What it means to Own Topaz, or LR?

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

According to Topaz when I asked them, the above statement is incorrect. You own the software and can continue to use it as long as your operating system supports it. Without the annual subscription you will not be receiving updates.

They also said they will occasionally make updates on the older software, particularly for operating systems for a while but did not specify time and did say they have no updates currently on the horizon. This info is about 3 months old now.

Just wanted to say unlike Creative Cloud apps, one does NOT need to pay the annual subscription to use the software one already owns. At least that is what they told me.

Jeff

Thanks for setting me straight. I was positive that repayment was required each year. Now I'm happy to learn that it is not the case. This is good to know, since now I only need to pay if I want to update PhotoAI, and I can use Sharpen and DeNoise forever and ever. :)

Now, what seems odd to me, is that Topaz will happily take your money to "renew upgrades" for Shapen, DeNoise and Gigapixel even though they have said they will no longer update these products. That seems a bit unethical, doesn't it? I think that is what the OP was saying in the first place and I was too dense to understand. :) :) :) :p

Last edited:
Thanks for setting me straight. I was positive that repayment was required each year. Now I'm happy to learn that it is not the case. This is good to know, since now I only need to pay if I want to update PhotoAI, and I can use Sharpen and DeNoise forever and ever. :)

Now, what seems odd to me, is that Topaz will happily take your money to "renew upgrades" for Shapen, DeNoise and Gigapixel even though they have said they will no longer update these products. That seems a bit unethical, doesn't it? I think that is what the OP was saying in the first place and I was too dense to understand. :) :) :) :p

Where is the information posted that says they will not update sharpen ai and the others? Somewhere on their website?

I contacted them because the expiry date on my renewal was incorrect and that's when they told me there was no immediate plans but they would for security updates etc. I'm not going to renew the stand alone tools but will keep the Photos AI up to date. I rather like the app and now that I've gent used to when to back off the sliders and when to select / de select subjects it's pretty easy to use and gives "good enough" for my needs. I'm not a Lightroom user as I prefer a combination of Apple Photos, Affinity and Pixelmator Pro.

Where is the information posted that says they will not update sharpen ai and the others? Somewhere on their website?
I heard it when I was inquiring about an expiration date mismatch on my products. Their contact person got it straightened out. I mentioned to them I had heard there were no more updates coming for the stand alone. Their response was none were immediately planned but they would update the stand alone products for some things like security etc.

I let the stand alone products lapse but have kept current with the Photo AI all-in-one product.

I heard it when I was inquiring about an expiration date mismatch on my products. Their contact person got it straightened out. I mentioned to them I had heard there were no more updates coming for the stand alone. Their response was none were immediately planned but they would update the stand alone products for some things like security etc.

I let the stand alone products lapse but have kept current with the Photo AI all-in-one product.
I do not know why anyone would think different. They have abandoned Studio, Studio2, Topaz ReStyle, Topaz Glow, Topaz ReMask, Topaz Impression, Topaz Simplify, Topaz Detail, Topaz Adjust, and Mask AI. Based on history, I predict a Photo-Video AI and then the standalones become obsolete.

Last edited:
They are actively selling the standalones and selling one year updates. Everything about the company so far has been above board, so I'd be surprised that they would sell updates for $49 a year if they knew it was a lie.

Well here's what it looks like the day after my year expired. I own Photo AI but no offer to extend the upgrades like the other legacy products which are not being updated.

1701086557147.png

What is the "renew your seats" button for?
that renews your subscription for updates etc. Photos AI allows multiple seats. I have 2 seats, one for my wife and one for me. Different nomenclature than what is used on the stand alone but from what I can see, the 2 buttons are exactly the same.

I do not work for Topaz, am not sponsored by them, have no affiliate links, etc. Just a guy who uses the software.

that renews your subscription for updates etc. Photos AI allows multiple seats. I have 2 seats, one for my wife and one for me. Different nomenclature than what is used on the stand alone but from what I can see, the 2 buttons are exactly the same.

I do not work for Topaz, am not sponsored by them, have no affiliate links, etc. Just a guy who uses the software.
LOL SO TOPAZIAN.

Yes that's it. $74 for renewal for a year. No thanks. Not with my new workflow. I will use it as is with its current version.
My biggest issue is that it add color casts. Similar to this video.

Last edited:
LOL SO TOPAZIAN.

Yes that's it. $74 for renewal for a year. No thanks. Not with my new workflow. I will use it as it.
My biggest issue is that it add color casts. Similar to this video.

Topazian.... love it. :)

I haven't noticed color cast but I always do white balance and color correction after the de noise function so I may not be seeing it.

I'll watch Jan's video and see if I can replicate his observations entirely possible I just haven't noticed it.

Hope your new workflow "works out" for you. I don't really have a set workflow. Just kind of wing it. I do not post process a great deal, crop, white balance, noise reduction when needed, sharpening when needed. No amount of sharpening is going to turn a blurry pig of a photo into a nature magazine cover shot.

Let us know how the workflow checks out. Always interested in learning new ways of doing things from other photographers.

ps. what's the story behind BarkingBeansCoffee?

Back