What is on this Eagle's back?

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

I get that some are concerned about the use of this tech for wildlife (and domestic-life), but to me many of the intentions are well-directed, especially for such purposes as anti-poaching, illegal hunting and general conservation. At the same time, I try to minimize my own exposure to such tech and that includes no FB, Twitter/X, etc. etc. And, you’ll have to arrest me before you get an ankle band on me… good luck tracking me down for that (without looking at the EXIF in my fotos… haha) 🥸

They go nuts for that crap in the GYE. I've seen not just way too many wolves and grizzlies with collars but also bison, bighorns, foxes, coyotes, cow elk, deer...hell, I wouldn't be surprised if they tried to put a damned collar on ground squirrels.
IMG_1187.jpeg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

I'm pretty sure it's the same as this seen on an Ibis in Florida recently.
I've railed before about how invasive the tracking of wild animals is becoming. Seems there is no limit to how much the scientists are willing to ruin the lives of animals that they track. There comes a time when we have to say ENOUGH. We humans have the brains to find better ways to do this. All it takes is some thinking.

View attachment 84591
There is some validity to your assertions. Tracking animals with gadgets has been going on for decades. Birds that migrate were and are banded on one or both legs. These are more than likely smaller species like marsh birds or others on endangered watch lists. Scientists need to collect data related to their movements in order to ensure breeding areas are not destroyed or compromised to the detriment of the species. Infringements from commercial interests has become a real threat. How they recover a smaller bird to retrieve this data (id# on leg) is problematic in practice. I’ve seen huge badminton shaped nets erected to catch marsh sparrows, et al., and bands applied or data recovered from those with bands. As a “non-scientist“ this strikes me as a traumatizing event for the bird. But is a lot of this redundant and unnecessary? Point being, competing PhD students at different universities doing the same surveys to earn their degrees? Some institutions and universities are not keen on sharing data….. that is until they publish a ”white-paper” and get credit for the work.

The larger birds, such as eagles, get banded too (see below). Usually, hopefully, data can be gleaned from observations and photographs and not by attached devices. I noticed the bands on this one I photographed and sent it to W&M’s CCB. Eagles were suspected to be raiding osprey nests. They immediately identified the bird as one they banded as a fledgling.
_LCS4975.jpeg

_LCS4975.jpeg

I try to minimize my own exposure to such tech and that includes no FB, Twitter/X, etc. etc. And, you’ll have to arrest me before you get an ankle band on me… good luck tracking me down for that (without looking at the EXIF in my fotos… haha) 🥸
None of that social media garbage here either. It's bad enough we're on camera anyplace we go, and tracked by our phones.
And I agree, if they come for me, they best not come alone, lol.
Years ago I had a friend in the DEC that started the revival plan for Bald Eagles here in NY.
I liv e near a few lakes they winter at or near. I would send my friend the pics that revealed the numbers on the bands, and he would send back the history of the bird. Was pretty cool!
They had a program where they would tag the chicks in the nest to follow them around. Most here were from Canada and Alaska. Now we have quite a few local nesting pairs

Something is odd with this Eagle, seems skinny like its taking Ozempic.
Is that device an insulin monitor?
The bird doesn't look healty.
Probably really pissed-off! The other eagles likely make fun of him. Sorta like Iron Man with the glass gizmo except this one is on the back..”Iron Bird”

This is an intresting discussion -- one worth investigating. Regarding the eagle in the photo, perhaps contact the state Audubon Society for more info. Audubon Society organizations help fund such research and may be able to provide more information. Or, simply Google "Why use tracking devices on birds" -- there have been many studies done regarding the upside and downside of fitting birds with such devices. I just read a couple; they're interesting.

I'd like to see scientists required to wear a proportionately sized device on themselves if they attach items to wildlife. Want to band a bird, wear ankle cuffs. GPS tracker, glue one to your own back. Tracking collar - you wear one that doesn't come off until it rots off, personal hygiene be damned.

Ok, I'm being silly, but it seems to me that more often than not, science tends to destroy much of what it studies. Not entire species, but certainly individual animals. I have never seen small birds stressed by anything near as much as what happens at a banding station. In this day and age, we should be able to devise methods of study that cause no harm. Perhaps scientists need their own version of the Hippocratic oath.

