What Digital cameras can't do, The mind can!

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

I use the colorchecker because I like to see the accurate color to start, even if I mess with parts of the image. One doesn't run the colorchecker every time because once you have a profile set up for each lens and camera combo in sunny, bright overcast, and cloudy that is plenty for me, no need to redo every time.

I use the colorchecker because I like to see the accurate color to start, even if I mess with parts of the image. One doesn't run the colorchecker every time because once you have a profile set up for each lens and camera combo in sunny, bright overcast, and cloudy that is plenty for me, no need to redo every time.

That's what I do too, although being a bit colour blind I rarely mess with colours. My stock profiles cover 99% of what I shoot. I think that I do have too many though. Full Sun, weak Sun, cloudy bright, grey day and overcast for the seasons, plus the same for window light.

To each his/her own. Whether you choose to do this challenge publicly in a forum like this, in your camera club, or on your own, I think you will find it useful in improving your field- craft, regardless of whether or not you do this all of the time. I have read many professional and successful wildlife photographer's blogs where they claim they do very little (and in some cases no) post processing of their images. Others choose to do major work on their images. Often times, while out in the field I will set my camera at single shot even though I can shoot up to 200 frames per second. Its kind of like an old school hunter who loads only one round into the chamber. You get one shot. The same goes for your internal camera settings. Its amazing how this challenge, discipline, and practice has improved my wildlife photography when I do use all of the "tools" available on my mirrorless camera. Don't be deterred by the naysayers. After all, isn't seeing improvement much of the journey here?
Underlying message here…. at least for me @76… What’s the MOST important thing in this endeavor, be it a profession or hobby? Certainly to have confidence in your knowledge, skill set and vision. Then to bring them together at the same time to produce the image you envisioned. The less time I sit in front of a computer the better for my quality of life. “TIME” is my most valued commodity… I will not agonize over minutia in images that require time with advanced editing programs. Everyone sees this differently…. so don’t jump my 🫏 for this…

I enjoy the challenges of modern photography tools. With all the engineered technology in the latest mirrorless models I should produce images that reflect my skill level. I certainly strive to get better…. straight out of the camera…if possible . But, the less time I sit in front of a computer….the more time I can spend outdoors with my cameras …….📷 …and enjoying nature.

Last edited:
Back