What!? No heated forum discussion about the D6 firmware update! :)

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

ssheipel

Supporting Member
Marketplace
What the D6 firmware update did was remind me, as I played with my D6 after the upgrade, is I have lost any real memory of the functionality of the D6 vs the Z9 beyond the (and there is a lot of this, granted) Nikon to Nikon similarities. Surprisingly it has really tempted me to take Nikon Canada's latest trade in offer on the D6 and ultimately exchange it for Zf....

Anyway, the first (and surely the last) firware update for the D6 since 2022.

I posted the update but indeed, no heated debate :) Either all happy D6 snappers or all/most moved on to Z8/9.
Oh well, I must be an old fashioned outlier :D
While I don't use my D6 as often as my Z9's, I still find it as bulletproof as ever. Basically the D6 is simpler to use, but with the big caveat that a Z9 is the superior instrument to track birds' eyes and grab the optimal frame @20fps.
A D6 on one of my favourite telephotos is still superb for mammals (especially 70-200 f2.8E or 180-400 TC).
Nevertheless, the Mirrorless Revolution is impossible to ignore, particularly in how fast it's restructured the Nikon Ecosystem.... Consider the D6 was still leader of the pack less than 3 years ago (2020 - 2021)

Last edited:
Oh well, I must be an old fashioned outlier :D
While I don't use my D6 as often as my Z9's, I still find it as bulletproof as ever. Basically the D6 is simpler to use, but with the big caveat that a Z9 is the superior instrument to track birds' eyes and grab the optimal frame @20fps.
A D6 on one of my favourite telephotos is still superb for mammals (especially 70-200 f2.8E or 180-400 TC).
Nevertheless, the Mirrorless Revolution is impossible to ignore, particularly in how fast it's restructured the Nikon Ecosystem.... Consider the D6 was still leader of the pack less than 3 years ago (2020 - 2021)
Yup, holding to mine as I own the 180-400 tc (which I chose as I was shooting big animals when I got into wildlife phtography) and my macro 105 VR f mount (and the D6 has focus stacking so who needs the Z9's engine :) ). $ wise as I want a second/backup Z camera the trade in from Nikon was very tempting but this morning was tinkering with the D6 around the apartment and made the vert firm decision to hold on to it; and that will mean I'll avoid getting the Zf which I fear I'll respond to like I did the Z6 (which was to get rid of it in a few weeks). And as you say the D6 continues to feel to me like a camera I could toss on the road and not have to worry about it not working; true tank like build :)

Yup, holding to mine as I own the 180-400 tc (which I chose as I was shooting big animals when I got into wildlife phtography) and my macro 105 VR f mount (and the D6 has focus stacking so who needs the Z9's engine :) ). $ wise as I want a second/backup Z camera the trade in from Nikon was very tempting but this morning was tinkering with the D6 around the apartment and made the vert firm decision to hold on to it; and that will mean I'll avoid getting the Zf which I fear I'll respond to like I did the Z6 (which was to get rid of it in a few weeks). And as you say the D6 continues to feel to me like a camera I could toss on the road and not have to worry about it not working; true tank like build :)
Unless you need the money or fear depreciation, the D6 is a spectacular tool even today.

I rent one from time to time over the Z9 as its easier to have additional shooters covering an event and not have to deal with the complicated computerized options on the run.
In really low light or low contrast moving subjects the D6 just delivers contrary to new claims mirror less is as good.

Only an opinion

Unless you need the money or fear depreciation, the D6 is a spectacular tool even today.

I rent one from time to time over the Z9 as its easier to have additional shooters covering an event and not have to deal with the complicated computerized options on the run.
In really low light or low contrast moving subjects the D6 just delivers contrary to new claims mirror less is as good.

Only an opinion
Agreed. I always feel comfortable back in the DSLR world of single point focus and mirrored viewfinder :) To keep the D6 active I'm going to do all my macro work with it and it'll be second camera on portrait work (I still have the 85 1.4 f mount).

Agreed. I always feel comfortable back in the DSLR world of single point focus and mirrored viewfinder :) To keep the D6 active I'm going to do all my macro work with it and it'll be second camera on portrait work (I still have the 85 1.4 f mount).
I found using the first A9 was an experience, i liked the fact it was small light compact. It was far from sticky in low light or low contrast.

I picked up my D4S and just loved the feel of it and the way it performed, i returned the A9 and lenses to Sony.

The D6 is an amazing camera i have zero issues or complaints with it and love using it.

I sold my D6 D5 several years ago when i went with 2 D850 units one with a grip, i was happy with 9 fps.

I still like shooting a rented D6 or my own D850, the word like is what important to me, i think the D6 D5 D4s are amongst the best cameras ever made in Nikon, the D850 belongs in that line up as well.

Doesn't matter how or what mirror less brings or doesn't bring to the table, my self i don't want to invest so heavily or if at all in a suite of mirror less glass.

With my D6 the only issue going forward was depreciation and parts, i was able to preserve my capital and place it forward, i think as far as parts go the D6 and D850 will be fine for a while.

The ultimate DSLR even outright camera choices as a combo is the D6 D850.

My friend bought a shutter assembly for the D850 and D6 and put it on the shelf.

Last edited:
I think Nikon continues to repair and make parts for camera and lens models no longer being made is like 5 or 10 years i can't remember which. That i believe is what Nikon calls the End Of Life for cameras and lenses.

With the OG topic. I think a large majority of D6 owners should then I'd they moved to mirrorless before the values feel though the floor.

I think Nikon continues to repair and make parts for camera and lens models no longer being made is like 5 or 10 years i can't remember which. That i believe is what Nikon calls the End Of Life for cameras and lenses.

With the OG topic. I think a large majority of D6 owners should then I'd they moved to mirrorless before the values feel though the floor.
My friend is a X Nikon camera technician now earning more money and making a better living as a Uber driver and part time photographer, he can do all DSLR repairs him self hence the courage to buy the shutter assemblies. He also gets some parts for other cameras by buying up used cameras criminally cheap. You can get bits on Ebay the same way.

I think this will only ever last for a while as you say eventually mirror less will be the only option.

My D3X has no parts availability.
I can buy a near new low shutter count D3X on line almost near the cost of a shutter repair.
I think this trend will continue.

Yes depreciation is the most critical thing now for DSLR tools in the main stream, the damage has been done and is severe.

However i feel the D6 has some legs still if the shutter count is low.

A surprise My DF is silver and is actually escalating in used prices for low shutter count units, its currently at what i paid for mine new.

Only an opinion

Back