What Z lenses would you like to see Nikon introduce next?

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

RichF

Well-known and Infamous Member
Supporting Member
Marketplace
The 800mm F/6.3 PF lens looks fantastic. Can not wait to get my copy. love to shoot long glass but the 600 F/4 is a bit on the heavy/bulky side for me.

There are several lenses I would like to see Nikon introduce next (first 3 are not on the roadmap)

1. Not on the road map, long macro lens with tripod collar. Perhaps on that can focus closer than 1:1

2. 400mm F/4 PF. If it is much slower than F/4 I begin to lose interest. F/3.5 out be outstanding.

3. The F/2.8 trinity is already available, F/4 is trinity is lacking. 14-30 F/4, 24-70 and 24-120 F/4. If not a 70-200 F/4, perhaps a 100-300 f/4?

4. 200-600 which is on the roadmap.

5. An Z replacement for the 180-400 F/4 w/ drop in TC. No on the roadmap, I suspect that Nikon had been planning how to replace this lens. I am sure that the replacement will be awesome (like nearly all the Z glass is).

Hope we can get the 1st 4 by the end of this year.

What lenses would like to see next? Please be reasonable, no 14-1200 F/2.8.

The two lenses on the roadmap I’m most interested in are the 200-600mm and 400mm PF and would really like to see the 200-600mm be next. This lens provides flexibility for most wildlife photography in one lens. Not on the roadmap, I would like to see a 600mm PF replacement for the 500mm PF. I‘m not sure we will see the 500mm focal length for Z mount, at least for a while.

I'd like to see the 200-600mm and I'd like it to be comparable to the Sony equivalent that everyone loves. I don't intend to buy it but if it's light enough it could be a consideration for my wife. Mostly it rounds out the line-up and gives amateurs an upgrade path with Nikon. Especially if they make big improvements with firmware or the Z6/Z7 III. So it's not that I want it, just that I think it's good for Nikon.

I don't think I want anything now. For wildlife I now have the 105 Z macro, 100-400 Z, 300 PF, 500 PF, 400 Z and the 800 Z coming. I think I'll cull the 300 PF and 500 PF (along with the F-mount TCs) because I don't think I'll have need of them. My wife will miss the 300 PF because the 100-400 Z is "heavy" (maximum eye rolling when we discuss this) and I think the 500 PF is a cracking lens but I'm not sure where it fits into my other lenses.

I really want to stop buying gear and get on some trips but they're coming soon now.

Hands down I hope the 200-600 is released next. It will certainly be a lens that you would have to get your order in early for though. Especially if its in the ball park price range of 200-500. I think it has been mentioned here a few times but its the only lens on the original road map not released so I can't image its too far out. I have a feeling that Nikon wanted to get all the other more expensive lens released first so those with deep pockets purchased the exotics first.

As far as the 200-600 lens is concerned, my wish (dream) is if Nikon could launch 2 versions of the same lens. The first one that can be a budget lens very similar to the 200-500 lens (extending zoom, variable aperture up to f6.3 Ok'ish AF speed, decent optics etc. with an aggressive pricing) and the second one to be an S line version with internal zoom, fixed aperture at f5.6, faster motors like on their exotics/PF lenses, better coatings and superior optics with slightly higher price.

The Z system is still missing Nikon stalwarts including a long Macro, where the Z mount design would underpin a high quality zoom that reincarnates the legend that is the 70-180 Micro-Nikkor. I have one that remains a workhorse on the D850 (What passes for Nikon FTZ compatibility does not support s'driver AF as we know too well).

The others already mentioned are a 105 - a 105 f1.8S will extend the lineage of excellence.

70-300 is another standard Nikon optic, ideally a constant f4S and perhaps a more affordable f3.5/5.6

Tilt-Shift 20mm and 85mm at least matching the quality and features of the 19mm T/S

Fisheye Zoom? Fisheye Prime?

The 200-600 is very badly delayed

When Nikon published its first Z roadmaps, there was a fair amount of speculation that the optical pay offs of the new mount would show up best in shorter focal lengths. The first U-Wides, 50 f1.8S, 85 f1.8S confirmed this.

Then, the 70-200 f2.8S managed to improve on the very high standard of the E FL version. Moreover, both Z TCs have better IQ, which is presumably a spin off of the Z Mount architecture. The 400 f2.8S is more appealing with its integral TC besides meeting the new acceptable of ergonomic standards to weigh < 3kg. The 800 PF has broken a few rules we had resigned to, as to affordability of "Exotic" telephotos, and their low production, special order status. Nikon's overarching aim with the Z telephotos seems to be to differentiate these telephotos to lure DSLR owners and also entice some to switch entire camera systems. So although the 400 f2.8S is very expensive, it is at least 2 primes in one.

