What happened to Canon cameras?

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

I'm happy to discuss Canon stuff. I shot Canon since I started photography in 2009 all the way through to when I sold off my last big Canon lens in 2019 (400DOII). I actually still use my Canon 16-35/4, 24-70/4, 100L and 40 pancake adapted to my Sony bodies.

On top of that I bought back into Canon for 6 months with the R5/100-500 and used 400DOII, 600III adapted on the R5 a few times.
I'm also going to have an R3 and RF600/4 for 3 days to test out Apr 1-3 so looking forward to seeing how Canon has improved upon the R5.

Reactions: Hut
You missed my point. Most of us are here because of his vids and books which used to be geared towards Nikon. If he had written the definitive book on Canon AF, there would be more Canon shooters here. Not passing judgment on a brand, I use them all.

Absolutely. As I recall, this Forum developed - partly at least - from the informative Comments sections under Steve's blog posts etc. And many of us also owned the e-books, couched in Nikon. As we quip in Africa, this was "back before the Rinderpest", or rather BC era - Before-Covid. Here're 2 examples among many

(Note - it's well worth going back through the list as much of value therein in these 'Older Posts')

I'm here. Switched from Nikon last summer to an R5 and 100-500mm. I spent a decade talking gear with the Nikon. I'm here for the photography, not camera talk - though I'm happy to do so when someone asks a question. Truth is, though, when I hit the Latest Posts button at least 50% of the posts are Nikon specific, so I can see why some Canon shooters might pop in and not stick around. Particularly when you can look at most threads with Canon in the title and find a post or three where a Nikon shooter is telling you what they do with their system. If I need to talk cameras I'll do it on a Canon-specific forum.

In the past it was easy to offer technical/technique advice irrespective of which brand someone was using. In recent times AF has become a big factor in wildlife photography. Since each brand has its own recipe for AF and with a mix of DSLR/MILC in play it has become harder to offer advice to others unless they shoot the same brand and tech(i.e. DSLR/MILC). Add to that the propensity for discussing gear as much/more than photography and it is only natural that photo forums migrate towards a particular brand. Either that or host brand specific sub-forums for the gear talk and separate sub-forums for posting/discussing photography. I'm a member of another site that does so quite successfully and it's really nice to be able to view/comment on photos without brandism entering the discussion. I also participate in another site that is/was brand specific but has a well enough established community with shared respect that as people have switched to other brands they've continued to participate.

In the past it was easy to offer technical/technique advice irrespective of which brand someone was using. In recent times AF has become a big factor in wildlife photography. Since each brand has its own recipe for AF and with a mix of DSLR/MILC in play it has become harder to offer advice to others unless they shoot the same brand and tech(i.e. DSLR/MILC). Add to that the propensity for discussing gear as much/more than photography and it is only natural that photo forums migrate towards a particular brand. Either that or host brand specific sub-forums for the gear talk and separate sub-forums for posting/discussing photography. I'm a member of another site that does so quite successfully and it's really nice to be able to view/comment on photos without brandism entering the discussion. I also participate in another site that is/was brand specific but has a well enough established community with shared respect that as people have switched to other brands they've continued to participate.
Let me add, not only the same technology but also the same camera. Z 7 and Z 9 have vastly different AF systems. Not sure about the R3 vs R5 or the sony systems.

The other big factor catalysing gear discussions is the technology shift that's playing out in almost all camera systems. Two decades on from the DSLR revolution usurping film, we are again living in interesting times. It wasn't that long ago when most CaNikon shooters were engrossed in optimizing the menus and AF etc in their DSLRs, and saving for the top end telephotos. And forums discussed these topics avidly.... Similar costs and challenges continue to drive primary interests in photo gear - especially with wildlife genres with higher costs of high end products.

Yes, so latterly we wildlife photographers are challenged with Mirrorless growing up very fast...... Above all else, the new Mirrorless systems are driving a gear centrism: invariably sooner than later when two dedicated photographers meet up...let alone these forums. (And for the camera companies, this new tech is providing unanticipated sales of optics especially as they build up their systems on an entirely new mount.....CaNikon now bank on selling new glass as well to the new camera owner - previously it was more about marketing to Upgraders/Beginners.)

So there's not only all the new and anticipated/hoped for lenses to learn about and debate etc, but equally the classic EF and F lenses to decide on buying Used (or selling onward). This is besides the relentless debates and guesses at new/rumoured cameras, which have been dominating all forums for the past few years. And many Nikon owners are still interested in DSLR systems (not qualified to speak for Canon on this...)... For what is the future of DSLR tech for those locked into, and even holding out for a D880 etc? These subjects are parallel the interests and challenges with the new Mirrorless AF systems (continuing to evolve fast)

I switched to Canon. I am very happy with it. I read everything that Steve wrote and all the videos. Most info I still use for the canon. I wish Steve would put out some vids for canon but I guess it wont happen. I dont have a lot of time right now to post because life gets in the way (grandkids). I do read some when I can. I do miss my Nikon. BTW when I go out to shoot Steves name always comes up, In a good way.

Actually, we decided to give up on Canon this week. Not for any failing on Canon's part, but on mine. I thought I could manage all three systems, but between Nikon and Sony there's just not enough time for anything else. One or the other always has something new and it's tough to keep up as it is. Trying to get Canon in the mix was just adding stress. A little sad to see that stuff go though, just not enough time for everything.
I can imagine, I bet your brain was a little bit on overload trying to keep up with 3 different systems. At my age I know I couldn't do it.

This forum seems centered on Nikon and Sony cameras and lenses. Are there no Canon users here? I don't read photo magazines or check general camera reviews but I assume Canon is still making cameras and lenses as good as Nikon and Sony. Am I wrong? Or has this forum narrowed it focus to just two brands?
I personally would love to see more discussion on Canon gear just to get an idea of how they work. A lot of pros shoot with Canon.

Back