What is your favorite choice for a lightweight carry-around casual or street shooter setup?

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

I too am looking for a travel camera solution. For years of sun and fun travel, I used Canon PowerShot cameras; now I use my iPhone for those types of shots. I have researched the Sony a6700, a7Cll and a7R, but the less than desirable EVF and rear screen display caused me to look for another alternative (I wear “transition” lens glasses that darken in sunlight which makes it more difficult to see dim rear screen displays and small EVF's).

Recently traveled with my Z6ll and the 26/2.8; was pleasantly surprised by the crisp colors and sharp images captured with this combination. I also brought along my Sony a1 with the 24-105 just to see the differences in the feel and weight of each kit. (I kinda went down the Sony rabbit hole when I purchased an a9 with the 100-400, and it blew away my D750 80-400 kit). Thought seriously about the Sony a1 with the 20-70/4 and the 70-350 apc lens because the 70-350 is an incredibly sharp compact telephoto lens. But I still love the overall feel of the Nikon Z6, i.e., button placement, etc.

Botton line, think I stick with the Z6ll, and or Z6lll with the 14/30, 24-120, and or 26/2.8 for an upcoming trip to Indonesia. Still looking for a Nikon sharp “small” travel telephoto.

I use a Sony A7CR with a 20-70mm f4 or one of the tiny prime lenses (28mm, 40mm or 50mm). It’s the same camera as the A7RV in a smaller shell. Super compact, outstanding autofocus and 60 megapixels (which you can also change to 30 to use less memory space).
I am extremely happy with this combination and I think it’s quite a bit cheaper than the Leica Q3.

Looking forward to the comments as I’ve been thinking the same myself, although I was thinking of something even more compact than my current (for now!) Z6ii.
The Z6ii is my smallest camera, other than a point and shoot, and I love it or its size and capabilities.
My usual camera is a Z8 but the Z6ii is significantly smaller.

My first Z series camera, coming from a D 800 series, was the z7ii. That was notably lighter. I still have that camera and any time I pick it up after using a Z9 it is amazing how small.

I once went into the local store and compared sizes and weights on various street shooter options including the Q and other Leica options. I thought and still think the Z7ii is as light as any of them when using a pancake lens.

I am still torn about going to z6iii first I don’t know how it compares in size to the Z7ii, second I am not sure how I feel about halving my pixel count.

The z7ii is a pretty light camera and its crazy autofocus system is no big deal when doing landscape shots. The reality though is I rarely pick it up because I am usually working with the Z9.

Back