What's causing this

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

sh1209

Supporting Member
Marketplace
This footage was shot with an A1 600GM lens plus 1.4TC at 60 FPS and put in a 60 FPS timeline within Final Cut Pro but no matter what I do it appears to be glitching. I think it caused by the hit in autofocus caused by the TC but I am not sure. Any insight appreciated

Thats a combination of heat waves and AF hunting due to the low contrast scene. AF hunting is exactly why I never rely on AF full time and use MF for non-moving subjects as much as possible. This isn't unique to the A1 -- the best mirrorless cameras video AF systems will "hunt" when subjects are small in the frame and contast is low.

Thats a combination of heat waves and AF hunting due to the low contrast scene. AF hunting is exactly why I never rely on AF full time and use MF for non-moving subjects as much as possible. This isn't unique to the A1 -- the best mirrorless cameras video AF systems will "hunt" when subjects are small in the frame and contast is low.
I’ll start trying manual focus more often and see how that goes.

I’ll start trying manual focus more often and see how that goes.
On the A1, I assign AF/MF toggle to the AEL button -- one quick tap is all it takes to go from AF to MF and back again. Even when set to MF, the BBF will still function as AF-S. When shooting MF, selecting single point works well when "picking" subjects in bushes/branches -- place the focus point on the birds head/eye, tap AF-ON and the camera will AF (works as AF-S only) to the spot then stop focusing. As long as the subject doesn't move outside the DOF you should be fine and you don't need to worry about the AF hunting.

Last edited:
On the A1, I assign AF/MF toggle to the AEL button -- one quick tap is all it takes to go from AF to MF and back again. Even when set to MF, the BBF will still function as AF-S. When shooting MF, selecting single point works well when "picking" subjects in bushes/branches -- place the focus point on the birds head/eye, tap AF-ON and the camera will AF (works as AF-S only) to the spot then stop focusing. As long as the subject doesn't move outside the DOF you should be fine and you don't need to worry about the AF hunting.
Hi, Steven, Garfield, thank you so much sharing the tips. WRT AF, do you guys use DMF ? On low contrast or busy backgrounds, I frequently turn to DMF for quick adjustment, also I would assign one button for quick recall.

Oliver

Last edited:
Did you stabilize that footage in post? Thats the same look you get when you stabilize jerkiness, the jerkiness gets removed but the blur remains.
I did run stabilization because I was unfortunately using a monopod when shooting this. Most of the time I try to use my tripod with this lens because of the weight.

Hi, Steven, Garfield, thank you so much sharing the tips. WRT to AF, do you guys use DMF ? On low contrast or busy backgrounds, I frequently turn to DMF for quick adjustment, also I would assign one button for quick recall.

Oliver
My A7RV has full time dmf on all lenses but the A1 will only work with certain lenses. I have ael assigned the same as Garfield on the a1 for af/mf hold. It seems like in my experience that the 200-600 seems to do better with video but it could just be that it’s simply smaller and easier to manage.

I did run stabilization because I was unfortunately using a monopod when shooting this. Most of the time I try to use my tripod with this lens because of the weight.
Id bet what you are seeing is the blur from the quick jerks. Stabilization can steady the image but the intra-frame blur is still there.

Id bet what you are seeing is the blur from the quick jerks. Stabilization can steady the image but the intra-frame blur is still there.
So in your opinion, would you recommend turning off the image stabilization whenever I’m on a tripod with video? I never turn it off or stills, no matter what even if I’m on a tripod, but maybe that’s causing issues as well

This footage was shot with an A1 600GM lens plus 1.4TC at 60 FPS and put in a 60 FPS timeline within Final Cut Pro but no matter what I do it appears to be glitching. I think it caused by the hit in autofocus caused by the TC but I am not sure. Any insight appreciated

Steven, some generalized thoughts that might be completely useless...

1. That lens/tc combo might be impossible to stabilize short of a steadicam or a broadcast-style stand. The angle is just too narrow.
2. Video AF for any camera on the market is simply not there yet and has little to do with technique. It's useful for stationary vlogging but that's about it. All other circumstances, It'll hunt and ruin a take. The biggest, most expensive rigs are MF. Lots of YouTubes on how to MF.
3. Not sure how much cropping you did in post and what the settings were, but if possible, ridding the TC, shooting 8k and cropping to an HD might work better. Even shorter lens.
4. Finally, in a situation like this, I would sometime shoot a long take, as you did, but then chop it up in post into really short segments with quick transitions. This will allow you to rid of OOF frames or overly-Jerry footage, but still giving you a continuous sequence. Just mind that the birds are roughly in same place or moving in the right direction.

Steven, some generalized thoughts that might be completely useless...

