What's in Steve's bag?

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

DavidT

Supporting Member
Marketplace
I'm curious as to what are Steve's go to cameras and lenses? I know he is using the D6 now, has a Z6II, Z7, D5 along with some Sony gear.

Does he still use the D850 or just the Z7 now? What have been the preferred lenses? Enquiring minds want to know :)

Honestly, it really depends on where I'm going and what I'm shooting. So many times I'm out and specifically want to test or use a certain camera, so I don't really have a "go-to" camera at the moment, although if I did I'd probably lean a little towards a9ii right now with the 600mm F/4 - and the 100-400 in the bag. It's the kit I'll probably take for my three Africa trips next year. However, in Costa Rica I may go for the D6 and 600mm (and 105 and 300PF - and sometimes the 500PF too) since I think the D6 does a little better in low light. Normally, my D850 would be the second camera on a trip like that, but if the Z7ii performs like the Z6ii, I'll probably take the Z7ii instead of the D850 next time. For my work in the states, especially hiking, I like the Z camera with the 500PF or 180-400, or the Sony a9ii and the 100-400 (and the 600mm in the backpack). The Sony 200-600 is also quite good.

Overall, if there's a theme to this, I kind of feel like I'm slowly leaving DSLRs behind. It wasn't the plan, but that's what's happening! The improved AF of the MKii Z cameras is certainly helping to nudge me along. I've been using the Z6ii and the 500PF or 180-400 in my local park lately and those have proven to be wonderful combos (the Z + 500PF has got to be the best walk-around setup ever).

Hi Steve,

I watched your video (thanks for that) about the firmware 3.0 with hopes that the AF and tracking would have been an improvement since I was considering picking up a Z6/Z7 since the prices have dropped like an anchor, but after your video I"ll wait some more.......however, I'm hoping the Z6ii and the Z7ii AF is good 'enough' for focusing/tracking wildlife/birds.

Hi Steve,

I watched your video (thanks for that) about the firmware 3.0 with hopes that the AF and tracking would have been an improvement since I was considering picking up a Z6/Z7 since the prices have dropped like an anchor, but after your video I"ll wait some more.......however, I'm hoping the Z6ii and the Z7ii AF is good 'enough' for focusing/tracking wildlife/birds.
So far, it seems to be. It's not D850 / D500 / D5/6 level, but it works. For static subjects it's really good - locks on without complaint most of the time and is very accurate. For action, it's better than the original cameras, but not up with Nikon's best yet, at least not in my opinion.

So far, it seems to be. It's not D850 / D500 / D5/6 level, but it works. For static subjects it's really good - locks on without complaint most of the time and is very accurate. For action, it's better than the original cameras, but not up with Nikon's best yet, at least not in my opinion.
I’m curious about something. Assuming Nikon comes out with a D6 version in a Z body say in the next 12-18 months do you stick with Nikon or move to Sony? Also any interest in Canon?

I’m curious about something. Assuming Nikon comes out with a D6 version in a Z body say in the next 12-18 months do you stick with Nikon or move to Sony? Also any interest in Canon?
LOL, that's the million dollar question :)

Nikon has a new 600mm on the roadmap that I'm intrigued with. I generally like their ergonomics better, although I think Sony has them in a few areas when taken objectively. At the moment, I really like the Sony 600mm though - it's seems like the best 600mm I've ever used. It also seems to take the 1.4TC better than Nikon's 600 does. (I'm thinking about a formal had-to-head test). So, it's not just the bodies, it's the lenses too.

The big question is, what will the Z9 be like? I was out just this evening with the Z6ii trying the tracking mode on seagulls against a generally blue sky - it failed spectacularly. (Thankfully, the normal AF modes did really well.) The equivalent Sony tracking gets on target and sticks like crazy. Nikon needs to get to that level if it's going to stay my primary camera system. I really do want Nikon to succeed here, but when you shoot the two systems side by side for action, the differences in performance are obvious. Still, I feel like the Z6/7 are more of a mirrorless D750 and really aren't meant to perform like the a9ii (or even the A7R4). So, I'm cautiously optimistic.

Thanks Steve,

Has the Animal Eye tracking capability improved dramatically? Ie. tracking of your cat's eyes.

Thanks Steve,

Has the Animal Eye tracking capability improved dramatically? Ie. tracking of your cat's eyes.
It seems to have. My black cat never was a good target for my first gen Zs - the new ones pick her up much better. The "regular" colored cats it really hangs onto - I'd use it without hesitation based on what I've seen so far.