A pretty boy poster child
Mal Paso’s pretty boy condor tells a story actually. The “15” placard, although annoying to the bird, requires someone with binoculars in the area doing field work and recording data. The solar panel, or whatever the heck that thing is on the eagle, lets the researcher sit in a lab somewhere (maybe 1000’s miles away) and watch a computer screen….. yeah, that takes work 😥….. Both of these species must have required special permits to conduct these surveys (don’t ya’ love surveys?).

The Condor has 2 Radios as well, one on each side. Note the antenna pointing down from the box above the number.

The number is partly advertising. You can go to the website and find out the bird's name and history.

Last edited:
Turns out that ATT was testing some ads using birds for their March Madness campaign, several of which escaped into the wild after a well-meaning employee ‘accidentally’ left a window open. They ultimately went with Jalen for the ad who just happened to be available for the final shoot that day…

It appears to be a tracking devise that measures the amount of sunlight, or length of daily sunlight. It has an internal clock. So with that data you can determine the Lat/long of the birds position. The devise is usually retrived, some of the larger ones can transmit. The eagle can easily handle the larger types.

Tom

Woody, you've made some valid points about this before, and now again. So I'll give you that.
As for what I wear, it's all voluntary. The animals don't have a choice, plus they don't understand the necessity of what we do to them. What I'm advocating for is to find less intrusive, unsightly ways of tracking animals. I'm hopeful that the appropriate tech already exists, someone needs to put on a thinking cap and adapt it to tracking animals.

On a side note - as for a tie, I loathe them. A piece of clothing for me has to serve a specific purpose and a tie does not, other than the aesthetic. Women's clothing fashion keeps evolving, but men have been stuck with the same formal wear for probably over 100 years now.
Very well said. Thank you!

They're not ruining the lives of the birds. As you can see from the photographs the eagle has a partner and BakingBeans said they're building a nest -- perfectly normal behavior. Many of these tracking units are glued to a feather and are lost when the bird molts, others are held on by a harness with a timed release, others are removed by recapturing the bird. Do you wear a watch, a wedding ring, a belt, a tie, any of them or perhaps all of them? Has your life been ruined by what you wear? Oh, and your cell phone is tracking you wherever you go.
I have to agree. I think we should be able to do our research or take our pictures without touching the birds. To your observation concerning how things I might wear could be a hinderance, I removed my wedding ring because I was an aircrewman on the Navy S2. A buddy of mine fell off the plane during preflight and his ring caught on a rivet. His finger was stripped of all but the bone. It happens. I could imagine a band or device could catch on a bird.

The initial question was answered immediately - it is obviously a tracking device. This has led to a larger discussion on the ethics of such devices in relation to animal welfare.

IN MY OPINION, there is no single answer for all species and circumstances, though I do think in some (many?) cases it is unjustifiable. I had a personal involvement with this issue when a bobcat study here in Tucson collared some very relaxed cats that some of us photographers followed regularly at a local wetlands. The male Graybeard (who is still around) became much more skittish and hard to photograph. The younger female Ocicat disappeared at the same time Graybeard was collared and presumed dead, though no one can say whether or not this was related (we suspect so). This was just over two years ago. The most relaxed female, Mama, was collared a year later when she had a juvenile kitten with her (even though the researchers claimed she did not). A month or so later she was found dead with a leg injury (likely from a car collision). We are convinced this was due to hindrance from the collar. She also had become more elusive around people - and this was a cat that would walk calmly within almost touching distance. In relation to body size and weight, the collars also seemed quite large and heavy.

There is more information on this petition that one of my fellow photographers started: https://www.change.org/p/free-the-bobcats-of-tucson

I believe the three year study just ended and the collars have fallen off. However I will point out that this study was not commissioned by Game and Fish but rather the researcher approached them and received permission. These are urban cats that are not endangered and do not need to be managed, which begs the question what will the results be used for? (Ignoring the fact that we know the cats' behavior changed after collaring which questions the validity of the results). IN MY OPINION the results will be notes in books and articles and have no practical use. Even some studies that are commissioned by Arizona Game and Fish have no practical benefit. For a firsthand account, read the afterward of Soul Among Lions by retired Game and Fish researcher Harley Shaw on his mountain lion study. The short afterward is a scathing (and I mean scathing) indictment of the ineptitude of Game and Fish beuracracy and the fact that by the time some studies are completed the results are no longer wanted or needed.

Back