1. That lens/tc combo might be impossible to stabilize short of a steadicam or a broadcast-style stand. The angle is just too narrow.
2. Video AF for any camera on the market is simply not there yet and has little to do with technique. It's useful for stationary vlogging but that's about it. All other circumstances, It'll hunt and ruin a take. The biggest, most expensive rigs are MF. Lots of YouTubes on how to MF.
3. Not sure how much cropping you did in post and what the settings were, but if possible, ridding the TC, shooting 8k and cropping to an HD might work better. Even shorter lens.
4. Finally, in a situation like this, I would sometime shoot a long take, as you did, but then chop it up in post into really short segments with quick transitions. This will allow you to rid of OOF frames or overly-Jerry footage, but still giving you a continuous sequence. Just mind that the birds are roughly in same place or moving in the right direction.
This was shot 4K60 with no cropping whatsoever. I do agree it’s best to not have a teleconverter on there. I am going to start experimenting more with manual. Focus and I can also shoot 8K 30 and crop in as well. Being on a mono pod with that heavy lens wasn’t the best endeavor for video shooting, but I really hadn’t planned on shooting video yesterday. It was just sort of a spur of the moment thing. Would you leave image stabilization on while on a tripod or turn it off when doing video? I have normally left it on in the past for pretty much everything other than like Macro Focus stacking or something along those lines.

This was shot 4K60 with no cropping whatsoever. I do agree it’s best to not have a teleconverter on there. I am going to start experimenting more with manual. Focus and I can also shoot 8K 30 and crop in as well. Being on a mono pod with that heavy lens wasn’t the best endeavor for video shooting, but I really hadn’t planned on shooting video yesterday. It was just sort of a spur of the moment thing. Would you leave image stabilization on while on a tripod or turn it off when doing video? I have normally left it on in the past for pretty much everything other than like Macro Focus stacking or something along those lines.
I don't know. I don't have this lens/body combo. In general, I keep mine on when it's on a tripod, although I don't recall shooting vid at greater than 200mm.

But how cool is it to on a spare of the moment switch to video! That's the beauty of hybrids vs. dedicated video cameras.

I don't know. I don't have this lens/body combo. In general, I keep mine on when it's on a tripod, although I don't recall shooting vid at greater than 200mm.

But how cool is it to on a spare of the moment switch to video! That's the beauty of hybrids vs. dedicated video cameras.
Yes it is. It’s very nice to have that luxury. I just need to get better at using it. most of my video shooting has been with drones which are completely forgiving with Camera shake, focus in the likes of that because of a gimbal when you go hand held the whole dynamic changes lol. The video settings on drones are much more straightforward. You don’t have tons of options like you do in the Mirrorless cameras so it’s just going to take a while to get used to things.

Yes it is. It’s very nice to have that luxury. I just need to get better at using it. most of my video shooting has been with drones which are completely forgiving with Camera shake, focus in the likes of that because of a gimbal when you go hand held the whole dynamic changes lol. The video settings on drones are much more straightforward. You don’t have tons of options like you do in the Mirrorless cameras so it’s just going to take a while to get used to things.
Not for this lens, probably, but a gimbal makes a big difference. DJI actually makes a cinema camera now (4D) with built-in gimbal.

Not for this lens, probably, but a gimbal makes a big difference. DJI actually makes a cinema camera now (4D) with built-in gimbal.
I was just referring to the gimbal on my drone camera. I have a small dji gimbal I can use much smaller lenses on and it works great

There might be some focus issues. I prefer using AF-C and BBF when shooting this type of video over what Nikon calls full time focus. I can focus, shoot a short clip, refocus, shoot a short clip, I don't like the unexpected focus hunting that may occur within a short clip.

I think this is more to do with lens/body VR and video. It seems to me that the way VR works is it will lock in and stabilize a subject but will then release and restabilize the subject again. You never notice it when shooting stills but in video it appears as a jittery motion in the video. I have found sport VR mode works better in video but I still prefer to shoot a little wide and then stabilize in post.

Don't worry too much about using TC's -- good tracking in video mostly depends on sufficient contrast and subject isolation. I've posted this example clip before but will do it again -- this was captured with the A1+200-600+2xTC (1200mm) stopped down to @f16. The A1 lost focus a couple of times only when I lost the bird in AF area of the frame or the ground cover became prominent...

So in your opinion, would you recommend turning off the image stabilization whenever I’m on a tripod with video? I never turn it off or stills, no matter what even if I’m on a tripod, but maybe that’s causing issues as well
We might be talking 2 different stabilizations. Im referring to stabilizing done in editing and you might be talking about lens stabilization. Id definitely keep it on while filming unless youre locked down and trying for clean audio.

We might be talking 2 different stabilizations. Im referring to stabilizing done in editing and you might be talking about lens stabilization. Id definitely keep it on while filming unless youre locked down and trying for clean audio.
No I was referring to both honestly. I do run stabilization in FCP as well as leaving it enabled in camera.

No I was referring to both honestly. I do run stabilization in FCP as well as leaving it enabled in camera.
The stabilization in FCP is likely responsible for most of what you are seeing. Some of it may be focus related but in my experience youll get that odd defocused look from motion blur in the stabilized video frames.

Back