So the 600 f4S gets interesting,...... How exactly can it stand apart, besides a mass < 3kg? ARNEO coating, Super ED and SR elements, Silky-Swift AF are distinct possibilities. An internal TC is certainly possible. How about a 600 f4S TC17? The combinations will open up new horizons: 840 f5.6, 1020 f6.3, 1200 f8, and doubling an external TC on a 1020 f6.3 will allow 1428 f9 (ZTC14) and 2040 f13 (ZTC2). Nikon's last venture into this territory were the 1000 f11 and 2000 f11 primes (released in the late 1970s).

Ever since Nikon announced the 400 2.8 S TC, there are certain things i feel would work great in the future - Explore external TCs that operate like in-built TCs. i.e. something that can be used with any lens but has the ability to be turned on or off with a flick of a switch similar to the in-built TCs. Another option would be for Nikon to have the concept of internal TCs more like a "Configure to order" with any prime lens. For instance, If a particular customer wants 400 f2.8 with a 1.4TC in-built vs another that wants a 2X TC in-built, Nikon must let the TC alone to be configurable.

So the 600 f4S gets interesting,...... How exactly can it stand apart, besides a mass < 3kg? ARNEO coating, Super ED and SR elements, Silky-Swift AF are distinct possibilities. An internal TC is certainly possible. How about a 600 f4S TC17? The combinations will open up new horizons: 840 f5.6, 1020 f6.3, 1200 f8, and doubling an external TC on a 1020 f6.3 will allow 1428 f9 (ZTC14) and 2040 f13 (ZTC2). Nikon's last venture into this territory were the 1000 f11 and 2000 f11 primes (released in the late 1970s).

Another vote for the 200-600. Please make it internal zoom like the Sony lens. I'm ok with 5.6 to 6.3 aperture as long as it stays 5.6 out to the 400-500 range. Would be nice if it was about the same weight or a little lighter than the 200-500. I want faster focusing than the 200-500 (which is slooooow). Given this is a couple lens generations later, I would like to see it be sharper with finer resolution and better corner sharpness than the 200-500 (which I think is a great lens by the way). Keep the price tag somewhere around 2,000 - 2,200 USD. Essentially, fix the very few flaws on the 200-500, give us that extra 100mm reach and call it a day. This lens would most likely be what pushes me over to the Nikon Mirrorless world.

All my other lenses, at least the ones I use the most, 24-70 2.8vr, Sigma 100-400, Micro 105 F2,8vr, I would be fine using adapted. I'd want to add an ultra wide to the kit, something in the 11-20ish range.

If/when Nikon launches the 200-600 and an updated generation of Z cameras with trickle down from the Z9 (I don't care if it is a Z8 or a Z7iii, I'm not picky with names just want the Z9 influenced autofocus and something in the 10-20fps range with either no or very little EVF blackout.

I think my "wants" are or should be reasonable.

I would guess that if it isn't currently on the roadmap it is a long ways off.

I would like to see the 600 f/4...because I'm curious if it will have the built-in TC or not.

I think it really needs to have it and I think it will. However, it will not be as short as it currently appears in silhouette on the roadmap. It will have to grow for sure just as we saw the 800PF grow once the real lens image was released.

But I think Nikon would be best served by releasing the 200-600. I wasn't sure if Nikon would be able to match Sony's $2K price point but after seeing the 800PF price I'm certain they will. I'm sure IQ will be great. I would really hope it has internal zoom and a smooth, short zoom throw like the Sony. The Sony has the nicest zoom mechanism I've ever had on a lens.

agree, with the possible exception of rebranded lenses. afaik, the 28-75 was never on the roadmap?
True.

And I guess there is the fact that the 200-600 and 600 have been on the roadmap a long while but then Nikon threw up the 800PF and 400(PF?) and then released the 800PF before the 200-600 and 600. So that does mean anything could be on the table and show up and get released before some current roadmapped lenses. But I still think Nikon is more likely to concentrate on the roadmap before other lenses.

Another vote for the 200-600mm, would like it to be approaching the S lens quality in IQ (its got to be better than the Sigma or Tamron 150-600's and surpass the Nikon 200-500), it also needs to be in a price range accessible for the enthusiast photographer. I wonder if Nikon thinks that the 100-400mm S (if some of us poor non-NPS folk can ever get it) is a replacement or substitute for the 200-600mm and thus the delay?

Another vote for the 200-600 and yes please with internal zoom, weather resistant, and fixed 5.6. Pretty much what @jeffnles1 said above, fix/improve upon the 200-500's flaws and I'll be happy.
That would be a replacement for the 180-400. I hope that make a lens to replace the 180-400, either as current lens (w/ TC) or a longer, fixed aperture zoom w/o a TC. But definitely the built quality and IQ of an S lens

I wish that Nikon would produce something like the Canon 100-500mm lens which to me is the perfect zoom range to use with a prime super tele lens.

The Nikon 200mm micro lens not being AFS cannot work with a Z camera even with the FTZ adapter and there really is no substitute for this lens in the Z world. The Z 105mm macro cannot be used with the Z teleconverters so not a solution.

Nikon has the 1993 lens with defocus control with the 105mm f/2.0 DC lens for DSLR cameras. The tecnnology should be at the point where the defocus could be done electronically in the camera.

Back