What are your favorite short prime lenses?

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

I like my primes but gee whiz if its a challenge and very critical to take advantage of any opportunity, or you cant fail to get the shot, the ever reliable just get it done workhorse 24-70 F2.8 G saves the day every time.

Below
I woke up one morning and saw this opportunity emerging, no time to think as the light was changing, i just grabbed tripod with the 24-70 F2.8 G on my D3X at the time, i just knew confidently it would get the job done no matter what, time was of the essence. Bare feet, no shirt only shorts i ran out the door on the sand and rocks.

The wave wash would fill what looked like a hole so i would wait for a second or so for the water to be draining creating the fall look, then shoot,
took 2 frames went back to bed.

Normally it would be deciding on which lens, then setting up filters, then researching and over thinking.............tail wagging the dog LOL.

The point being the 24-70 F2.8 simply removed a decision process, gave me options to fit into what ever space was needed, that is a versatile tool, i was committed in just hitting the shutter, how refreshing.

While the pixel peepers and technical experts would tear this image apart pointing out to much CA etc etc and all sorts of other points, hey it hangs on the wall proudly, it also won several competitions to my surprise.

Overall the point being the 24-70 F2.8 gave me a safe range of options which was awesome. Editing could bring out more or different outcomes.

There just tools its how well the craftsman uses them to their potential.

Only an opinion

View attachment 77999
Very nice image! It's hard to beat a good 24-70

I've started doing pet photography shoots as a side business and to that end picked up a Viltrox 16mm 1.8 and man I'm really digging that lens. It's fast, renders beautifully, grabs the eyes really well and the price was right. Reviewers have compared it favorably to the 16GM. I've also been using it for landscapes and people. A real sleeper gem.

But my favorite short prime is the 50 Summicron (f2.0) I use on my Leica SL2-s. I love shooting wildlife but the kind of shooting that REALLY stirs me is atmospheric landscapes and (while it's a fantastic portrait lens) it excels in that area. Like I feel genuine love for it. And the kicker is that while the lens tends to be quite expensive I got a used one with a nick in the focus ring for $675.

*Edit* As an addendum I'm also loving the Sigma 40 Art on the Sony gear.

Last edited:
I've started doing pet photography shoots as a side business and to that end picked up a Viltrox 16mm 1.8 and man I'm really digging that lens. It's fast, renders beautifully, grabs the eyes really well and the price was right. Reviewers have compared it favorably to the 16GM. I've also been using it for landscapes and people. A real sleeper gem.

But my favorite short prime is the 50 Summicron (f2.0) I use on my Leica SL2-s. I love shooting wildlife but the kind of shooting that REALLY stirs me is atmospheric landscapes and (while it's a fantastic portrait lens) it excels in that area. Like I feel genuine love for it. And the kicker is that while the lens tends to be quite expensive I got a used one with a nick in the focus ring for $675.

*Edit* As an addendum I'm also loving the Sigma 40 Art on the Sony gear.
That sounds like a great lens. Pet photos are fun IMO

Back