What happened to Canon cameras?

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Rodamu

Supporting Member
Marketplace
This forum seems centered on Nikon and Sony cameras and lenses. Are there no Canon users here? I don't read photo magazines or check general camera reviews but I assume Canon is still making cameras and lenses as good as Nikon and Sony. Am I wrong? Or has this forum narrowed it focus to just two brands?

Canon has great lenses. Their bodies lagged for a long time, but the R5 and the R3 are, I understand, very good bodies. I think Canon will jump back into first place if they come out with an R1 body, but Sony will likely have a new flagship body by then as well.

I shoot Canon and probably always will. There are a few of us here but mostly every topic here is usually brought around to a Nikon shooters perspective. I like the friendly folks here though and the way the forum is moderated to keep out politics and religion and flaming. So I participate in Nikon discussions because there is always something to be learned about photography in general.

This forum seems centered on Nikon and Sony cameras and lenses. Are there no Canon users here? I don't read photo magazines or check general camera reviews but I assume Canon is still making cameras and lenses as good as Nikon and Sony. Am I wrong? Or has this forum narrowed it focus to just two brands?

Most of us here because of @Steve when he was shooting exclusively Nikon due to his Nikon books. As a reflection of market dynamics, he is now shooting Sony, as are many former Nikon shooters.

You wouldn't know Canon continues to dominate camera sales and is close 2nd in MILCs and very soon 1st if you just followed this forum.

I do think thread starters could make an effort to be more inclusive. For example instead of z9 noise it could be just noise in general.

Most of us here because of @Steve when he was shooting exclusively Nikon due to his Nikon books. As a reflection of market dynamics, he is now shooting Sony, as are many former Nikon shooters.

You wouldn't know Canon continues to dominate camera sales and is close 2nd in MILCs and very soon 1st if you just followed this forum.
Actually - I believe Steve shoots Nikon, Sony and Canon...... and seems realistic about the pro's and con's of the various systems.

I shoot Canon and probably always will. There are a few of us here but mostly every topic here is usually brought around to a Nikon shooters perspective. I like the friendly folks here though and the way the forum is moderated to keep out politics and religion and flaming. So I participate in Nikon discussions because there is always something to be learned about photography in general.
Photography is photography. Unless the topic is camera specific you should be able to join the discuss and I would most certainly welcome your perspective. Plus I would like to see some canon-specific discussions.

Actually - I believe Steve shoots Nikon, Sony and Canon...... and seems realistic about the pro's and con's of the various systems.
You missed my point. Most of us are here because of his vids and books which used to be geared towards Nikon. If he had written the definitive book on Canon AF, there would be more Canon shooters here. Not passing judgment on a brand, I use them all.

I actually get a lot of value from a deeper understanding of how different systems handle a similar issue. For example, sometimes there are subject specific focus issues, and hearing about how a different system user handles the issue can be useful. One of my main settings for a Function button was from a Sony users who suggested setting a programmable button to Zoom to 100%. I use that button before taking the shot more than for chimping.

Actually, we decided to give up on Canon this week. Not for any failing on Canon's part, but on mine. I thought I could manage all three systems, but between Nikon and Sony there's just not enough time for anything else. One or the other always has something new and it's tough to keep up as it is. Trying to get Canon in the mix was just adding stress. A little sad to see that stuff go though, just not enough time for everything.

I do think thread starters could make an effort to be more inclusive. For example instead of z9 noise it could be just noise in general.
Bill, I somewhat disagree with your assessment, since many issues brought up here are specific to a camera or maker. However, if a topic is general one, it would warrant a general thread. Perhaps the Canon shooters should start more threads that are specific to Canon products?

I think people should start more threads discussing photography and less about gear. Of any brand. But wishes rarely come true.
Dan, I'll bet this wish never comes true, in any venue. I don't recall ever being around any casual conversation where the issue of equipment didn't come up. Going back to my early film days, it seems it was always injected into any converstion about photography. My choice of equipment has often been denigrated by users of other manufacturer's products. I just ignore it, and if it's bad enough, I avoid the source afterwards. I also avoid the same behavior towards others.

Canon has great lenses. Their bodies lagged for a long time, but the R5 and the R3 are, I understand, very good bodies. I think Canon will jump back into first place if they come out with an R1 body, but Sony will likely have a new flagship body by then as well.
What are you talking about. They are the biggest camera seller in the world, by far, and are rapidly gaining against Sony in MILCs. And this is before the R3, let alone the R1 are available to take on the A1.

Actually, we decided to give up on Canon this week. Not for any failing on Canon's part, but on mine. I thought I could manage all three systems, but between Nikon and Sony there's just not enough time for anything else. One or the other always has something new and it's tough to keep up as it is. Trying to get Canon in the mix was just adding stress. A little sad to see that stuff go though, just not enough time for everything.

Now that raises the most important question of them all.

Since Rose was shooting the Canon R5, which system is she moving to?

What are you talking about. They are the biggest camera seller in the world, by far, and are rapidly gaining against Sony in MILCs. And this is before the R3, let alone the R1 are available to take on the A1.

The R1 is rumored to be around $8000. Not gonna be for me. I'm waiting for the R relacement, hopefully around $2500, full frame, 30ish megapixels, 10ish fps. The r5 around $4000 is also tempting.

The R1 is rumored to be around $8000. Not gonna be for me. I'm waiting for the R relacement, hopefully around $2500, full frame, 30ish megapixels, 10ish fps. The r5 around $4000 is also tempting.
It's coming. No one has more new bodies and lenses coming out. They'll replace every single DSLR with a MILC in the next 18 months.

I rented the R5, thought it was incredible but the ergos didn't work for me. The files were superb.

Back