What happened to the 300mm?

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

The 500mm prime lens can be added to the 300mm as being absent in all of the mirrorless systems, incl. their road maps.
I guess the Japanese lens designers really dislike uneven numbers nowadays?

I think the 500mm is a bad miss, certainly because mirrorless systems work so well with TC's. The 500mm f4 lens is a relatively affordable and reasonably sized alternative to the 600mm f4, which I will get eventually, but don't really want mainly because of its size. A 500mm f4 with 1.4tc would give me a near ideal 700mm f5.6.

The 500mm prime lens can be added to the 300mm as being absent in all of the mirrorless systems, incl. their road maps.
I guess the Japanese lens designers really dislike uneven numbers nowadays?

I think the 500mm is a bad miss, certainly because mirrorless systems work so well with TC's. The 500mm f4 lens is a relatively affordable and reasonably sized alternative to the 600mm f4, which I will get eventually, but don't really want mainly because of its size. A 500mm f4 with 1.4tc would give me a near ideal 700mm f5.6.
The 600mm is big and heavy but much sharper than the 500mm with a TC...🦘

Even the ancient f4.5 Nikkor-P has some uses.🦘

As a teenager in 1971 I used a borrowed f/4.5 Nikkor-P for a week-long workshop in the Sierra Nevada resulting in one of my first national photo credits

ochpri00.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

This and a few other favorites made with the Nikkor-P resulted in the purchase some months later of a 300mm f/4.5 Nikkor-H which I used for about ten years.

Reactions: Roy
As a teenager in 1971 I used a borrowed f/4.5 Nikkor-P for a week-long workshop in the Sierra Nevada resulting in one of my first national photo credits

This and a few other favorites made with the Nikkor-P resulted in the purchase some months later of a 300mm f/4.5 Nikkor-H which I used for about ten years.
With dozens of 300mm lenses Nikon has never made a bad 300mm lens...🦘

I think the 300 PF is a great compact light lens that offers F4. But on it's own it is a bit too short for most wildlife.. and too long for portrait or landscape work. I think most of those selling the 300 PF either upgraded to the 500 PF (now that F glas works flawlessly with Z9) or switched to the more versatile 100-400 S.
Ever since I got my 500 PF, the 300 PF gets much less used (mainly used in low light or very long hikes).
The new 400 + TC ticks many checkboxes.. and the 100-400 or upcoming 800 PF cover the rest (view Wildlife).

For me, the 300 is still the best option for Butterfly / closeup photography and the occasional Landscape work (considering it is much sharper than the 70-200mm @ 200mm).

I'm hoping the 200-600mm Z lens will be better value than the 100-400.
Until then i'll struggle along with my ancient 600mm 200-400mm 200-500mm and 300mm f4 and 300mm f2.8 glass on the Z9 with FTZ.
Maybe the new 600 & 800 Z glass will surprise me...🦘

Back