What got you started in nature & wildlife photography?

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

I grew up with nature and picked up photography from my mother, but it's mainly a record for me. I always try to take the best shot but I'm less into wall hangers than recording behavior and grabbing UFOs (feathers only) for later id or getting leg rings noted. Also I find you can observe a lot more detail with the new equipment on screen than in the field with binocs. That said it's great to record a feeling but I get it right so seldom it's probably just luck. I'm definitely nature first and the camera is a tool to help understand what's going on.

I got into wildlife photography in a more trivial way:

I was out in a park one day with my Nikon D40x and my 55-200mm and noticed how tits were coming to whoever fed them walnuts. That made them easy to photograph and the shots were quite interesting and got a lot of appreciation from others so down the rabbit hole I went :D.

And even to this day I still go out every now and then and shoot tits while feeding them walnuts ;).

I'm 38 and probably on the younger side of most here. I used to use my dads Nikon FE2 for Motorsport events back in 2004-2006, and also used it to take random photos around the house (I was living with my parents at the time). He then bought a Nikon D40 which I again used at Motorsport events and randomly around home. A few years later he upgraded to a D300, then sent it to me in 2017 when he upgraded to the D7200. My wife and I had moved out of state to western PA at that point. I used the D300 for Motorsports, but at the same time I noticed Red-tailed Hawks and Turkey Vultures swirling around outside my window - my wife and I live on the top floor of a high rise overlooking a valley below. I began photographing the raptors from my porch with an old 80-200 F/4.5 AI lens which was quite challenging, though my panning/tracking skills from shooting Motorsports helped! A little over 2 years ago I bought a Tamron 70-300 and kept photographing the raptors, but then I started to venture outside to shoot birds on the ground. After several lens upgrades and a body upgrade, here I am! I spent a lot of time photographing birds last year with all the free time I had due to the pandemic, and have learned a lot in the process. I'm now at the point where I know what I'm going to shoot, and where I'm going to shoot it. I just love being outside in nature, taking in my surroundings, enjoying the peace/quiet, and patiently waiting for wildlife to show up. I also love challenging myself to bring my skills up to the next level.

Last edited:
Back