The big question is, what will the Z9 be like? I was out just this evening with the Z6ii trying the tracking mode on seagulls against a generally blue sky - it failed spectacularly. (Thankfully, the normal AF modes did really well.) The equivalent Sony tracking gets on target and sticks like crazy. Nikon needs to get to that level if it's going to stay my primary camera system. I really do want Nikon to succeed here, but when you shoot the two systems side by side for action, the differences in performance are obvious. Still, I feel like the Z6/7 are more of a mirrorless D750 and really aren't meant to perform like the a9ii (or even the A7R4). So, I'm cautiously optimistic.
Steve, wondering if you’re comparing the Z6ii tracking to the Sony A9 or other Sony bodies too (such as the A7iii and A7RIV? I haven’t used any of the Sonys but have heard the Z6ii is better than the A7iii. Just curious to your experience.

Steve, wondering if you’re comparing the Z6ii tracking to the Sony A9 or other Sony bodies too (such as the A7iii and A7RIV? I haven’t used any of the Sonys but have heard the Z6ii is better than the A7iii. Just curious to your experience.

As far as strictly the tracking mode (not tracking in general, but the actual tracking modes), the Z6ii isn't even in the same city, much less the same ballpark as the Sonys - at least based on my tests so far. I was trying to track seagulls against a mostly blue sky the other day with it. It seemed like no sooner had I locked onto the bird, then tracking area dropped it and went for the sky! I'm going to try it again when I get a chance - this time with the Atomos attached so I can show what's happening.

That said, for slower subjects, the tracking system worked well. Go figure...

Now, if you're not talking the tracking mode and just using something like Wide Small / Large for the birds, the Z6ii does really well - noticeably better than its predecessor. Again, I don't think it's at Sony level but it's very useable.

As far as strictly the tracking mode (not tracking in general, but the actual tracking modes), the Z6ii isn't even in the same city, much less the same ballpark as the Sonys - at least based on my tests so far. I was trying to track seagulls against a mostly blue sky the other day with it. It seemed like no sooner had I locked onto the bird, then tracking area dropped it and went for the sky! I'm going to try it again when I get a chance - this time with the Atomos attached so I can show what's happening.

Now, if you're not talking the tracking mode and just using something like Wide Small / Large for the birds, the Z6ii does really well - noticeably better than its predecessor. Again, I don't think it's at Sony level but it's very useable.
Thanks for the information Steve. I look forward to seeing the results of your testing and hearing more about your experience as you use the camera. As always, I appreciate your honest reviews. I know Nikon will get the tracking worked out at some point; hopefully with a Z6ii/Z7ii firmware update. I have the Z7ii on preorder and keep going back and forth on whether to cancel it and wait for the Z8/Z9. I haven’t used the tracking mode much on my Z6/Z7, mostly the other AF-C modes And they work decent, but I think if it is noticeably better on the ii, it could be just enough to be what I am looking for.

LOL, that's the million dollar question :)

Nikon has a new 600mm on the roadmap that I'm intrigued with. I generally like their ergonomics better, although I think Sony has them in a few areas when taken objectively. At the moment, I really like the Sony 600mm though - it's seems like the best 600mm I've ever used. It also seems to take the 1.4TC better than Nikon's 600 does. (I'm thinking about a formal had-to-head test). So, it's not just the bodies, it's the lenses too.

Well put as usual, I am watching with anticipation.

Honestly, it really depends on where I'm going and what I'm shooting. So many times I'm out and specifically want to test or use a certain camera, so I don't really have a "go-to" camera at the moment, although if I did I'd probably lean a little towards a9ii right now with the 600mm F/4 - and the 100-400 in the bag. It's the kit I'll probably take for my three Africa trips next year. However, in Costa Rica I may go for the D6 and 600mm (and 105 and 300PF - and sometimes the 500PF too) since I think the D6 does a little better in low light. Normally, my D850 would be the second camera on a trip like that, but if the Z7ii performs like the Z6ii, I'll probably take the Z7ii instead of the D850 next time. For my work in the states, especially hiking, I like the Z camera with the 500PF or 180-400, or the Sony a9ii and the 100-400 (and the 600mm in the backpack). The Sony 200-600 is also quite good.

Overall, if there's a theme to this, I kind of feel like I'm slowly leaving DSLRs behind. It wasn't the plan, but that's what's happening! The improved AF of the MKii Z cameras is certainly helping to nudge me along. I've been using the Z6ii and the 500PF or 180-400 in my local park lately and those have proven to be wonderful combos (the Z + 500PF has got to be the best walk-around setup ever).

In days gone by where the wagon trains slowly rolled west in search of a better way of life in a new frontier, they all had scouts for safety, well Steve your It, not until its safe and proven to be safe do we put down roots, LOL

Keep well.

OZ down Under

How about tracking darker-colored birds against the sky? Could it be the camera doesn't like to track white things against a darker background?

How about tracking darker-colored birds against the sky? Could it be the camera doesn't like to track white things against a darker background?

Tough to say - I haven't had any darker birds. Sadly, where I live my opportunities are very limited and there's not a lot of variety. Still, I know when I've faced situations like that with my Sony cameras, they just worked.

Back