and you have every right to be questioning since these are not inexpensive, I'd send the photos to the maker and ask him what he thinks. Seems from comments here and on other discussion threads he is a pretty decent fellow.
Jeff

over time the anodizing will wear off on the high points (corners etc.) and wear points like if you carry the camera on any kind of carrier like a cotton carrier or a peak design thing where it rubs against the carrier as you walk it wears too. I have a couple of the foot and base plates (not from the same maker) that are anodized and I said paint but I couldn't think of the exact word..

If you are concerned about it, and you have every right to be questioning since these are not inexpensive, I'd send the photos to the maker and ask him what he thinks. Seems from comments here and on other discussion threads he is a pretty decent fellow.
Jeff
As long as it doesn't fall off, it's fine (hoping so).
I am just disappointed for buying something new and it arrived with defects.
I have contracted the maker and told him what is going on.

I bought the foot through Ebay from him.

So he responded me:
"This looks like damage from draping item not void in Anadizing
Anodizing hold parts usually on a thread or inside a holes
What I can see is damage on a corner. Probably somebody in transport drop a package.
We can exchange parts if you wish."

I don't know what to believe.

I bought the foot through Ebay from him.

So he responded me:
"This looks like damage from draping item not void in Anadizing
Anodizing hold parts usually on a thread or inside a holes
What I can see is damage on a corner. Probably somebody in transport drop a package.
We can exchange parts if you wish."

I don't know what to believe.
I can understand the disappointment. As far as what to believe, since the maker offered an exchange, I think I'd tend to listen to him. If he said it was some damage in shipment, then I would think he has seen a whole lot more of these than any of us have and would lean toward listening to him. It would be a nice touch if he allowed you to use this one until the replacement comes in. Given all the people trying to scam these days I could surely understand if he did not want to do that.

If what you're seeing is not interfering with the operation of the foot, it's probably not a big deal. However, I do understand completely that is easy to say when it is not my money on the line. You are the person who purchased it and it may be best to work something out with the maker to arrange for some kind of exchange. No need to hold onto something you're unhappy with.

Jeff

I can understand the disappointment. As far as what to believe, since the maker offered an exchange, I think I'd tend to listen to him. If he said it was some damage in shipment, then I would think he has seen a whole lot more of these than any of us have and would lean toward listening to him. It would be a nice touch if he allowed you to use this one until the replacement comes in. Given all the people trying to scam these days I could surely understand if he did not want to do that.

If what you're seeing is not interfering with the operation of the foot, it's probably not a big deal. However, I do understand completely that is easy to say when it is not my money on the line. You are the person who purchased it and it may be best to work something out with the maker to arrange for some kind of exchange. No need to hold onto something you're unhappy with.

Jeff
He send me another message that might be an anodizing issue.

"I see you are not in US so exchange is not that easy
Global shipping charge you for import duty shipping etc and they are responsible for international delivery .
That mark by stop screw may be anodizing issue since it not on a coroner.
Let me know what is you preferences regarding exchange"

Asked him if there will be any problems in the structural integrity of the foot.

Last edited:
Responded about anodizing:

"Anadizing does nothing to foot integrity. Anadizing changing aluminum color ( it can be black , red , green and few other colors )
It also harden surface just a bit . It does not do anything else . Once you start using it you will see marks where you engage foot in a clamp
It surface can skrech and you will see aluminum color under black . It’s mostly ecstatic until you start using it
If you worry about integrity even small bumps will not effect foot."

Ok. If it doesn't affect the integrity of the foot, some cosmetic effects don't matter for me. All good.

Last edited:
Reactions: DsD

View attachment 49417

View attachment 49420
I wish some of my tripod feet were in such good condition ... 🦘

Back