What is the best gimbal head for a monopod?

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

In 2019, Steve Perry made an excellent video recommending the Wimberley MH-100 MonoGimbal head on a monopod. Has that recommendation changed? I looked for Steve's current gear list but did not find it.

I have a Gitzo GM3551 monopod with an RRS B2-LR-II lever release clamp that I want to use on long Nikon Z TC lenses that all have RRS replacement feet. Is the Wimberley MH-100 still the best choice for a monopod head? Thank you for any guidance. RDD

RRS tilt head has been the best I have tried to date. I actually bought the Wimberley twice and sold it both times. I found the mono gimbal extremely difficult to use in the field.

Reactions: RDD
I like most aspects of the Wimberley Sidekick gimbal head except that the lens foot needed to be out to the side of the lens and this affected balance. For this reason I chose the Sirui L-10 tilt head for monopods that enables me to have the lens dirctly over the monopod instead of off to one side. I use it with the 800mm PF and it works exceedingly well in every respect.

Sirui L-10 tilt head.JPG
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

I use the Wimberley MH-100 on my Sirui monopod. I use it primarily with my Z9 and 800PF. I’m fairly new to the monopod game and it’s a work in progress. But the Wimberley is a joy to use….very secure, stable, and easily controlled. Wouldn’t use anything else for how I shoot.

The Wimerley MH-100… is a joy to use: secure, stable, and easily controlled.
Agreed!

If there is a problem, it relates to attaching a heavy (aka expensive) lens. Always lay your monopod/gimbal on a safe surface (a photographer’s backpack should do).

Alternatively, lay the lens/camera down and ‘wave’ the collapsed monopod around whilst attaching!

Last edited:
I like most aspects of the Wimberley Sidekick gimbal head except that the lens foot needed to be out to the side of the lens and this affected balance. For this reason I chose the Sirui L-10 tilt head for monopods that enables me to have the lens dirctly over the monopod instead of off to one side. I use it with the 800mm PF and it works exceedingly well in every respect.

View attachment 97695
That’s the same design I use, but it’s an RRS model that I bought. I agree the mono gimbal balance is way off on a monopod.

Agree. I tried the RRS and Kirk monopod heads , and they just didn't provide the smooth transitions I needed on each axis. The wimberley feels very much like a full gimbal once your used to stabilizing the monopod itself. Oh , I did switch out my monopod foot for a "spiked" foot ...much more secure, keeps the monopod base exactly where I want it.

I use the Wimberley MH-100 on my Sirui monopod. I use it primarily with my Z9 and 800PF. I’m fairly new to the monopod game and it’s a work in progress. But the Wimberley is a joy to use….very secure, stable, and easily controlled. Wouldn’t use anything else for how I shoot.

I prefer the centre of gravity to act vertically using a conventional gimbal.
check out the light Jobu gimbals
Also

Jobu Jr 3. Smallest, lightest, smooth. I use a gripped A1/600GM without issue. I also have the larger Jobu HD4 but I find the Jr 3 to be all I need.

I dislike the MH-100 for larger lenses....pulls to the side, requiring constant counter balancing force all the time. For lighter lenses it can be a good solution. Mine collects dust in a bag somewhere.
I second the Jobu Jr 3. As a matter of fact due to its small size/weight it's the only gimbal I use now on both monopod and tripod. IMO the off-balance design of the MH-100 somewhat defeats the purpose of using a gimbal.

I have no issues with balancing the wimberley WH100 on my monopod. Matter of fact, I often forget that I'm not using a full gimbal head - it is confidence inspiring. For me it's nearly perfect , very fluid on all axis and most importantly, very securely attached.

For me the Jobu defeats the purpose of using a monopod, much too large. My goal was to be as light & compact as possible. The wimberley achieves that perfectly while offering a great experience.

I prefer the centre of gravity to act vertically using a conventional gimbal.
check out the light Jobu gimbals
Also

I bought the Wimberly WH100 a few weeks a go, after having my Arcitech v2 ball head, stolen from our vehicle. I haven't tried it out but it appears well made and practical.

Four days ago, I was in Value Village here in Kingston, Ontario and bought the following carbon fiber gimbal head for a mere $5.19. It looks like new. The store didn't now what it was because it was in gardening/hardware section.

https://neewer.com/products/neewer-...od-head-with-1-4-quick-release-plate-66600365

I had a Telephoto rig fall off a monopod 1 times too many - an improperly secured screw clamp let the torque break the lens foot free. Lever clamping plates are safer in my experience, but only with a matching Lens plate and correctly adjusted.

This is a primary reason for restricting the weight to the vertical access, with a heavy rig. And I always have a safety lanyard clipped on to the lens on any tripod or monopod, especially for carrying on hikes. This advice is rarely shared in reviews, do free caution to a new telephoto owner.

Fotopro also do a light gimbal, which is also versatile for macros and panoramas on a tripod. I replaced both clamps on mine to use Leofoto lever clamps. In fact the Leofoto gimbals are almost as light and better quality.

Here's a recent comparison of most models, but doesn't include Jobu nor Leofoto

I have no issues with balancing the wimberley WH100 on my monopod. Matter of fact, I often forget that I'm not using a full gimbal head - it is confidence inspiring. For me it's nearly perfect , very fluid on all axis and most importantly, very securely attached.
What lens are you using on the MH100 (I'm assuming that you meant MH and not WH)? As I mentioned, for smaller lenses it can be a great compact solution. For larger lenses it works but it is pulling to the side as the thing is side mounting a huge lens....physics don't lie and you are always counterbalancing that the entire time you are shooting....sort of defeats the purpose. The JR 3 is so small and light that it just works 100x better than the MH100 for larger lenses like 400/2.8 and 600/4 (even the latest lighter versions).

What lens are you using on the MH100 (I'm assuming that you meant MH and not WH)? As I mentioned, for smaller lenses it can be a great compact solution. For larger lenses it works but it is pulling to the side as the thing is side mounting a huge lens....physics don't lie and you are always counterbalancing that the entire time you are shooting....sort of defeats the purpose. The JR 3 is so small and light that it just works 100x better than the MH100 for larger lenses like 400/2.8 and 600/4 (even the latest lighter versions).
In some instances like with the Sony 70-200gmii lens, it makes accessing the lens buttons nearly impossible. Same with the 100-400 as well. I bought it twice thinking I was doing something wrong but disliked it even more the second time. I’ve had great luck with the RRS tilt head and it makes mounting extremely easy.

Back